Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Evo Max thermal when sunny

wcsodennie

Reaction score
Wondering if there is a way to shutoff or shutdown the thermal capability while flying in sunny conditions. I heard that the sun is horrible for the thermal camera. If i just dont have it on the screen does that mean it is disengaged? Thanks for any info.

I've been wondering the same... I think the issue is even if it's shut down it could still be a problem. So I just avoid pointing the cameras directly at the sun.

If you're trying to take a 'sunset video' or something like that, you may just want to tape over the thermal camera.

You should not view the sun as you pointed out.
However the vanadium oxide sensor used does have the ability to recover from minor sunburn in most thermal cameras.
With that being said, I like you, worry about damaging my investment.

For the Mavic 2 Enterprise Advanced when you view the sun inadvertently for too long, the thermal shutter burns out leaving it inoperational.
Any sunburn does eventually fade away, but without the shutter, you cannot FFC/NUC.

I use a different drone for any images where the sun will be in it, and take careful note to angle my camera down from the sun at all times for daylight operations.

Reactions: christr
I contacted Autel support and asked them about this. They told me that the thermal camera can be damaged by pointing directly into the sun. They said that the solution is to put and opaque sticker over the thermal camera.

Reactions: christr

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo