Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo 2 Pro and generating 2D Map Images

MichaeMuni

Reaction score
Hello everyone, the school I work at is going to have the current building demolished and a new school will be built in the same location.
I'm wanting to send my Evo 2 Pro 6K on a mapping mission every week to create a 2D flat orthomosaic image that I can use in a video to show the progression over time. Does anyone know of any inexpensive or open source software that can take all the imaged and put them together to make one flat large image of what was mapped? This is just something I'm doing for fun and not as a job or for profit so the programs like pix4d that charge hundreds per month are out of the question.

Check out MapsMadeEasy. Their model is 'pay per job' (you upload the images to their site), and the cost is based on 'points' which their system calculates based on the # of photos and how high your flight is, but you can get it done for free IF your mission is ~ 40 images or less (which I would think would be well within your needs). YOu will also get a DEM and a point cloud of your orthomosaic, but you don't have to download them. I've been using this with students who also can't afford to pay a subscription nor do they have access to my Pix4D....

Check out MapsMadeEasy. Their model is 'pay per job' (you upload the images to their site), and the cost is based on 'points' which their system calculates based on the # of photos and how high your flight is, but you can get it done for free IF your mission is ~ 40 images or less (which I would think would be well within your needs). YOu will also get a DEM and a point cloud of your orthomosaic, but you don't have to download them. I've been using this with students who also can't afford to pay a subscription nor do they have access to my Pix4D....
Thanks.
I looked into this one (MapsMadeEasy) last night after posting here.

My rectangle map mission gave me 475 images of the school property + about a block all the way around. MapsMadeEasy after going threw there process of selecting the files and getting ready to upload wanted about $30 to process one map image. If I was to do this every week the total would be around $1,560.

Right now Im testing a photo stitching program to see what the results of that are. My Mac has been processing the files for 4 hours now, I'll post the results once it finish's. If I can process them myself that would be great.

If its just a flat 2d map, try using Microsoft ICE (its free) as it can stich a flat map besides other panos. Another option if you are tech/sw savy is install webodm on your computer, or a server or desktop and create your maps and models (including 3d) for free.

If its just a flat 2d map, try using Microsoft ICE (its free) as it can stich a flat map besides other panos. Another option if you are tech/sw savy is install webodm on your computer, or a server or desktop and create your maps and models (including 3d) for free.
Microsoft ICE is windows only sadly.

This Mac program seems to have stitched the images to gather. Preview image looked to be flawless, now its saving the image before I can actually open the finished image. Says that it will be 550Mpx (28,058x19,603). Once its done I'll see if I can post a resized version here.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials