Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO II Pro - Gimbal calibration a no-go with Freewell ND installed

Radioman56

Reaction score
Hi Guys! This may have been discussed before, but I was wondering if others had the same situation pop up when doing a
Gimbal Calibration w/ the Freewell ND filter attached. I can't for the life of me understand why having the filter on would
affect the calibration, but I received the "calibration failed" message the 1st nine attempts I made. The only thing I did
differently was install the Freewell NDPL16 today, so even though it didn't seem plausible, I removed the ND filter, re-ran the
calibration, and all worked great! Since a lot of us have the ND filters, I thought I might post this in case anyone else was facing the same
problem and hopefully that will work for them too. Happy flying!

Yes, this is a known issue with the Freewell filters. I generally only do a gimbal calibration after a firmware update or if there is a gimbal issue in flight. After doing all of the calibrations and when I need to, I install one of the filters and simply do a normal power-up sequence and do not have any issues. I have only found it to be a problem when I attempt to do a forced gimbal calibration with one of the filters on. When the Drone starts up, it goes through a self-check process, which includes a gimbal check and afterward displays a ready to fly notification. After that you should be good to go. If you get a gimbal error, simply restart. If the error persists, then do a manual calibration. I would only attempt to perform calibrations if you are having gimbal issues in the FPV feed. Hope this helps.

Yes, this is a known issue with the Freewell filters. I generally only do a gimbal calibration after a firmware update or if there is a gimbal issue in flight. After doing all of the calibrations and when I need to, I install one of the filters and simply do a normal power-up sequence and do not have any issues. I have only found it to be a problem when I attempt to do a forced gimbal calibration with one of the filters on. When the Drone starts up, it goes through a self-check process, which includes a gimbal check and afterward displays a ready to fly notification. After that you should be good to go. If you get a gimbal error, simply restart. If the error persists, then do a manual calibration. I would only attempt to perform calibrations if you are having gimbal issues in the FPV feed. Hope this helps.
Thanks Mitchell! I also updated today to the most recent firmware on the EVO II Pro, Controller, and Autel App and I had the app constantly disconnecting from the controller. I finally had to shut it down and restart the app in flight which cured the issues. I know all the manufacturers have issues both hardware and firmware - Example... picked up my new DJI FPV set up from Best Buy this morning, got home and the battery was D.O.A. It came with no partial charge at all which is unusual, but then it wouldn't show the charging lights or otherwise take a charge at all with the charging unit. I have the fly-more kit coming with 2 more batteries until I can RMA this dead battery, but at $153 a pop a bit disappointing!

• Sad
Reactions: MNT DRONE SOLUTIONS
Hi Guys! This may have been discussed before, but I was wondering if others had the same situation pop up when doing a
Gimbal Calibration w/ the Freewell ND filter attached. I can't for the life of me understand why having the filter on would
affect the calibration, but I received the "calibration failed" message the 1st nine attempts I made. The only thing I did
differently was install the Freewell NDPL16 today, so even though it didn't seem plausible, I removed the ND filter, re-ran the
calibration, and all worked great! Since a lot of us have the ND filters, I thought I might post this in case anyone else was facing the same
problem and hopefully that will work for them too. Happy flying!

Congratulations, you have encountered number 1 on my list of reasons for why I have never and will never use ND filters on a drone camera. I know everyone will make their own decisions on using / not using ND filters but I think you will find my previous post helpful:

Why I NEVER use ND Filters With Drone Cameras

Last edited:
Thanks Mitchell! I also updated today to the most recent firmware on the EVO II Pro, Controller, and Autel App and I had the app constantly disconnecting from the controller. I finally had to shut it down and restart the app in flight which cured the issues. I know all the manufacturers have issues both hardware and firmware - Example... picked up my new DJI FPV set up from Best Buy this morning, got home and the battery was D.O.A. It came with no partial charge at all which is unusual, but then it wouldn't show the charging lights or otherwise take a charge at all with the charging unit. I have the fly-more kit coming with 2 more batteries until I can RMA this dead battery, but at $153 a pop a bit disappointing!
Where are you finding batteries for $153?

I was gonna ask the same question on the batteries. Lol. In any case best to you you enjoying your new bird.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58