Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo II took off out of control and crashed in water

Quad 808,
What a brilliant explanation, you have hit it right on the head and the owner also acknowledged the fact that he had COMPASS ERROR NOTICES. In the old days 10 years ago everything was no GPS, no OA, no AUTO STABLE HOVER. You were happy for being able to gain the experience to make it hove with your stick controls thereby gaining experience for your machine.
I bet that most pilots or drone users would NOT BE ABLE TO FLY A MISSION MANUALLY. THIS MEANS THAT THEY DONT HAVE AN UNDERSTANDING OF THERE MACHINE. When I and My BUsiness partner got our commercial drone license we had to fly several different courses in manual mode ( we were given DJI p4 and we were using Yuneec TYPHOON H ), we will continue to see more flyaways and problems because they are NOT REQUIRING CUSTOMERS TO HAVE A BASIC FLYNG COURSE. That's my 2 bobs worth.
Johnno Hennessy. Australia

Reactions: Quad808
Thank you Johnno! I am old school like you...learned the manual way, built my own quads and hex copters, crashed..(sometimes...part of the learning process) etc. Those "young kids nowadays" LOL, don't know the brain strain of how to program a Taranis RC etc.
Thats ok though...we just have to learn 'em...and give them some of our knowledge to help.

Reactions: John Hennessy
Thank you Johnno! I am old school like you...learned the manual way, built my own quads and hex copters, crashed..(sometimes...part of the learning process) etc. Those "young kids nowadays" LOL, don't know the brain strain of how to program a Taranis RC etc.
Thats ok though...we just have to learn 'em...and give them some of our knowledge to help.

Great explanation, old school here as well, used to fly RC helicopters. My takeoff sequence is very close to yours except I always start the tablet first since it takes the longest to startup, I then start the RC so that in case the drone goes nuts when I power it on I might have a chance to control it before something happens, then I start the drone last. I also watch the satellite acquisition process and closely monitor any alerts during the startup sequence as the drone boots up.

Reactions: John Hennessy
S
herein2021 is spot on about taking off near any metal, especially buried metal such as rebar in sidewalks. Remember that the compass is very, VERY sensitive. Remember also how these drones operate....the IMU tells the "brain" what is level and the compass tells the "brain" which direction is which, along with GPS coordinates, but GPS coordinates are worthless if the drone doesn't know which direction is which. Let me explain.
Lets say you take off with a compass error, but all else is working correctly...IMU, GPS, downward sensor is also working, provided there is enough light for the drone to "see" the ground and hold steady in a hover. The drone, because the compass is messed up, doesn't have the correct "directions" on what is N,S, E and W in order to fly correctly. You tell it to go north, but the compass tells the "brain" it is going south...well...guess what happens? The drone will try to go what it "thinks" is north, (by the info being sent from the compass) and because of the compass error, it actually goes south. It reads the GPS coordinates, "knows" that it must go north, so it accelerates in the direction it thinks is north, but it is actually south. Then seeing the GPS coordinates changing, it doubles down and goes faster to correct itself in the direction it "thinks" it is going to get to the correct cooridinates and viola! you get a fly away. Lets add one more factor...GPS reception. GPS tells the drone where it is in 3D space, based on the corridinates received by MULTIPLE satellites. All good right? Not if the compass is messed up. If the directions that the compass is telling the drone it is traveling in is wrong, the drone will double and triple down in trying to correct itself to go in the direction, N,S,E,W it believes it is going in, in order to match the GPS info. ALL has to work together in order for the drone to be smart enough to be able to be "smart" and move about correctly.
Lets add one more factor, again, getting back to GPS and home point. Lets say you just had a great flight, nothing wrong at all...came back home, maybe switched out batteries right away, or waited a bit and immediately took off and started flying. Lets also say that you didn't wait for the correct amount of satellites to be "seen", being that your drone always "just works" and you wanted to get in another flight. You take off and everything seems ok, but let go of the sticks and the drone just starts flying all by itself, going faster and faster in the WRONG direction? You may or may not be able to "steer" it, but the controls seem all wonky....you are probably flying without GPS...so the drone doesn't "know" where it is in 3D space and can't hold a hover. Lets also say you panic (understandable) and hit RTH...well...without correct GPS the drone will just fly off in the direction it "thinks" is correct. Another flyaway.
Lets add one more scenario. Same as above, but the last time you flew was at your favorite spot and this time you take off from anywhere else not near that spot and don't wait for home point to be updated and because you have never, ever had any such thing as a flyaway...(that only happens to people who don't know what they are doing, dontcha know!) you start your flight, but the drone doesn't respond like normal and you hit RTH. Well...if home point was not updated....the drone will fly to the last confirmed home point it has....that being the last place you flew and home point was updated. Another fly away.
Lets talk about one more thing...the IMU. Lets say the IMU is not calibrated correctly for whatever reason. When you take off and to your eyes the drone is perfectly level, lets say the not correct IMU tells the brain that the drone is "tilted" in whatever direction, and off level by 20%. Guess what happens? The IMU tells the "brain" that it needs to correct itself by tilting 20% in the opposite direction to be level. Uh oh...another flyaway.

