Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo Charging Issues

LA.Lawyer

Reaction score
I've been having difficulties charging my new Evo RC controller. I plugged the controller in for 8 hours and it only got to 85% charge. Plus, the charger makes a humming sound.

Does anyone else's charger make noise when charging?

Thanks,
Scott

When I first plugged in my charger, the controller power switch glowed red and indicated 65%. After an hour, it showed 60%. Then the red light went dark and there was no charge level display when tapping the power.

Working with Autel support, I determined that the USB charge cord was fine but the RC side of the charger was dead. Per Autel, you can charge the controller with a USB phone charger. They replaced my charger.

Btw, my charger does make a 60hz hum when plugged in, at least when connected to a flight battery.

Good, fast support!

Karl

Reactions: LA.Lawyer
Its the fan in the controller. It beeps when charging is complete and the button turns green. I would imagine that's normal since it happens when I charge mine.

Its the fan in the controller. It beeps when charging is complete and the button turns green. I would imagine that's normal since it happens when I charge mine.

The noise is coming not from the controller, but from the charging block.

Thanks. Then the only concern I have is the strangely long time that it takes to charge up the controller. I understand its supposed to take about 3 hours to fully charge. That has not been my experience at all. Charged 7 hours when first received and only went to 85%. Unplugged for the night and next day it did finish off. Then tried to top off from 85% and after several hours only went up a few % points.

The controller fans goes on while charging, my charging block does not make any noise. Send it in, they should cover it under warranty if something is defective. If you send in your controller have them fix your antennas as well.

The noise (hume) is normal. Almost all of do that. As long as the block is not getting so hot you cannot touch it it is fine.

Could be one of two things. Either the charger is acting up and if so like suggested it needs replacing or the battery inside the RC is toast and that needs replacing. There are lots of post on the forum about a noisy charging block and Autel has responded many times to members email that it is normal so that part I would not worry about but the two I mentioned I would send both in to get looked at and what ever else is broken. Might as well get it all straightened out before summer comes along when you might be using it more often.

Thanks. Then the only concern I have is the strangely long time that it takes to charge up the controller. I understand its supposed to take about 3 hours to fully charge. That has not been my experience at all. Charged 7 hours when first received and only went to 85%. Unplugged for the night and next day it did finish off. Then tried to top off from 85% and after several hours only went up a few % points.
My second controller did the same thing new out of the box (first one charged perfectly straight to 100% as expected, but the left handle broke into two pieces, when I opened it up. Stripped screw holes!). Took over 24 hours and multiple plugging and unplugging to charge above 95%. Eventually, it finally topped off, and has been fine since, topping off normally to 100% over multiple charges. Hope it was just an initial charging issue and not some intermittent issue that will come up again. Fortunately, the RC only charging to 95% would not be as big a problem as a flight battery not topping off! Still good for lots of flights back to back.

The power button on my controller has NEVER turned green upon full charge.

The power button on my controller has NEVER turned green upon full charge.
Sounds like time to call Autel for a replacement, if you are already outside of your return window with the seller. I was still within mine, on the broken left handle on my first RC.

Are you sure about that? I had my charger and controller close when I get the hummm but I don't think they'd put any fans into a charging block. I'm almost certain it's the controller making the noise.

There is a fan inside the controller that goes on when it overheats during charging.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ben648691