Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

EVO 2 Smart Controller V1 replace internal battery?

JSTorsrud

Reaction score
Has anyone changed or know how to change the Internal Battery in the EVO 2 V1 Controller?

Appreciate the feedback.

Has anyone changed or know how to change the Internal Battery in the EVO 2 V1 Controller?

Appreciate the feedback.
There has been several articles about the V1 Smart Controller and charging issues.

In my case, my V1 controller will only charge to 11 percent! And I received a message (SURPRISE), stating that they have discontinued this controller and NO LONGER SUPPORT IT! So, I pretty much wasted $1200 on this and there is NO external Battery Door to replace the internal battery!

So, I will try to disassemble the controller and get inside and see if the Battery can be replaced. The Controller is basically no good for flying without a good battery, so I will press on.

This is just another reason to NOT PURCHASE AN AUTEL PRODUCT AGAIN!

Reactions: ADOC
It didn't seem like an impossible task. It's been a couple of years since I had the controller opened and it simply looked like dual 18650 cells hard wired to the board and somewhat easy for DIYers with intermediate skills, i.e. comfortable around PCBs. here is a screenshot I have in my notes. I was focused on modding the antenna and don't think I checked to see if the cells were parallel or series wired.

01.JPG

Reactions: ADOC and romi
It didn't seem like an impossible task. It's been a couple of years since I had the controller opened and it simply looked like dual 18650 cells hard wired to the board and somewhat easy for DIYers with intermediate skills, i.e. comfortable around PCBs. here is a screenshot I have in my notes. I was focused on modding the antenna and don't think I checked to see if the cells were parallel or series wired.

View attachment 17052
Unfortunately, that is not the Smart Controller I'm talking about. It is for the Large Screen Smart Controller and I have spoken to Autel and there is NO Repair available for the LARGE V1, V2 or V3. It is a situation where once the battery is Dead or No longer charges, it becomes useless!

So, unless someone knows how to open the Case, my V1 is done! A total waste of $1200!

• Wow
duh...my bad. it says so right on the title thread, too ! let me dig more to see if I've done anything with the Smart Controller.

p.s. not wishing to overlook the obvious but have you checked to see that you are using a certified charging cable and not just a data cable? I've made the error using the latter before with very poor charging results. Once I located a charging cable all has been well.

To make up for my failed reading comprehension above I sought to probe a little bit more. Photos are from my Evo 2, V1 (large screen) Smart Controller. It's still a daunting task but more from an availability perspective, not mechanical. Happy hunting locating a DT3S1P battery. I may need to go back in and lift the cushion tape to look for more identifying data as DT3S1P pretty much (only) identifies it as 3-series, 1 parallel configuration

Attachments

• Autel Smart Controller battery.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
To make up for my failed reading comprehension above I sought to probe a little bit more. Photos are from my Evo 2, V1 (large screen) Smart Controller. It's still a daunting task but more from an availability perspective, not mechanical. Happy hunting locating a DT3S1P battery. I may need to go back in and lift the cushion tape to look for more identifying data as DT3S1P pretty much (only) identifies it as 3-series, 1 parallel configuration
Thanks, I'll look at it again and see if I can pry it open.

Thanks, I'll look at it again and see if I can pry it open.
After looking at the pictures, got my pry tools out and got the BEAST open. Pain in the BUTT!

Now, to see if I can get that battery cheaper someplace else.

I actually appreciated the challenge in opening but think about it like this: the tight rubber fitment is great in providing moisture resistance.

Since I used the nice, nylon pry tool, it was a very simple fingernail pressure... and then slipping in the nylon pry tool. From that point on, it was a simple and methodical wiggling of the pry tool all the way around.

First time is usually a pain but subsequent attempts should be much less stressful.

I hope you are able to find a less expensive replacement. Given its scarcity and lack of competitive sources I just paid for the damn thing and it's on a slow boat then via LAX DHL (3 weeks ETA).

WELL!!!!!!!!
I was able to get the Case Open on the controller. Got the battery out.

Ordered a new BATTERY listed above, and waited for the SLOW BOAT FROM CHINA to get here!

Got the battery yesterday, and installed it in the controller.

Plugged in the charger and the charging lights indicate it is getting a Charge.

However, when I fire up the controller and check the battery, it shows the percentage of charge and status. In this case it displays NOT CHARGING!

Could this be a FIRMWARE Problem or something else that has gone WACKO in the controller?

Any replies are appreciated.

Thanks,

the caveat which pops up in my head is to be certain that you are using a bona fide USB-C CHARGING cable vs a generic USB-C data cable

the caveat which pops up in my head is to be certain that you are using a bona fide USB-C CHARGING cable vs a generic USB-C data cable
I've been using the Charging cable that came with the Drone and Controller. Let me do some more research and maybe I can get one from WALMART!

I've not tried this but merely scratching my brain: is there a factory reset button on the controller and if so, it may be the whack on the head the controller needs. I don't know how complex the controller-to-battery is designed and nowadays, it's not unheard of that battery use/monitoring and interrogating is performed....such as that which the drone/app does with the drone battery ?

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marwan