Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO Flew away right after takeoff. Right after new update. Crashed.

i wonder if the pause button would have stopped the flyaway??

I have flown off the roof of my truck and it has "almost" caused flyaway, but manual flight was erradict behavior.strange movements. are you near a millitary site or high rf areas?

i've been jammed by millitary contractors tech before , luckily the gps saved my butt

so its July 4th, plenty of fireworks going off around. wanted to film from my backyard. have flown my drone in my backyard countless times. never a problem with the signal or GPS. i get it about 35 feet in the air and before i even tried to turn it around to face in the direction of the fireworks all i hear is it speeding up and flying away into the darkness. interestingly, dirctly to the North. i had video recording enabled, so it recorded a whole 6 seconds before hitting the huge tree in my neighbor's front yard and crashing. it was flying backwards too. another interesting thing was that the flight log doesn't show the flight path either, nor the location. only shows that it was in flight for 11 seconds. absolutely ridiculous.

now, i have a cracked battery and my gimball is not functioning properly (keeps doing the startup routine over and over again). otherwise all the lights and everything are fine. has scratches and stuff on it now and some of the propellers are messed up but i have replacement ones. the drone is still under warranty and this is absurd. this has never happened to me. i updated to the new firmware maybe 2 weeks ago and have taken it out once after the update and it was fine. but tonight it went berserk. calling Autel on Monday. unacceptable.
Very interesting and scary to boot! I have 1.5.8. I believe on the app. Mine also did a random fly a way at a soccer field I frequently fly and practice at. My EVO 1 is very jealous and gets emotional and has often attempted to fly away. This seems to only occur when I place my Phantom 4 and 3 on landing pads near my EVO and he sees them with his sensors. I have tried to console him and tell him that he is more loved than my DJI Phantoms. Fly a ways are scary and I don't like them at all. I do a compass calibration almost every time now, even in my backyard or other frequently flown areas. Good luck with your issue as you may own a very sensitive EVO as I do.

Very interesting and scary to boot! I have 1.5.8. I believe on the app. Mine also did a random fly a way at a soccer field I frequently fly and practice at. My EVO 1 is very jealous and gets emotional and has often attempted to fly away. This seems to only occur when I place my Phantom 4 and 3 on landing pads near my EVO and he sees them with his sensors. I have tried to console him and tell him that he is more loved than my DJI Phantoms. Fly a ways are scary and I don't like them at all. I do a compass calibration almost every time now, even in my backyard or other frequently flown areas. Good luck with your issue as you may own a very sensitive EVO as I do.
In my case, my old P4P is the one that gets jealous and tries to fly away. My Evo is indifferent and behaves.

Reactions: Winslow
I am still using version 1.3.17 Looks like too many issues still happening with 1.5.8
Well after my fly away, drone was not retrievable, they asked for flight logs. No logs, no service basically. Offered me a 699 dollar referb. and I send them my controller and charger. This was right after the 1.5.8 update by the way. If they don't offer something better than that I'm done with Autel. With DJI being sued and lack of customer service, I may sit out for awhile and fly my cheaper drones that actually work. Plus if one flys away, oh well.

I suspect ATTI mode is when you fly without GPS.. What does it exactly mean and how you put a drone in ATTI mode?

Could it be that your tablet was accidentally pushing down on controls.? Maybe that's why it flew backwards

Well after my fly away, drone was not retrievable, they asked for flight logs. No logs, no service basically. Offered me a 699 dollar referb. and I send them my controller and charger. This was right after the 1.5.8 update by the way. If they don't offer something better than that I'm done with Autel. With DJI being sued and lack of customer service, I may sit out for awhile and fly my cheaper drones that actually work. Plus if one flys away, oh well.

did they resolve your issue at all?

i sent in my drone and they say the flight logs show joystick motions in the direction of the drone flyaway.. i said i couldn't even control the damn thing, so it wasn't me, perhaps their software just immitates the joystick presses towards the direction of the drone in the logs. i don't know. but they're trying to charge me 175 for repairs, even though its still under warranty. not to mention, their customer service experience so far has been terrible. 2 weeks dealing with back and forth phone tagging because the guy i'm dealing with can't remember to give me a call back and update me on things he said he would update me on.

i might just bite the bullet and pay out of pocket and then sell the damn thing. i'm scared to fly it again even after they fix it. if it flies away for good this time i'm screwed. don't want to risk it. definitely won't be buying anything from Autel again that's for sure. mickey mouse operation.

what's going on with DJI and the lawsuit?

from my personal experience flying model rc craft, it's usually pilot induced error that causes accidents, or fly away's. none of us like to take responsability for our srcew ups.
doesnt mean they havent got a bug issue..

Well, after back and forth phone calls, they offered me a refurbished drone for 699.00 and I have to send them my controller and charger. So, with that being said, I have a controller, two batteries, a charger, a 4 way charging tower for sale. All equipment is in excellent condition. My new DJI Mavic air 2 has already shipped.

Reactions: konoplya
from my personal experience flying model rc craft, it's usually pilot induced error that causes accidents, or fly away's. none of us like to take responsability for our srcew ups.
doesnt mean they havent got a bug issue..

I agree in most cases, however, in this instance the drone flew away. It could have had a frequently jam, which I suspect might have happened or a software issue. The only thing I don't like is these drones are not dual frequency. In addition, the company advertises the fact that the controller can be used without a phone. Yes, this is true, but basically if you cannot retrieve your drone this voids the warranty. This should be stated and is not. Always, always fly with phone connected, otherwise you will not have logs in the event of a fly away. This is where I think a dual frequency drone offers an extra layer of insurance.

is it possible to accidently get the evo to fall out of the air, if i was to perform the "stick startup mode" while in flight?

• Wow
Reactions: butch
Well, after back and forth phone calls, they offered me a refurbished drone for 699.00 and I have to send them my controller and charger. So, with that being said, I have a controller, two batteries, a charger, a 4 way charging tower for sale. All equipment is in excellent condition. My new DJI Mavic air 2 has already shipped.

do you know if its possible to jailbreak mavic 2 to get rid of the flying restrictions like the evo?

I agree in most cases, however, in this instance the drone flew away. It could have had a frequently jam, which I suspect might have happened or a software issue. The only thing I don't like is these drones are not dual frequency. In addition, the company advertises the fact that the controller can be used without a phone. Yes, this is true, but basically if you cannot retrieve your drone this voids the warranty. This should be stated and is not. Always, always fly with phone connected, otherwise you will not have logs in the event of a fly away. This is where I think a dual frequency drone offers an extra layer of insurance.

you know what i just thought of, thinking back on my incident.. my neighbor across the street was flying his drone as well and my drone flew away exactly into the direction where his drone was. i wonder if somehow my drone got on the frequency of his remote control and followed his joystick movements.. i know its probably farfetched but just a thought.

• Wow
Reactions: PingSpike
you know what i just thought of, thinking back on my incident.. my neighbor across the street was flying his drone as well and my drone flew away exactly into the direction where his drone was. i wonder if somehow my drone got on the frequency of his remote control and followed his joystick movements.. i know its probably farfetched but just a thought.
It could never happen. Each drone has a unique ID that will only respond to a specific controller.

Same thing happened to me, always verify that the compass is ok by allowing the drone to hover for a few seconds a few feet off the ground, if it starts to oscillate land and recalibrate the compass, trust me i know it hurts, just lost my second one

Reactions: konoplya
Same thing happened to me, always verify that the compass is ok by allowing the drone to hover for a few seconds a few feet off the ground, if it starts to oscillate land and recalibrate the compass, trust me i know it hurts, just lost my second one
Because the oscillation is exacerbated and not recoverable with more altitude, again, experience talking

i've been reading some mavic forums and people keep talking about flying in ATTI mode because in this mode you can actually take over the controls of the drone if it does fly away. is this also true to Evo?

No because the Evos do not have the switch on the radio to switch from GPS mode to manual ATTI mode.
This is done on the Evo radio automatically if you lose GPS, but you cannot do it manually.

No because the Evos do not have the switch on the radio to switch from GPS mode to manual ATTI mode.
This is done on the Evo radio automatically if you lose GPS, but you cannot do it manually.

i see. i thought there was a way to switch on ATTI mode from the beginning of flight, but i guess now that i'm looking i'm not finding that option.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo