Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo getting warranty repairs

RobyRoad

Reaction score
Purchased my Evo over the summer. Despite the software updates, I was still getting the gimbal roll issue occasionally, and it eventually got worse until a few weeks ago, and you couldn't rotate the drone at all or the gimbal would roll out of level.

Then it also developed an issue on programmed missions where the heading of the drone was maybe 30 degrees to the left even though it was flying the correct path. Or put another way, it was like the drone flew straight but the camera was pointed to the left.

Anyway, reached out to Autel, sent it in, and they said it's getting a new main board under warranty. I'm just wondering, anyone else have these issues?

I had the same issue, but after a repair. Go read this:

I just received my UPS Tracking number. They took care of me by shipping a refurbished Evo under warranty.

I had the same issue, but after a repair. Go read this:

I just received my UPS Tracking number. They took care of me by shipping a refurbished Evo under warranty.

Glad to see they took care of you. I'm hopeful mine comes back fixed.

I don't have any gimbal wobble though. What I get is that I can calibrate the gimbal before takeoff, but then the level still ends up a little off. If I then rotate the drone left or right, the tilt gets worse the farther I turn. If I level it while in air, and then rotate, it does the same. The strange thing is that If I rotate back to the heading I was in when I adjusted it, it almost levels it itself back out (but not quite). So if it's pointed North when I set in, the further I rotate from North, the further off it is. If I turn back to North, it almost levels off. If I start moving forward while it's way out of level (pointed East as example), it slowly starts to level a little bit, maybe halfway back to level. Really weird behavior.

The heading issue is that if I set a flight path as an example that goes due North, the drone follows the path as drawn, but with the drone pointed slightly Northwest. Here's an example of that:

In the video, the drone is flying directing over the line between the trees and field, but the drone is pointed a little to the left. Also, at the beginning of the video, you can see the horizon is not level and begins to level a little bit as it moves forward. So the video kind of shows both problems.

In the app when I flew it, on the map, there is the triangle shaped symbol represented the drone, and it clearly shows the drone rotated slightly to the left, so it's like the software and drone realizes that it's pointed off skew.

So we'll see if it's fixed. I read your link. I have not upgraded to the new installed app on the play store, would you recommend doing that or keeping the old version for now?

Last edited:
Unfortunately I can't answer that since I never got to fly after upgrading to the new app and firmware.
Sounds like you may get yours before I get mine back. Please let me know what you think once you fly it.

Sounds like you may get yours before I get mine back. Please let me know what you think once you fly it.
I just received my refurbished Evo today. Too windy to fly but will test flight tomorrow. Everything looks good. No scratches. Charging controller right now. It's taking forever. Still at 86% and started at 20%. It's been close to 5 hours. The fan hasn't kicked in at all. The last controller was turning on and off fans constantly every 10-15 seconds. I'm in no rush but am getting concerned. I'm debating removing it from the charger then trying again after 10 minutes. I know there is a firmware update so I may try updating before continuing to charge controller again.

UPDATE: I checked charger and now it's at 84% so discharging? I unplugged it for about 10 min and plugged it back it. It jumped from 84 to 86 percent within 2 minutes. Now it seems stuck at 86 percent again. Arg!!

UPDATE: As I'm typing the last update, I hear 2 beeps from the controller. I press the power button and now it says 100%. So from 86% to 100% within 2 minutes. Has anyone experienced this before?

Last edited:
I just received my refurbished Evo today. Too windy to fly but will test flight tomorrow. Everything looks good. No scratches. Charging controller right now. It's taking forever. Still at 86% and started at 20%. It's been close to 5 hours. The fan hasn't kicked in at all. The last controller was turning on and off fans constantly every 10-15 seconds. I'm in no rush but am getting concerned. I'm debating removing it from the charger then trying again after 10 minutes. I know there is a firmware update so I may try updating before continuing to charge controller again.

UPDATE: I checked charger and now it's at 84% so discharging? I unplugged it for about 10 min and plugged it back it. It jumped from 84 to 86 percent within 2 minutes. Now it seems stuck at 86 percent again. Arg!!

UPDATE: As I'm typing the last update, I hear 2 beeps from the controller. I press the power button and now it says 100%. So from 86% to 100% within 2 minutes. Has anyone experienced this before?
I have not. I have had similar things happen with phones though.

My Evo is supposedly arriving on Friday. Excited to see if it's fixed!

So this is kind of strange, but I got an email saying it was shipping and a UPS tracking number, which said Friday for arrival. Then the next day, I got an email with a FedEx tracking number that says it's scheduled for Monday. Weird eh? Would they be shipping it in two packages?

So this is kind of strange, but I got an email saying it was shipping and a UPS tracking number, which said Friday for arrival. Then the next day, I got an email with a FedEx tracking number that says it's scheduled for Monday. Weird eh? Would they be shipping it in two packages?
They use different shipping companies. Perhaps they sent you the wrong tracking and corrected themselves. Mine arrived via USPS.

They use different shipping companies. Perhaps they sent you the wrong tracking and corrected themselves. Mine arrived via USPS.
My evo has been back for repairs twice. First time was via Fedx, second time was UPS. Both times was prepaid by Autel.

It must be said that in its corner, the trees grow extremely fast, barely time to take off ............moqueur dji.gif

So my Evo arrived today. The heading issue on waypoint flights seems fixed, I flew a test mission with several turns and directions and it seemed fine. The gimbal roll issue is fixed, if and only if I calibrate each time before takeoff, which I can live with if that's the way it is. Is that the way it is for everyone?
However, the smaller micro USB port on the controller is now dead. It won't charge through it, it won't connect to the phone through it. This port was fine when I sent it in. For my test flights, I used a full size USB to usb-c cable, and the full size USB port worked fine. I haven't tried charging it through that yet. I emailed Autel so we'll see what they say.

Is it ok to charge it through the big USB port?

Just got a new RMA to send it back again. I'm not really thrilled with the amount of time it is spending getting bounced around in a FedEx box, nor with it being out of commission so long.

• Sad
Reactions: butch

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials