Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Drones versus rats.

Yea, they started using them in NZ too. Rat eradication works, it’s a big 1st step. Galápagos has the advantage of restricting humans on many islands. NZ is on a 30-yr mission to eradicate ALL non-native mammals (except themselves, lol), including wild cats & dogs. If they don’t do it, they’ll end-up like Hawaii where over 50% of plants and animals are non-native...and taking over. I got involved with a group of scientists trying to do this in Hawaii, but alas they’re asleep at the wheel, as usual. I hope NZ pulls it off...
New Zealand’s War on Rats Could Change the World

Yea, they started using them in NZ too. Rat eradication works, it’s a big 1st step. Galápagos has the advantage of restricting humans on many islands. NZ is on a 30-yr mission to eradicate ALL non-native mammals (except themselves, lol), including wild cats & dogs. If they don’t do it, they’ll end-up like Hawaii where over 50% of plants and animals are non-native...and taking over. I got involved with a group of scientists trying to do this in Hawaii, but alas they’re asleep at the wheel, as usual. I hope NZ pulls it off...
New Zealand’s War on Rats Could Change the World
The down side is the latteral damage..new zealand is a eco-mess with there sheep and cattle farms and there tourist resorts, and there native fauna and birds have sucombed to feral humans and there feral pets 100s of years ago..so a few toy drones dropping rat poison on a scripted news story is by no means an end to there shaky earth quake prone economic prison Island for it's inhabitants.

The down side is the latteral damage..new zealand is a eco-mess with there sheep and cattle farms and there tourist resorts, and there native fauna and birds have sucombed to feral humans and there feral pets 100s of years ago..so a few toy drones dropping rat poison on a scripted news story is by no means an end to there shaky earth quake prone economic prison Island for it's inhabitants.

Wow Witt. Tell us how you REALLY feel!

The down side is the latteral damage, New zealand is a eco-mess with there sheep and cattle farms and there tourist resorts. There native flora and fauna and birds have succombed to feral humans and there feral pets 100's of years ago, and a few toy drones dropping rat poison on a scripted t.v. ad. is not going to change the economic prison Island any time soon.

Everywhere the Brits went, they imported an animal to shoot. In NZ’s case it was possiums. They are everywhere today. NZ & Hawaii had no naitive mammals asie from humans. It’s very controversial to kill feral cats and dogs, but NZ’s doing it. Having spent so much time in Hawaii, which is virtually overrun will introduced plants and animals, I give NZ credit for admitting there’s a problem, and trying to deal with it. This is one of those issues that either to go for it all the way, or give-up. Aside from an effort to keep snakes out (to avoid another Guam tree snake disaster), Hawaii has largely given-up...

This is worth a read if you are interested in the details of the problem — it’s applicable to many places on the planet... “Conservation is all about killing things,” a volunteer coördinator said.
The Big Kill

Everywhere the Brits went, they imported an animal to shoot. In NZ’s case it was possiums. They are everywhere today. NZ & Hawaii had no naitive mammals asie from humans. It’s very controversial to kill feral cats and dogs, but NZ’s doing it. Having spent so much time in Hawaii, which is virtually overrun will introduced plants and animals, I give NZ credit for admitting there’s a problem, and trying to deal with it. This is one of those issues that either to go for it all the way, or give-up. Aside from an effort to keep snakes out (to avoid another Guam tree snake disaster), Hawaii has largely given-up...

This is worth a read if you are interested in the details of the problem — it’s applicable to many places on the planet... “Conservation is all about killing things,” a volunteer coördinator said.
The Big Kill
Nive

I’ve read that if you have possiums you won’t have rats or cockroaches but their hell on chicks.

BTW, The quote about Brits importing animals to shoot wherever they “colonized” came from a New Zealand Gov’t employee I met in Wellington when I was there in 2014. I asked this guy about the plan (in the newspaper) to kill all non-native mammals, and he went off about the Brits importing whatever they wanted anywhere they went — it was hilarious... When you get off the airplane, you have to walk-over sticky mats to remove seeds & stuff, then sign your life away that you're not importing any animals, plants, seeds, etc. Serious controls...

Here in Nevada, we have a problem with wild horses. They're everywhere! Once winter arrives they come down out of the mountains and hills in search of food. That means wandering up and down city streets chomping on prize lawn grass . . . They've learned that the BEST grass is found on golf courses and regularly sneak (if you can call galloping in the main gate "sneaking") in on a regular basis and enjoy the buffet.

Attachments

• Horses 0002.jpg
    Horses 0002.jpg
    743.2 KB · Views: 9
  • Golf course horses.jpg
    Golf course horses.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 9
Here in Nevada, we have a problem with wild horses. They're everywhere! Once winter arrives they come down out of the mountains and hills in search of food. That means wandering up and down city streets chomping on prize lawn grass . . . They've learned that the BEST grass is found on golf courses and regularly sneak (if you can call galloping in the main gate "sneaking") in on a regular basis and enjoy the buffet.

Do these horses get rounded up by someone to take to auction? Seems like a pretty easy way to make a few bucks when they come into town. Don't even have to go look for them. Just meet them on the 18th hole :)

Do these horses get rounded up by someone to take to auction? Seems like a pretty easy way to make a few bucks when they come into town. Don't even have to go look for them. Just meet them on the 18th hole :)

We're talking hundreds and hundreds of horses! Probably thousands. They are all over the state. They've tried rounding some up and taking them to our prisons for inmates (who fancy themselves cowboys) to train. Then they sold them. That didn't work out so well. They've rounded up horses and sold them to companies who make meat out of them. That REALLY didn't go over well. There are horse advocates galor here and they watch every move made by those who want the horses gone. Another issue here in Carson City is, every year, usually at night, a horse (or horses) wander out onto the highway where the speed limit is 55, and get hit. People have been killed in these accidents, along with the horses, of course. It's a major problem. And then there are the ranchers who say the horses are competing with their cattle for the scarce food sources out in the open land in the middle of the state.

But I love the "meet them at the 18th hole" comment! :);)

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
When I was married we had horses only because my wife loved them. Only problem was I was the one doing all the work taking care of them. I hated those hay burners. Her family was right into them for generations so I just kind of had to go along with having them around. Happiest day of my life was when I divorced the b!tch and the horses got shipped off to Winnipeg for dog food :)

When I was married we had horses only because my wife loved them. Only problem was I was the one doing all the work taking care of them. I hated those hay burners. Her family was right into them for generations so I just kind of had to go along with having them around. Happiest day of my life was when I divorced the b!tch and the horses got shipped off to Winnipeg for dog food :)
LOL, I had to deal with a STINKY room of LOUD exotic birds. The entire house always smelled like bird sh*t. I hated them. TG my job meant I wasn't home much... Well, you know what they say, marry you're 2nd wife first... I sure wish I did ;)

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skygod34