Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

FAA Extends Remote ID Enforcement Date Six Months

Status
Not open for further replies.

GFields

Staff Member
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
FAA Extends Remote ID Enforcement Date Six Months

Drone pilots who are unable to comply with the broadcast requirement of the Remote ID Rule will now have until March 16, 2024, to equip their aircraft. After that date, operators could face fines and suspension or revocation of pilot certificates.
In making this decision, the FAA recognizes the unanticipated issues that some operators are experiencing finding some remote identification broadcast modules.
Drone pilots can meet this deadline by purchasing a standard Remote ID equipped drone from a manufacturer or purchasing a Remote ID broadcast module which can be affixed to existing drones that do not have Remote ID equipment.
Remote ID acts like a digital license plate and will help the FAA, law enforcement, and other federal agencies find the control station when a drone appears to be flying in an unsafe manner or where it is not allowed to fly.
Learn more here.
Also here

GFields,

What you are stating here is not 100% accurate. The FAA did not extend the RID requirement. They created an “Enforcement Decretion“ policy and were supposed to publish it on 15 SEP 2023, but I haven’t confirmed it was published.

What this means is the will decide on a case by case basis, if they will take action against pilot, who is flying without RID.

I’ve worked for the government for 37 years and I’ve seen how these types of decisions give government works unlimited power.

Do I think it will go badly? I’m cautiously optimistic they will do the right thing. I’ve seen how this type of ambiguous policy making can go badly.

People misinterpreting the ”Enforcement Discretion“ policy as a get out of jail free card or an extension could cause them problems.

Is there anything we can do, beyond not being a roque pilot and following the establish Part 107 rules, absolutely not.

I will share with the group. Autel After-sales Tech Support told me, in their last email, they will have a solution for the EVO II V3 by the end of September 2023. I truly hope this happens for all of us flying this drone.

GFields,

What you are stating here is not 100% accurate. The FAA did not extend the RID requirement. They created an “Enforcement Decretion“ policy and were supposed to publish it on 15 SEP 2023, but I haven’t confirmed it was published.

What this means is the will decide on a case by case basis, if they will take action against pilot, who is flying without RID.

I’ve worked for the government for 37 years and I’ve seen how these types of decisions give government works unlimited power.

Do I think it will go badly? I’m cautiously optimistic they will do the right thing. I’ve seen how this type of ambiguous policy making can go badly.

People misinterpreting the ”Enforcement Discretion“ policy as a get out of jail free card or an extension could cause them problems.

Is there anything we can do, beyond not being a roque pilot and following the establish Part 107 rules, absolutely not.

I will share with the group. Autel After-sales Tech Support told me, in their last email, they will have a solution for the EVO II V3 by the end of September 2023. I truly hope this happens for all of us flying this drone.
You need to re-read my post! Notice even the Title "FAA Extends Remote ID Enforcement Date Six Months" For someone who has worked for the government for 37 years, may I suggest you slow down as you read? Furthermore, I provided two links for anyone to view the FAA documentation for themselves. Therefore, I did not "misrepresent" anything!

Reactions: bedellrt
You need to re-read my post! Notice even the Title "FAA Extends Remote ID Enforcement Date Six Months" For someone who has worked for the government for 37 years, may I suggest you slow down as you read? Furthermore, I provided two links for anyone to view the FAA documentation for themselves. Therefore, I did not "misrepresent" anything!
I did see Enforcement in the title but the first paragraph of your post it clearly suggests the FAA has granted an extension on the RID requirement.

Your first paragraph is as follows:

“Drone pilots who are unable to comply with the broadcast requirement of the Remote ID Rule will now have until March 16, 2024, to equip their aircraft. After that date, operators could face fines and suspension or revocation of pilot certificates.”

In fact, if the FAA uses their discretion to take action against a pilot in Dec 23, in reality there is no extension for said pilot.

There is a definitive difference in these two scenarios.

I did see Enforcement in the title but the first paragraph of your post it clearly suggests the FAA has granted an extension on the RID requirement.

Your first paragraph is as follows:

“Drone pilots who are unable to comply with the broadcast requirement of the Remote ID Rule will now have until March 16, 2024, to equip their aircraft. After that date, operators could face fines and suspension or revocation of pilot certificates.”

In fact, if the FAA uses their discretion to take action against a pilot in Dec 23, in reality there is no extension for said pilot.

There is a definitive difference in these two scenarios.
If you take the time to follow the links you will discover that what I wrote was a direct quote from the FAA website.

FAA Extends Remote ID Enforcement Date Six Months​

Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Drone pilots who are unable to comply with the broadcast requirement of the Remote ID Rule will now have until March 16, 2024, to equip their aircraft. After that date, operators could face fines and suspension or revocation of pilot certificates.
In making this decision, the FAA recognizes the unanticipated issues that some operators are experiencing finding some remote identification broadcast modules.
Drone pilots can meet this deadline by purchasing a standard Remote ID equipped drone from a manufacturer or purchasing a Remote ID broadcast module which can be affixed to existing drones that do not have Remote ID equipment.
Remote ID acts like a digital license plate and will help the FAA, law enforcement, and other federal agencies find the control station when a drone appears to be flying in an unsafe manner or where it is not allowed to fly.

Follow the links and read what it says and try not to read anything into it.

I am not going to argue with you as we are saying the same thing. Let's move on.

Think you need to re-read the issue - esp the first link you posted direct from the FAA.

Here it is:
"Drone pilots who do not have Remote ID-ready drones may opt to fly within a FAA-Recognized Identification Area (FRIA)"

A couple of reasons for the extension - #1 - drone manufacturers not updating their drones until about Dec '23 (DJI mainly). #2 - modules are in short supply and high price - but the "extension" does not stop being enforced Sep 16th. #3 - FRIA's. The FAA is super far behind on approving FRIA's - you know, those places drone pilots can fly their non-RID drones. Currently about 400 out of the approx 2,000 FRIA's submissions.

Will the FAA fine or whatever they supposedly do when pilots are caught outside of the rules? Probably as much as they did before - maybe less than 5% and that's being really high. The main group of Law Enforcement whom RID will mainly handled by - can fine a non-RID drone after Sept 16th IF they even have the equipment. I'm sure the only pilots any LE will be tough on are those who interfere with their operations during emergencies or those whom really fly outside the rules and cause public safety issues. ALL SPECULATION until we start hearing of people caught.

Several very reliable vloggers like Greg from Pilot Institute have videos on the subject. Most are pretty short except for one that "Geeksvana" posted that is close to an hour. Geeksvana has a cut and pasted response video from Kevin of the FAA who is like the FAA Spokesperson on RID and drone subjects.

I suggest listening to Pilot Institute or other verifiable drone vloggers. Greg is one of the better ones who state what they personally have talked with Kevin (or Kevin appearing in videos) at the FAA, read the rules, and get clarification before posting a video so that the "truth" is put out there. Not everyone's personal opinion.

Think you need to re-read the issue - esp the first link you posted direct from the FAA.
I prefer to use the FAA as my source of information. After all, it is the FAA that will be enforcing RID, I subscribe to Pilot Institute and have watched the video you posted.
I don't understand where the confusion is coming from concerning my post. Especially since it is a direct quote from the FAA website.

I am stating the same thing about the "enforcement" being delayed as Greg in the video is saying and the previous post. Therefore, I will reiterate, RID is here as of today, Sept. 16, 2023, but the enforcement of the rule has been delayed (actually the FAA will be looking at it on a case-by-case basis). As far as the "first link" goes, it takes one to the FAA website to learn more about RID, how RID works, and how to get ready for it. So, again, I don't follow you. I see no difference in what I posted and what you're saying.

I think at this point I'll take this Thread under advisement. The last thing I want to see is confusion about preparing for RID.

Reactions: bedellrt
I prefer to use the FAA as my source of information. After all, it is the FAA that will be enforcing RID, I subscribe to Pilot Institute and have watched the video you posted.
I don't understand where the confusion is coming from concerning my post. Especially since it is a direct quote from the FAA website.

I am stating the same thing about the "enforcement" being delayed as Greg in the video is saying and the previous post. Therefore, I will reiterate, RID is here as of today, Sept. 16, 2023, but the enforcement of the rule has been delayed (actually the FAA will be looking at it on a case-by-case basis). As far as the "first link" goes, it takes one to the FAA website to learn more about RID, how RID works, and how to get ready for it. So, again, I don't follow you. I see no difference in what I posted and what you're saying.

I think at this point I'll take this Thread under advisement. The last thing I want to see is confusion about preparing for RID.
What you miss from it all - as I posted the line from the FAA website is - RID is in full effect, yet for a small group of pilots has it been extended to March '24. If you own a drone today - Sept 16th - you are required to have RID - plain and simple. The extension per the FAA website and the copy / paste I posted - you can fly a non-RID compliant drone in a FRIA only without being possibly fined or whatever the FAA may or may not do.

That's the main point you are missing - have RID today - Sept 16th. Really simple and Greg a P.I. pointed it out clearly. Don't have RID drone - fly in a FRIA, get a module, fly without RID and be prepared for the consequences, or buy a RID drone. 100 people can read the FAA website and walk away with a probable 100 different opinions. Greg and others have specifically talked to Kevin at the FAA for specifics and that is what they report on their videos - as so much confusion reigns and people keep posting FALSE info on the subject.

No longer beating this dead horse. You (and all others) fly as you wish - compliant or not. Just be ready for the consequences and doubtful it will be the FAA knocking on your door.

What you miss from it all - as I posted the line from the FAA website is - RID is in full effect, yet for a small group of pilots has it been extended to March '24. If you own a drone today - Sept 16th - you are required to have RID - plain and simple. The extension per the FAA website and the copy / paste I posted - you can fly a non-RID compliant drone in a FRIA only without being possibly fined or whatever the FAA may or may not do.

That's the main point you are missing - have RID today - Sept 16th. Really simple and Greg a P.I. pointed it out clearly. Don't have RID drone - fly in a FRIA, get a module, fly without RID and be prepared for the consequences, or buy a RID drone. 100 people can read the FAA website and walk away with a probable 100 different opinions. Greg and others have specifically talked to Kevin at the FAA for specifics and that is what they report on their videos - as so much confusion reigns and people keep posting FALSE info on the subject.

No longer beating this dead horse. You (and all others) fly as you wish - compliant or not. Just be ready for the consequences and doubtful it will be the FAA knocking on your door.
And THAT is exactly what I said!

Time to close this thread and move on.

@GFields stated it correctly and provided relevant and verified links for you all to read. It appears some of us just like to argue for the sake of arguing and that's nothing less than exhausting and a total waste of time.

First off it's not a "small group" who can't get RID compliant per the scheduled date. It's a VERY large group and if you'll go back and watch one of Greg's last videos he clearly gives some very good stats. It's a VERY significant group and not an easy task to get everyone "compliant" to say the least.

The FAA isn't going to come knocking on anyone's door unless there is an incident or report. If there is, and an investigation takes place then all bets are off and you'd better have your ducks in a row.

RID is in FULL effect for UAS operators flying aircraft that are RID Compliant. For those who are flying aircraft not compliant, there is a DEFERRED ENFORCEMENT (I call it a grace period) until March 2024. It's really that simple regardless of how much you try to read into it or try to twist words.

I'm going to re-open this thread, for now, but enough of this wordsmithing and trying to twist the announcement around. @GFields was merely the messenger (and did a great job) and if you don't agree with the message please feel free to reach out to your local FAA Rep for guidance. If you need their contact information I am more than happy to provide. Who knows, I might be your local contact . . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo