Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo 2 pro lost in a field

leete

Reaction score
Website
www.mattleete.com
Hi. I googled this but couldn`t find an answer.
I bought an Evo2 Pro bundle on Monday. I took the drone out yesterday for a first spin. Initially very impressed with the build quality. My first location was fully recorded and has flight data. My second location only recorded 57 seconds of a roughly 20 minute flight. The drone unfortunately had to make a landing in a cornfield about 30m from me. I am unable to find the drone after extensively looking for 8 hours.
I have contacted Autel and advised of this. I am amazed there is no "find drone" feature for a drone that is £1500. The flight (15-20mins approx) has not provided a final spot where it went down. It dropped from 4 ft into corn so I would hope not too much damage, but there has been alot of rain since.
The Autel customer services in EU said they could do nothing apart form locking it. Really!?

I`m at a loss to know what to do other than having 1 more hour search tomorrow and have advised Autel as I think it is an issue there wasn`t a flight log so possible faulty drone(?)

Any thoughts ?

Thanks
Matt

Here are the flight logs from yesterday. The flight at 1716 ( top one) was actually a 15-20 minute flight I think...not 56 seconds. Continuous flight , around 1 km away, back to home to test the camera (selfies) and then speed off straight ahead - which is when it went down. No data to back this flight up and now it`s in a field . I didn`t change the setting or it wouldn`t even have recorded the 56 seconds I guess.
IMG_2850.PNG

Hmmm sounds like you lost telemetry in flight then. Not much you can do other then hope Autel comes through. If the farmer is a good guy spend more time in the field and hope you find it. The EVO is a very tough drone so if you did find it I'm sure there would be very little damage.

Yes that sounds right. I guess it`s my word on the flight time though, they may think it`s just a story, which it isn`t.
I`m reluctant to contact the farmer as he may get annoyed and tell me to do one. But then , it is close to harvest so maybe he could skim the top, or it may damage the combine(?)
So DVI have a find drone feature. Why doesn`t the Autel Evo 2 pro? Even a beeper or suchlike, like you`d have on a set of keys. If I was shooting professionally and it had footage which couldn't be reshot and went down how does that work?
I`m new to drones so your feedback is really helpful.
Thanks Agustine.
Matt

If you tap on the last flight record (the top one), your phone should pull up a map of the flight path. Change the map view from "normal" to "hybrid" or "gps". Can you use that to get somewhat of a "ballpark" figure of where it may be in the field?

Attachments

• IMG_09779A3CD454-1.jpeg
    IMG_09779A3CD454-1.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_BC39026219DC-1.jpeg
    IMG_BC39026219DC-1.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_E5FF244A7D50-1.jpeg
    IMG_E5FF244A7D50-1.jpeg
    401.5 KB · Views: 23
Yeah, I did that, but it`s the 56 second flight and actually it was when I took off before heading out, so doesn`t provide the full flight unfortunately. Has anybody stuck a gps finder device to the Autel incase?

I also use a Marco Polo drone tracker when I don't have cell service in remote areas, it uses a radio frequency, it has saved my bacon twice now.

Reactions: leete
Do you have any idea how long Autel Customer Service take to respond? Is their customer services fairly good?

They are usually right on top of things but lately I guess they are finding themselves short staffed as some members have been waiting for replies for a long time. Considering the Covid problem I can only think that it is very difficult to get back to everyone in a timely manner. Most people say phoning them gets the best results.

Yeah, I can understand the situation. I`m having 1 more hour looking for it tomorrow and then can`t give it anymore time. I just hope Autel come up with a solution for me! Thanks

I use a Marco Polo on all my birds, works great, even in the corn fields! cuts time from hours to mins

For the money of the Evo 2 Pro, in my mind it seems crazy you have to have an external gps finder
I use a Trakimo gps tracker too , and unless you crash in the water you will find it in minutes,

amazing precision,

works independent of the drone, worth really every penny.

Helico

Reactions: Waldo Pepper
So another 2 hours today looking for the drone and no luck,10 hours total now. I have had no response from Autel having contacted them through the app on Wednesday and then emailed yesterday. Does anybody have a contact there I could discuss this with?
Thanks
Matt

• Sad
Reactions: Jagerbomb52
So another 2 hours today looking for the drone and no luck,10 hours total now. I have had no response from Autel having contacted them through the app on Wednesday and then emailed yesterday. Does anybody have a contact there I could discuss this with?
Thanks
Matt
Don’t give up Matt,

I’ve lost several
in my career, from lack of experience probably could have found them had I new what I know today.

If possible, go to it’s last location. Then, walk directly on same path had it RTH. It’s here during disconnect, a drone will land between its last know location to the RTH location.

Plus, tall corn stocks/tall grass make it difficult to see even if drone is a few feet away. Just don’t give up, you’ll find it, but probably between it’s last known location to direction of RTH location.

Now, I use a TRACKIMO. The Guardian model, fits nicely onto all my drones. You may want to consider getting some type of tracker, it’ll pay for itself many times over. It has for me, best investment out there.

Today’s flight, mounted tracker to front arm beside body.

Please keep us posted,
Paul

E182700D-DA1F-45FA-B10E-B5A955D4E8DC.jpeg

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Thanks
Matt
(844) 692-8835

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigmaxsg