Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Emergency shut down in flight

So bottom line, this feature doesn’t exist on Autel drones even though it exists on all DJI drone, correct?
Does it exist on all DJI drones? I've had several and don't remember seeing it other than flipping it over and even that doesn't always work. I don't think it's something that's needed anyway. I don't want to shutdown a drone while it's in the air. I don't even want the possibility of doing it by accident. If it doesn't shut down on the ground then I guess my shoes will get busy stopping props while I pull the battery.

Yes, it exists in all DJI drones. If you are in the DJI Fly App, it's under Safety and Advance Safety Settings. The feature is called "Emergency Propeller Stop." See attached photo. If it's in the DJI Fly App, you can bet it's in the DJI Go4 App as well. What you are saying is not meaningful. Nobody WANTS to use this feature. It's there for emergency use only, to protect other people from injury. Of course, if you are a psychopath, you wouldn't want to use the emergency stop even if it is about to injure someone. I have never needed it when I fly my DJI Mavic Air 2. However, I would have used it at least three times already on my Autel Evo Lite Plus, which I have had only for a month now, because two out of three times when I install the propellers, they are not installed properly for no obvious reason. I just have to do the same thing over and over, and the propellers are finally installed correctly after one of out of three attempts. When the propellers are not properly installed, the drone goes out of control at take-off and it is quite dangerous. Fortunately, thus far, it has flipped over before it hoverd too high and then it stopped due to the crash. I don't want to be counting on this kind of luck each time and obviously have to figure out how the times that the props are installed properly are different from the times they aren't since I can't tell what I am doing differently, nor do the props look any different when installed correctly or incorrectly. And yes, I do match the props with white circles to the motors with white circles. Autel just copied how DJI has us installed props on Mavic drones, although Autel probably didn't design it as well.

Attachments

• emergency_stop.jpg
    emergency_stop.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Yes, it exists in all DJI drones. If you are in the DJI Fly App, it's under Safety and Advance Safety Settings. The feature is called "Emergency Propeller Stop." See attached photo. If it's in the DJI Fly App, you can bet it's in the DJI Go4 App as well. What you are saying is not meaningful. Nobody WANTS to use this feature. It's there for emergency use only, to protect other people from injury. Of course, if you are a psychopath, you wouldn't want to use the emergency stop even if it is about to injure someone. I have never needed it when I fly my DJI Mavic Air 2. However, I would have used it at least three times already on my Autel Evo Lite Plus, which I have had only for a month now, because two out of three times when I install the propellers, they are not installed properly for no obvious reason. I just have to do the same thing over and over, and the propellers are finally installed correctly after one of out of three attempts. When the propellers are not properly installed, the drone goes out of control at take-off and it is quite dangerous. Fortunately, thus far, it has flipped over before it hoverd too high and then it stopped due to the crash. I don't want to be counting on this kind of luck each time and obviously have to figure out how the times that the props are installed properly are different from the times they aren't since I can't tell what I am doing differently, nor do the props look any different when installed correctly or incorrectly. And yes, I do match the props with white circles to the motors with white circles. Autel just copied how DJI has us installed props on Mavic drones, although Autel probably didn't design it as well.
you're exaggerating. a drone with improperly installed props is not "dangerous." not ideal but nobody has ever been injured or killed by a drone with props installed incorrectly. if it were dangerous and a safety issue, the manufacturer would have to initiate a recall and correct the problem so nobody would get hurt. im ok with the idea of emergency stop feature but i think people use it as an excuse to fly over people.

I don't like that emergency stop feature of pushing both sticks down and out. What if someone did that not knowing it would kill the motors and make the drone fall out of the sky? What if it fell on someone's head and killed them? Prison time is what would happen.

It's one thing for a 249g drone to fall on a head but another thing entirely when an 1100g drone does it. A whole different level of kinetic energy. The kind that kills.

I don't like that emergency stop feature of pushing both sticks down and out. What if someone did that not knowing it would kill the motors and make the drone fall out of the sky? What if it fell on someone's head and killed them? Prison time is what would happen.

It's one thing for a 249g drone to fall on a head but another thing entirely when an 1100g drone does it. A whole different level of kinetic energy. The kind that kills.
the way i believe it works on the dji drone is an ON/OFF setting (defaulted to OFF) where you have to turn this feature ON in order for it to work. otherwise, the vast majority will never accidentally use emergency stop but if you turn it ON, you should be aware this can happen. as i mentioned, i believe pilots who intend to fly over people will turn this ON incorrectly thinking this will help them fly legally.

the way i believe it works on the dji drone is an ON/OFF setting (defaulted to OFF) where you have to turn this feature ON in order for it to work. otherwise, the vast majority will never accidentally use emergency stop but if you turn it ON, you should be aware this can happen. as i mentioned, i believe pilots who intend to fly over people will turn this ON incorrectly thinking this will help them fly legally.
This makes no sense. Why would having this feature make it easier to fly over people or be an excuse to fly over people? If you activate the stop when you are already flying over people, it will be too late. The drone will fall right on those people. You would activate the emergency stop if you are on a collision course with something or your drone is flying out of control for some reason and you are afraid that it can potentially injure people if you don’t stop it. Only a psychopath would incorrectly think this feature can be used as an excuse to fly over people, although I am not sure how they could get their thinking so wrong. If you are already flying over people, the last thing you want to do is activate the emergency stop unless you are ABOUT to fly INTO people near the ground or something like that.

I have noticed this discussion topic is getting more into a polarizing discussion.

some people are saying why they are afraid of an emergency stop feature and call it stupid because they fear accidental shut downs.

well think twice there are many ways to prevent an accidental shut down, for instance by a key or stick push and move combination, and thereafter a final confirmation of the next step.

All experienced pilots will be aware of the risks and know only to apply this shut down feature if a bigger risk for damage, injury or loss of control is imminent. Rare cases where killing the drone’s engines can become the best solution. Just for those situation‘s an emergency shut down should be possible.

Third of all you’re not supposed to fly your drones over people without their consent anyway. With or without an emergency shut down feature this case should be avoided. In many of those cases it is even straight forward illegal practice. But again flying over people is not the focus topic here.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rudymuller