Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

FAA Release NEW rules for UAS Operations

BigAl07

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Merry mess or the death of a Hobby.
Happy new year 2021 anyway.

I made it to page 23 B4 I glazed over!!!!
looks like the tax paying public will pay $200MILLION to implement??
Can i swap the "I'm here box" to whichever sUAS since i'm recreational?
also missed the official, "you're now a felon" start date?

I made it to page 23 B4 I glazed over!!!!
looks like the tax paying public will pay $200MILLION to implement??
Can i swap the "I'm here box" to whichever sUAS since i'm recreational?
also missed the official, "you're now a felon" start date?

[INSERT DATE 60 DAYS AND 30 MONTHS AFTER DATE OF PUBLICATION IN THE FEDERAL REGISTER].

In the mid/late 2023. We have a ways to go yet.

This is JUST NOW released so details to follow ASAP!

Remote Identification. A good start from DSPA​

New Rules for Ops Over People (& RID) from DSPA​

Nights Ops and Recurrent Training from DSPA​

So,
As far as I can tell we will have to go for "Retraining for night flights" if we already have the waiver 60 days after it is finalized.
What is going on with flight over people?
Lastly, and probably most important to me because the rest does not mean anything is... does the EVO 1 have RID capabilities built into it, or am i going to have to purchase a RID identifier to mount to it? Would hate to have to purchase another drone at this point. Especially with all the problems I am reading about with the EVO2 Platform!

[INSERT DATE 60 DAYS AND 30 MONTHS AFTER DATE OF PUBLICATION IN THE FEDERAL REGISTER].
Thanks, i kept going into endless loop with that statement
going back for another "missing piece" where/who/what is the "receiver" ?

It is plainly obvious that no matter what signals my Evo-1 does or does not broadcast, I will either break the law by flying according to common sense or draw the unwanted attention of every nearby self-appointed security guard, drone vigilante, and thief by broadcasting my exact base-station position and pilot ID info.

I could avoid unwanted attention by flying in the middle of nowhere -- but I don't live anywhere close to the middle of nowhere. And the FAA's equivalent of RF-ID-free 'dog-walking parks' is no solution.

I thought about switching to a sub-250-gram drone (no transponder required). But a smaller drone overhead without an RF ID will look far more nefarious to paranoid minds than a drone with an RF ID -- and to avoid the wrong end of a baseball bat or gun barrel, I've instead decided to end my drone-flying hobby sometime before the new rules take effect ...perhaps by selling my Evo-1 ...but more likely flying it full-throttle in ludicrous mode, cancelling all RTH modes, and waiting until its video and control signals drop out for good when it crashes into the Atlantic Ocean.

Thanks, i kept going into endless loop with that statement
going back for another "missing piece" where/who/what is the "receiver" ?

Great question. There are already many companies out there that specialize in observing/tracking/jamming drones. There's plenty of time yet for all the alphabet agencies to start rolling out receivers to themselves and to LEO before the rules go into effect. My guess is you'll be seeing the receivers in and around stadiums, huge public events, slapped next to or integrated into 5G "towers", added into passenger planes.. Just to name a few that I can think of.

Now if you're out flying in the middle of nowhere Montana, there's probably not going to be many receivers.

It is plainly obvious that no matter what signals my Evo-1 does or does not broadcast, I will either break the law by flying according to common sense or draw the unwanted attention of every nearby self-appointed security guard, drone vigilante, and thief by broadcasting my exact base-station position and pilot ID info.

I could avoid unwanted attention by flying in the middle of nowhere -- but I don't live anywhere close to the middle of nowhere. And the FAA's equivalent of RF-ID-free 'dog-walking parks' is no solution.

I thought about switching to a sub-250-gram drone (no transponder required). But a smaller drone overhead without an RF ID will look far more nefarious to paranoid minds than a drone with an RF ID -- and to avoid the wrong end of a baseball bat or gun barrel, I've instead decided to end my drone-flying hobby sometime before the new rules take effect ...perhaps by selling my Evo-1 ...but more likely flying it full-throttle in ludicrous mode, cancelling all RTH modes, and waiting until its video and control signals drop out for good when it crashes into the Atlantic Ocean.
unfortunately flying a drone is no different than any other outdoor activity and you have to be prepared for confrontation whether it's a criminal or a friendly. I don't plan to give up the hobby as I am well prepared to deal with the upcoming issues. but I agree with you, interesting times are coming.

You have o love the way Bruce throws info out for you to think about. Sometimes hard to listen to but he does have his points. :)

He's easy enough to understand. He's got good points. A good one is that if you start indoors without gps lock and then go outside, per the rules, the drone is no longer broadcasting the takeoff signal. Per the rules, I read through them, the addon transmitters have to broadcast the drones takeoff coordinates. Built in transmitters, ones that will be integrated by manufacturers, have to broadcast the pilot/control station coordinates.

All messed up stuff really but in a few years time, drones sold second hand could be worth more than what they were initially bought for. ;)

The video was great, answered all my ??'s, guilty, even if you can prove innocents o_O
adding complexity to any system just increases the fail rate. you can tell the AC is acting up, but an addon black box? do I have continually monitor it while monitoring the AC, do I get a TXT alert, dummy, your black box just bricked?? and I still can't get past the price tag for the tax payers

He's easy enough to understand. He's got good points. A good one is that if you start indoors without gps lock and then go outside, per the rules, the drone is no longer broadcasting the takeoff signal. Per the rules, I read through them, the addon transmitters have to broadcast the drones takeoff coordinates. Built in transmitters, ones that will be integrated by manufacturers, have to broadcast the pilot/control station coordinates.

All messed up stuff really but in a few years time, drones sold second hand could be worth more than what they were initially bought for. ;)
the price will only increase (by a little) if drone flyers place any value on full compliance and I'm betting they won't. unless there is an official list of "exempt" drones by the time these rules go into full effect years from now, this will all become old news. from what I have been reading and hearing "so far" this is a nothing burger. just slap a $25 rid device on your drone and go about your day. I hope that's all it amounts to.

Oh...and you have to wear all white so everyone can spot you in public. That was in Section C, Appendix G, Subsection 1.3-11. Penalty for not wearing all white is $50,000 and a 16 month jail sentence.

• Haha
Reactions: Jagerbomb52
. just slap a $25 rid device on your drone and go about your day. I hope that's all it amounts to.
BTW, is it possible to get a receiver right now? It would be helpful to know if something big is flying around.

As for the rules, it you take a look from the other side it makes sense. While most pilots are responsible some do things from annoying to illegal, like dropping things, stalking, harrasing, flying close to airports. Of course everyone wants to be able to identify the drone's owner, easily tell apart legal from illegal.

I don't have clear plans after 2.5 years. Looking at the videos I think Evo already payed for itself. I'll use the time left to take more, then probably switch to sub 250 FPV completely.

PS: Broadcasting pilot's location is too much I think. But it could be worst, at least we don't have to selfreport over the internet to every axxhole in real time. Like it was initially intended.

my "understanding", the AC already transmits the information since i have it displayed on the RC/smart device. seems "law enforcement", with some OEM SW tweaks could have all the same info. Gov'mnt being Gov'mnt needs to add more ^&** to impress the boss, efficiency be damned

^^yep I think it's going to be really easy to pull off. "when" and "price" is all that matters which I don't think there is anything available working today. I don't like it but imho, the government caved in on this.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kestrel