So, Quad, mister smarty pants, why then can we fly indoors without any GPS signals, huh? Well...you have the downward sensor that reads the ground and can override everything to hold steady in a hover, provided there is enough light and contrast on the ground for the sensor to "see" the difference, allowing the drone to hold steady in a hover, despite the IMU maybe being off, or compass etc.

Hopefully you can now appreciate how critical it is to having a correct compass calibration. GPS positioning is worthless to a drone if the compass is messed up. Pay close attention to the # of satellites and pay even more close attention to any "magnetic interference" messages. No matter how "smart" these drones are, we, as pilots, need to do our due diligence to ensure everything is working and we have a safe flight. Never be in such a rush to get in a flight that you don't go through your mental check list and give the drone the time it needs after it is turned on to acquire enough satellites and stay away from launching around metal, including sidewalks. I have also had compass errors when taking off from sidewalks, so using herein2021's method of using the case to get distance away from metal is a good one.

One more that I just thought of. Lets say you take off without updating home point....meaning the drone didn't get enough satellite info to get home point coordinates. You fly out and then the drone gets enough satellite info and bam! updates home point at that spot. Guess where the drone is going to fly to when you hit RTH? Yep, wherever it last updated home point. Yet another thing to be aware of.

Wait...one more. Last one, I promise.
Why when we fly in our favorite spot where we have flown may times before, does it sometimes take 5-10 even 20 minutes for enough satellites to be acquired in order to update home point? Satellite position info (where they are in the sky) is sent to the drone via a file from the sats themselves, called a catalogue. This catalogue gets updated and can expire on the drone...(I don't know how long it keeps) If the catalogue is not current, it will need updating if you haven't flown in a while. So that means the drone will need to sit, before taking off, with good satellite reception (clear view of the sky overhead, no trees etc) in order for the latest catalogue info to be received by the drone, from the satellites. This can take some time, depending on how many satellites the drone can obtain reception from. Always, ALWAYS wait until you have enough satellites before taking off. 2 huge reasons for fly aways...bad compass and not enough satellite reception.

Hope this info helps anyone. My startup order? I start the drone first. Set it on a level, or as close to level ground, table etc as possible and don't touch it as it starts up. Then I back away, and turn on the RC. Let it connect to the drone. Not in a hurry. Then once connected, I connect the RC to my phone/tablet etc. Never in a rush. This gives the drone the needed time to acquire satellites. Once all connected, I check the app and look for any error messages, check the camera settings etc and make sure all is to my liking. No errors? Enough satellites? Then I take off and go up about 10 feet/3 meters and let it hover. All good? Home point updated? I then take off vertical and let it hover again. Check controls. All good? Then I do my flight. If the controls are not responsive in anyway at all, drone is drifting etc, I bring it down safely and turn everything off, and restart the whole procedure over again. Knock on wood. I have never, ever had a fly away with a GPS drone. OH yes, I have crashed drones before (home builds...mostly early on in my flying experience), but taking the time, knowing how complex these are in order to do automated things we take for granted, means I am never in a rush to get back in the air too quickly. Even after doing all of this, you can still have a hardware or software error and get a flyway or crash.

*as a disclaimer, any and all info above can be corrected if I am wrong, and I won't be offended in any way. Feel free.*
Sounds like short and simple take away is, wait, take your time before take off. Wait until your aircraft has completed self test, the gimbal is ready, GPS acquisition is good, IMU and compass indicate they are good and no errors. Then and only then, if all is good with aircraft, app/controller, as well as your surroundings, then go ahead and takeoff, do a quick check, and fly your mission safely. Btw, apps such as UAV Forecast are great for giving input on how many visible sats as well as KP factor which can impact your aircraft ;).

old school here as well,
I leaned to drive with a non- syncomesh stick shift, double clutching, doesn't mean I want to do it again! ;)

Wait until your aircraft has completed self test, the gimbal is ready, GPS acquisition is good, IMU and compass indicate they are good and no errors.
Yup, the AC is quite amazing IF you give it a minute. once I have a "green board", I lift off to eye level and hover, maybe 1-2min, verify camera, do a slow 360, then if all looks good, I'm off to the races

Reactions: gschulzuio
I have an Evo 2 Pro. I love it! Once, I tried to take off and the controller said "magnetic interference" and it would not take off. Then I noticed the high power lines near by. I drove to another area and again tried to take off and got the same warning and it would not take off. Those High power lines were over a quarter mile away! I guess I'm lucky I wasn't able to bypass the warning! The Drone/controller was smarter than me!

S

Sounds like short and simple take away is, wait, take your time before take off. Wait until your aircraft has completed self test, the gimbal is ready, GPS acquisition is good, IMU and compass indicate they are good and no errors. Then and only then, if all is good with aircraft, app/controller, as well as your surroundings, then go ahead and takeoff, do a quick check, and fly your mission safely. Btw, apps such as UAV Forecast are great for giving input on how many visible sats as well as KP factor which can impact your aircraft ;).
Dang.....I should have just wrote your reply. LOL!! Spot on......:D

S

Yes! I've certainly learned a valuable lesson here.

Great thread however it’s not a good idea to lift off 100 feet to test anything. If something is wrong you have a much better chance at 6 feet to get it down than at 100 feet. In his case if it were 100 feet when it flew off to the hedge it would have flown off at 100 feet and been lost.

I flown nearly everything off concrete With rebar with no problem even with warnings. Once the machine is 2 feet it will no longer affect the calibration. There is hundreds of guys who lift metal off car roofs with no problems.

Not saying you should fly off concrete or a roof but I strongly feel these are internal cpu problems rather than a problem caused externally..

Stay Safe Mike

Great thread however it’s not a good idea to lift off 100 feet to test anything. If something is wrong you have a much better chance at 6 feet to get it down than at 100 feet. In his case if it were 100 feet when it flew off to the hedge it would have flown off at 100 feet and been lost.

I flown nearly everything off concrete With rebar with no problem even with warnings. Once the machine is 2 feet it will no longer affect the calibration. There is hundreds of guys who lift metal off car roofs with no problems.

Not saying you should fly off concrete or a roof but I strongly feel these are internal cpu problems rather than a problem caused externally..

Stay Safe Mike

I have been doing this startup sequence with every single drone I have owned since 2014; never lost one due to it. Its been my experience most of the things that cause a drone to crash (GPS signal and compass problems), are more likely to correct themselves middair away from obstructions than near the source of the issue. I also have to stand in the road quite a bit or watch for pedestrians or cars when filming projects with bystanders or people coming over to watch the drone take off or wanting to strike up a conversation during the takeoff or landing sequence being a big part of the problem; in all of these scenarios 100' up to me is safer than anything closer to the ground.

After 7yrs and probably over 1000 miles flown all over the country and overseas; I'm going to trust my process. I know it seems counter intuitive, but its what works for me. An important component though to this startup process is to not take off at all if there are any errors on the screen.

Recently I was flying my Evo II at a nearby lake. I'd been flying around for 30 minutes without issues. All firmware up to date. After the first flight , I brought it back to switch out the battery. I started it up and began to fly it out when all of a sudden the thing went haywire. The drone started flying out a few feet above the water and out of my control. I tried to control it, but it would not respond. It landed in the water and sank. I had no way of getting it and assumed it would be fried from the water damage. I called Autel and sent them the flight data....haven't heard back yet. I don't know if they can tell me anything since that very last flight did not appear in the data....only the next to last flight. It all happened so fast, but I think there was an error message about compass interference seconds before it flew off. Also, I had been using a tracking device on the drone in case it ever went down. Any thoughts?
I had an evo 2 8k do a fly away over lake conroe an autel determined it was imu error they sent a replacement

I had an evo 2 8k do a fly away over lake conroe an autel determined it was imu error they sent a replacement
I think Autel's customer support is anything but consistent. I contacted them after the flyaway and they told me to send the flight records. I sent them, but they never responded back.

Reactions: PingSpike

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller