Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo for Commercial Use

Halligan

Reaction score
Hi All,

So I am a new member here looking for some sage advice from more experienced pilots. I am currently working on my Part 107 and am looking for a drone to start off small as a weekend warrior, doing real estate shoots. I've watched videos, read reviews looked at camera comparisons, etc. and all it did was make me more confused as to what drone to purchase. I am very interested in the Evo, but I have concerns with the lack of the 1" sensor, and the 12mp stills. I also am very hesitant to by a DJI with all of their quirks, CS issues, Geofencing issues, etc. I feel all the DJI fanboys intentionally lambaste all the other manufacturers and it really makes a rookie like me have a very difficult time wading through what is fact and what is opinion.

The price is very attractive, especially since the Evo rugged bundle is cheaper than a base M2P. I really appreciate that Autel is a US company as well, backed with what I gather is a fantastic CS experience.

My questions to you are;

1. Do any of you use the Evo commercially and if so, in what capacity?
  2. Should I worry about the camera and it's validity with no 1" CMOS?
  3. Will a customer have an issue with only being able to produce 12mp stills?
  4. What alternatives would you suggest? (I have also looked at the Typhoon H+/H520 DJI's offerings so hit me)

I am hungry to learn, and want to get off to a well prepared start.

Thank you in advance, I look forward to hearing your opinions!

On image size, 12mp equates to 4000x3000 pixels which translates to greater than A4 size (8.5 x 11in) when printed at highest quality/300dpi resolution.

Your client would be happy with the EVO's image quality and happy with the size unless he needs to print larger than the size of a magazine page at maximum resolution. If he needed to print across a glossy tabloid spread (17in x 11in), he would need a 20mp file.

However, your framing of the shot may not satisfy him in which case he might need to crop it. If so, the larger image size you can supply, the more scope he has got.

It's also possible that you could effectively double the image size by stitching two still images together, panorama-style.

Hi All,

So I am a new member here looking for some sage advice from more experienced pilots. I am currently working on my Part 107 and am looking for a drone to start off small as a weekend warrior, doing real estate shoots. I've watched videos, read reviews looked at camera comparisons, etc. and all it did was make me more confused as to what drone to purchase. I am very interested in the Evo, but I have concerns with the lack of the 1" sensor, and the 12mp stills. I also am very hesitant to by a DJI with all of their quirks, CS issues, Geofencing issues, etc. I feel all the DJI fanboys intentionally lambaste all the other manufacturers and it really makes a rookie like me have a very difficult time wading through what is fact and what is opinion.

The price is very attractive, especially since the Evo rugged bundle is cheaper than a base M2P. I really appreciate that Autel is a US company as well, backed with what I gather is a fantastic CS experience.

My questions to you are;

4. What alternatives would you suggest? (I have also looked at the Typhoon H+/H520 DJI's offerings so hit me)

In all honestly it depends on what you are looking for and what you wish to do. The standard for commercial flying is DJI. Understandably, since they own 76% of the market. That doesn't mean that other drones aren't up to the task. For real estate, you will appreciate the bigger FOV of the Evo for that scenic photo you will be taking to help your client sell that property. You will also appreciate the lightness and how easy it is to just open the legs and send it flying, vs having to install props, wait for it to warm up, etc etc.

1) I do surveys for insurance claims and construction. I usually use a DJI Phantom, but from time to time I use the Autel Evo. It does the job great.

2) Although the sensor isn't 1", the photos and videos come out amazing. Way better than the MP and M2Z. Don't take my word for it, do the research. The M2P is better, but not $500 better in my opinion.

3. So far none of my customers have complained from my photographs. I usually don't tell them where they come from, I just send them the best photos taken.

4. When I was blocked by a Geofencing the first time, is when I started doing research for a secondary drone. I did look into the Typhoon H+. Although a great drone, the size and price was too much for me. I wanted something as portable or more portable than the Phantom. I wasn't sold by the quality of the photos and videos from the Typhoon, for it being a 1" sensor. In my opinion, the Phantom is a better drone, for less money.

I have included 2 photos taken of the same building. Although the aren't of the same exact angle, they are around the same distance. You be the judge if the camera from the Evo is that inferior to the Phantom.
DJI Phantom 4 Pro v2.0 @ 4:56PM Rainy Day (All Auto)
Autel Evo @ 3:26PM on a Sunny Day (All Auto)

Reactions: HiloHawaiian
Which image is from which? I guess that's a good indicator if I have to ask!

Other than Real Estate, which I'm only doing because my wife and her family are realtors, I want to be able to do inspections. Again though, this is my entry into the world of commercial drone use so I'm looking to A. Not break the bank in case I fall on my face and B. Find a drone that can do a few similar tasks until I can get a true inspection drone and a true camera rig. Am I asking to much for a single platform?

Other than Real Estate, which I'm only doing because my wife and her family are realtors, I want to be able to do inspections. Again though, this is my entry into the world of commercial drone use so I'm looking to A. Not break the bank in case I fall on my face and B. Find a drone that can do a few similar tasks until I can get a true inspection drone and a true camera rig. Am I asking to much for a single platform?
The top photo is from the DJI Phantom 1" sensor. The bottom one is from the Evo. Other than doing mapping surveys, I have yet to find anything the Evo can't do, vs the Phantom.

Edit: The reason I can't do mapping surveys with the Evo, is because the Evo gives altitude as 0, therefore I am unable to achieve a 3D rendering and I cannot calculate correctly.

The top photo is from the DJI Phantom 1" sensor. The bottom one is from the Evo. Other than doing mapping surveys, I have yet to find anything the Evo can't do, vs the Phantom.

