Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO II V3 Smart Controller - Will Not Charge

4Kbuzzard

Reaction score
Stoked to receive the EVO II RTK V3 Friday, immediately started charging batteries and controller prior to booting so everything would be ready for FW updates etc. I have a ton of DJI equipment and they always need updates right out of the box so I was prepared for that LOL. Booted up controller and drone, drone immediately applied a battery updated on it's own. Controller was oddly sitting at 20% though after hours of sitting plugged in with lights indicating it was charging.

I've been trying every combination I have to get this thing to take a charge while it dies a slow death apparently. Supplied power brick with supplied USB-C to USB-C cable, using the "laptop" port on the charger which I assume would charge the fastest. Nothing, tried the other USB-C port, nothing. Grabbed a new Anker 735 Charger that can run at 65W that I use on my iPads and MacBooks to charge over USB-C, nothing.

Here's the weirdest part: The green charging LED's are lighting up sequentially like it is charging, but the OS gives no sign that it's charging. It's like the board knows it's plugged in but Android does not. I checked for system updates and app updates and they all say I'm up to date. I suppose that's good because I'm now down to 10% battery. At this point it seems like even if a FW was pushed out to solve this I may not have enough juice to perform it.

I submitted a ticket through email this AM but have not heard back. Didn't know if I was alone in this issue or if anyone had some ideas for me!

Received my evo II v3 6k RTK yesterday, it took almost as long to charge the controller the first time as it did the 4 batteries plugged into docking hub, I finally decided to check the controller charger connections and pulled and reconnected them, though it all seemed secure, and I saw the charging rate increase notably after the reconnect, so I must have had something not fully connected. You may wish to swap cable ends and be sure they are bottomEd out tight.
my issue is I cannot get connected to my home wi-if router to register my new drone and smart controller, my computers, tv, and phone all connect as always to the 2.4 G connection, but the Autel controller sees my neighbors wi-if connections but not mine. The manual doesn’t give any trouble shooting info, so I thought i would reach out. One note , I do turn off the SSID network name broadcast, always have for decades and this is the first time I believe that could be the issue..?

Reactions: 4Kbuzzard
My rugged bundle came with an Autel 65w charger just for controller- (120v plug) with usb-c cable to connect just for smart controller; the 4 battery charging hub; and the charger you mentioned with battery/ multi battery hub connection and USB port.
For my new drone registration —-internet connection I also tried to use my iPhone as a hot spot but I got the message that the phone did not have an internet connection from smart controller, wondering if that may be due to issues between android controller and my iOS device..
as I was charging the new evo smart controller the leds did sequentiall blink as if charging, but none stayed on to indicate an increase in stored potential until after I swapped usb-c cable ends between the 65 w charger and smart controller charging port, once I made the swap and really made sure the plug ends were bottomed out, I almost immediately saw the controller leds start staying on progressively to indicate an increased potential….
I hope you find this is all it is….

Last edited:
Reactions: 4Kbuzzard
@RussJB_03 I can't believe flipping the cable around worked but it appears to be charging now. Thank you! Seems a little slow on the charge but it was dead, like 0% dead when I came in to work this AM so it has a long way to go. I flipped the cable around as soon as I came in the door and it gave the same indications it had before but after about 5min the power brick was warm and it had never previously been warm so I knew it was at least sending some juice through it this time.

As to the wifi, mine joined the network flawlessly right away. Probably is the lack of SSID being broadcast on the main network and with the iOS hotsopts I have found that with some of my other devices you have to go in to the hotspot settings on the iPhone and turn on the maximize capability option for them to be able to join. The emlid GPS is finicky about that as well.

@RussJB_03 I can't believe flipping the cable around worked but it appears to be charging now. Thank you! Seems a little slow on the charge but it was dead, like 0% dead when I came in to work this AM so it has a long way to go. I flipped the cable around as soon as I came in the door and it gave the same indications it had before but after about 5min the power brick was warm and it had never previously been warm so I knew it was at least sending some juice through it this time.

As to the wifi, mine joined the network flawlessly right away. Probably is the lack of SSID being broadcast on the main network and with the iOS hotsopts I have found that with some of my other devices you have to go in to the hotspot settings on the iPhone and turn on the maximize capability option for them to be able to join. The emlid GPS is finicky about that as well.
Good deal, glad to hear That’s all the issue was.
When I made the SSID broadcast visible on my wi-fi network I was able to connect immediately and got my drone registered with Autel, need to register with the FAA drone zone , per Autel Official I contacted , even though these v3 drones have the RID capability, it won’t be enabled until sometime in the future before deadline when Autel sends out the firmware update that will enable it.
weather rainy and windy so it may be awhile before I get to test fly the new model. Guess if we don’t have the drone connected to either a phone or other cellular connected device while flying we won’t have map view ability..??