Edit: The reason I can't do mapping surveys with the Evo, is because the Evo gives altitude as 0, therefore I am unable to achieve a 3D rendering and I cannot calculate correctly.
View attachment 3638

Is this a firmware issue that can be resolved in the future?

What type of inspections are you interested in doing? I for one do damage inspections and the Evo works great for that. Specially when I need to zoom in into something. I do all my inspections manually. I like having complete control of the drone, since I tried doing it once with an autopilot app and my drone crashed into a forest, never to be seen again.

At this point, I would do whatever a client asked within the limitations of the bird. I used to do solar work, so that would be an easy fit in, but I believe a lot of Solar clients want thermal data as well, correct?

At this point, I would do whatever a client asked within the limitations of the bird. I used to do solar work, so that would be an easy fit in, but I believe a lot of Solar clients want thermal data as well, correct?
I don't have a FLIR yet. I am hoping to get one for my Phantom. The purpose of those photos weren't the solar panels, but rather the roofing. I just chose that specific photo, because they were easily used for reference and elevation.

I don't have a FLIR yet. I am hoping to get one for my Phantom. The purpose of those photos weren't the solar panels, but rather the roofing. I just chose that specific photo, because they were easily used for reference and elevation.

Got ya. I'm very much leaning towards the Evo. I contemplated a P4P but the expense difference when factoring in extra batteries, etc. just doesn't seem to be very economical for what I gather is little improvement from one UA to the other. I know DJI is ruling the world, but I hate their business model and quite frankly want support from a company that is focused on the consumer and not the bottom line. With all the Yuneec issues as of late and the unreliable nature of the H+ ATM (i.e.fly aways, **** batteries and **** CS), I already ruled them out.

Got ya. I'm very much leaning towards the Evo. I contemplated a P4P but the expense difference when factoring in extra batteries, etc. just doesn't seem to be very economical for what I gather is little improvement from one UA to the other. I know DJI is ruling the world, but I hate their business model and quite frankly want support from a company that is focused on the consumer and not the bottom line. With all the Yuneec issues as of late and the unreliable nature of the H+ ATM (i.e.fly aways, ** batteries and ** CS), I already ruled them out.
You must also consider the rumor that is going around that the Phantom series has been discontinued in favor of the more portable Mavic 2 Pro. That is why my P2P v2.0 is going for 35% more than it did when I bought it.

Do you know of anyone else here using an Evo for commercial use?

And thank you for helping so much! It's extremely intimidating thinking you are going to buy something that isn't going to perform to either my or the clients needs. I don't want to fail from jump because I didn't purchase the "right" drone

Do you know of anyone else here using an Evo for commercial use?

And thank you for helping so much! It's extremely intimidating thinking you are going to buy something that isn't going to perform to either my or the clients needs. I don't want to fail from jump because I didn't purchase the "right" drone
I do not know if any of our Autel peers do it commercially. I'm sure they will pop up in here as they come online. It feels intimidating, but once you start, you will see there is nothing to it. Start small and if business picks up, expand. Don't buy anything until you need it. If you get a customer that asks for a FLIR flight, then consider getting a FLIR enabled drone, etc. My goal is to buy a Matrice 600 and get that really awesome LIDAR camera, but for now, it's nothing more than a wet dream, because I don't have the need for one.

Having way to many UAVs, I would say it all depends. Since I bought the Evo it is my go to flyer. I find that it is comparable to my P4P in good light. In lower light, most of the year in Oregon, the P4P is way better. If I know I need to get my video/photo on the first flight, I go P4P. If I am just documenting my travels (most cases) the Evo or Air.

As for the price difference, keep in mind the P4P batteries are effectively two Evo batteries when you factor in the takeoff, landing, and repositioning needed on a 20 minute range battery.

My suggestion is buy them all!!!

Reactions: Madhungarian

Hi All,

My questions to you are;

I chose an Evo for similar projects, despite using a Phantom 4 Pro+ to get my licence. My main reasons for choosing the Evo over the Phantom 4 were: 1. Size and ease of setting up in a hurry; 2. The fact there are no NFZs; and 3. You are not forced to update firmware before taking off. The Mavic 2 Pro might take better stills because of its one inch sensor, but it still suffers from items 2 and 3. And if you want to shoot video, the Evo’s 4k@60fps is a bonus. Cost is another factor. An Evo with a couple of batteries cost less than $1200. Check the price of batteries for either Phantom or Mavic 2–the price differential widens. As for customers being happy with 12mp stills, I have a friend in real estate who uses a Mavic Air.

I chose an Evo for similar projects, despite using a Phantom 4 Pro+ to get my licence. My main reasons for choosing the Evo over the Phantom 4 were: 1. Size and ease of setting up in a hurry; 2. The fact there are no NFZs; and 3. You are not forced to update firmware before taking off. The Mavic 2 Pro might take better stills because of its one inch sensor, but it still suffers from items 2 and 3. And if you want to shoot video, the Evo’s 4k@60fps is a bonus. Cost is another factor. An Evo with a couple of batteries cost less than $1200. Check the price of batteries for either Phantom or Mavic 2–the price differential widens. As for customers being happy with 12mp stills, I have a friend in real estate who uses a Mavic Air.
You can buy the Evo for 1k with a bag and 2 extra batteries.

Reactions: Nightbat2
You can buy the Evo for 1k with a bag and 2 extra batteries.
...and a $100 Best Buy gift card! P4P rules, but EVO within 1 mile is a stellar competitor, in case the P4P locks you out! Best to have the EVO as a backup bird for 4K 60fps at 100mbs! Even the M2P can't do that. You have to dumb down the M2P to 2.7K to get 60fps.

Reactions: Nightbat2

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barry.bain