Stoked to receive the EVO II RTK V3 Friday, immediately started charging batteries and controller prior to booting so everything would be ready for FW updates etc. I have a ton of DJI equipment and they always need updates right out of the box so I was prepared for that LOL. Booted up controller and drone, drone immediately applied a battery updated on it's own. Controller was oddly sitting at 20% though after hours of sitting plugged in with lights indicating it was charging.

I've been trying every combination I have to get this thing to take a charge while it dies a slow death apparently. Supplied power brick with supplied USB-C to USB-C cable, using the "laptop" port on the charger which I assume would charge the fastest. Nothing, tried the other USB-C port, nothing. Grabbed a new Anker 735 Charger that can run at 65W that I use on my iPads and MacBooks to charge over USB-C, nothing.

Here's the weirdest part: The green charging LED's are lighting up sequentially like it is charging, but the OS gives no sign that it's charging. It's like the board knows it's plugged in but Android does not. I checked for system updates and app updates and they all say I'm up to date. I suppose that's good because I'm now down to 10% battery. At this point it seems like even if a FW was pushed out to solve this I may not have enough juice to perform it.

I submitted a ticket through email this AM but have not heard back. Didn't know if I was alone in this issue or if anyone had some ideas for me!
Please keep me posted as I just bought an Evo2 V3 myself will be here on Monday. If I have an issue I will post it thank you for your post

I have the same issue the damn controller took 4 days to fully charge, they told me I had to send it back to be looked at. For as much money as this set up cost this should not be happening and it’s a 3 week lead time!

This is the third time I've asked you for the source DNG file from evo 2 v3. Can you post it here? Why are you ignoring my request? You keep writing here, but it's like you don't read the previous posts.

the main question about charging duration on the smart controller V3 sounds similar to those charging related questions about V1 and V2. I suggest to read these topics first before starting a new thread.

If you have V3, share here with DNG and mp4 4k from this drone.

@belui sorry for the delayed response. My controller is dead. Again. No controller, no shots. Start a new thread and hopefully someone will have one that doesn't suck that can help you out.

Anyhow, back on topic. I'd strongly caution others about adopting this setup as I have had ZERO response from Autel emailing tech support. I did update the app and android to the latest versions (again) after it refused to charge again. Got those updates done and rebooted. Nothing.

Swapped cable ends, swapped cables, swapped AC adapters, nothing works to charge this garbage.

Will be doing an RMA from where I purchased from if I don't hear back from Autel tomorrow.

Late to the party here but I had the same issues with my EVO II DUAL RTK V3. the controller wouldn't charge past 40% and then dumped the OS completely. AUTEL's customer service was less than helpful all they can do is repair your controller and send it back to you. Posting their repair order below. Drone Nerds ended up helping me out and saving my investment in trying to fly commercially. AUTEL has lost my business

Autel Robotics Service & Repair

ORDER SER8450​

Your service order is confirmed.​

Thank you for the opportunity to service your unit. We will notify you when your service is complete.
In the meantime, please contact us at [email protected] if you have any questions or concerns.

Order summary​

Smart Controller 7.9 Screen Assembly × 1
$180.00​
Main PCB 7.9 V2 Smart Controller × 1
$400.00​
Labor × 1
1 hours
$65.00​
Discount
$-645.00
Subtotal
$0.00
Shipping
$0.00
Total
$0.00 USD

I am having the same issue with my controller, what do you mean by flipping the cable? one end is USB and the other is a C? I did switch to the 65W block and usbC to usbC cable see what happens.

Last edited:
İ had same problem. Try lots of type-c cable. Anyway " i take out RC BATTERY, than wait 5 minutes. Than tryed. İts done."
Hope it works for everyone.

Attachments

• F4A20B9B-4179-429E-BD55-A507EAEB6460.jpeg
    F4A20B9B-4179-429E-BD55-A507EAEB6460.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 16
Nothing new, my V1 controller takes all night to charge and I finally gave up at 95% not a new issue or issue of V3. it's unfortunate that I barely have time to fly so I really haven't charged more than 3 times but it truly is a big problem they have here

Hi
I have the same problem on my new Evo 2 Smart controller. The greern lights are blinking but no charging after 4 hours.
Down to 20% now...

Hello
Brand new v3 controller. Initial charge was ok first time. Subsequent charge same as others experience. I'm at 50 percent and dying..blinking charging lights..hours charging
Factory brick
Factory connectors ..tried swapping ends
Tried anker 65 watt charger
No joy

Customer service never answered
Email not answered yet..several days

I'm using this for public safety leo work
It's a 1000 dollar paperweight right now
The first use was awesome...

Autel your customer service needs a complete revamping

Has anyone here had success with getting past this issue? I wish I had found this thread before ordering the V3 RTK, I've got a V2 RTK that I've been using all year, decided it would be good to have a second unit available to start training someone on (and in case of unexpected loss of the first) and instead I've got a controller that won't take a charge even out of the box. Doesn't matter if I use the supplied 65W charger or another 65W that I have, LED's all blink, but the battery doesn't increase at all.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials