Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

DroneBase experience

brian bwin

Reaction score
Website
okvideode.com
Just thought I'd share my DroneBase experience so far for any of the Part 107 folks that are considering it (I believe they are also in other countries besides the US). I signed up as a means to explore the viability of the platform for making some extra $$ here and there and get some real estate experience.

I've flown two pano missions: one commercial, one residential, both within walking distance of our office. I uploaded the assets (25 stills for each panorama + 5 "beauty" shots of each property) on 1/13/17 and just got notification that both of them sold today, 2/1/17, for $19 each. LOL.

Pros:
  • Good experience.
  • Takes less than 15 minutes per location.
  • Potential for client/higher paying gigs in the future (they keep mentioning this in podcasts and marketing materials).

Cons:
  • Seriously low payout, especially when you factor in Verifly insurance at $10 a location or fly with a Visual Observer for safety.
  • Might set pricing expectations too low for area real estate clients: Why are you charging $300 when I got the same service (not really, but possibly in the client's mind) for $38 from DroneBase?
  • I have heard they payout on your opening missions to keep you on the platform when the actual likelihood of payout in the future might be far less. Totally just rumors, I have nothing concrete to base this on other than they did pay on my first two missions (on the same day/time) which both were listed as a below average likelihood to pay.
At this point I will probably do 1 mission a month during downtime and only if it is within 5 minutes of our office. That will keep me on the platform if/when they start adding higher pay missions and keep flight skills fresh since there will be times when we have no drone work at all.

Will continue to update my experience here, anyone else tried it or have thoughts?

Reactions: Quagmire LXIX
Seriously, $19 apiece? I'm curious what they're charging the client.

Great business model for them - they're just the middleman and pass all the costs and liability risk to the pilot, while taking the lion's share of the cash.

This "Potential for client/higher paying gigs in the future" sounds like stringing people along to me.

Seriously, $19 apiece? I'm curious what they're charging the client.

Great business model for them - they're just the middleman and pass all the costs and liability risk to the pilot, while taking the lion's share of the cash.

This "Potential for client/higher paying gigs in the future" sounds like stringing people along to me.
Yup, $19. Before tax :eek:. Pilots get 50% of their sale price and I am fairly certain they attempt to sell panos for $49.95 but will discount for bulk buys or if they can discount to "make the sale". There is also potential for assets to sell multiple times (for example once for a zillow listing, once for redfin, etc) but that seems pretty unlikely.

I agree it's great for them, not so great for pilots (other than quick/easy/experience). And possibly quite bad for the industry as a whole for devaluing the service.

I'm not holding my breath for future gigs but we'll see!

Yeah, $19 (minus the $10 verifly) leaves you with $9, out of $49.95. Before taxes (including self-employment tax), vehicle expenses, and everything else. And that's assuming nothing bad happens.

I was hoping that would be more worthwhile...

Exactly, a race to the bottom. GA-XSP-Pilot called it for how I see it as well: "Great business model for them - they're just the middleman and pass all the costs and liability risk to the pilot, while taking the lion's share of the cash.", replace "pilot" with driver and you have the Uber business model ;)

Yup, $19. Before tax :eek:. Pilots get 50% of their sale price and I am fairly certain they attempt to sell panos for $49.95 but will discount for bulk buys or if they can discount to "make the sale". There is also potential for assets to sell multiple times (for example once for a zillow listing, once for redfin, etc) but that seems pretty unlikely.

I agree it's great for them, not so great for pilots (other than quick/easy/experience). And possibly quite bad for the industry as a whole for devaluing the service.

I'm not holding my breath for future gigs but we'll see!
Yep, bad for the industry.

Reactions: brian bwin
From the T&C:

3. OwnerShip

All text, photographs, images, videos, and other materials (“hereinafter collectively referred to as ‘Content’”) submitted to the Site become the exclusive property of DroneBase. By submitting any Content, You hereby irrevocably assign and transfer to DroneBase and its successors and assigns, all rights, title, and interest in and to the Content. This assignment includes, but it is not limited to, all worldwide copyrights in and to the Content, and the right to use, assign, distribute, sell, modify, edit, adapt, dispose, electronically alter, and otherwise make use of the Content you submit to us. You warrant to us that you have all rights to the Content, [does this seem to contradict the first sentence?] and that You will indemnify us for any loss relating from a breach of this warranty and defend us against claims regarding the same.

Wow, they own the images/videos (and will re-sell it), you forever give up rights to use or credit for the work AND you get to pay to defend them yourself if they misuse the content.

I'm no Legal Secretary, but what a deal! [/s] :)

Reactions: DroneDriver
Hey BB,

Thanks for sharing your info on this company. I recently read a plug for Dronebase from UAV coach this past week. Looks like they are paying a little more (not much more). Have you used them since your last experience?Drone Jobs Galore with DroneBase | UAV Coach

Terms and conditions:DroneBase Pilots

I have flown one more pano mission because it was right next door to my friends house and I do want to keep on their system for potential client missions and future work like roof and other infrastructure jobs.

Would consider the roof jobs if they were offered in my area as you could go around and do a few in an afternoon for a guaranteed payout at $70 a pop. My hourly rate for ground video is $75 so it wouldn't be bad to pick up some of these when it is slow.

$19 (maybe, ha!) for a real estate job is just not worth it.

From the T&C:

3. OwnerShip

All text, photographs, images, videos, and other materials (“hereinafter collectively referred to as ‘Content’”) submitted to the Site become the exclusive property of DroneBase. By submitting any Content, You hereby irrevocably assign and transfer to DroneBase and its successors and assigns, all rights, title, and interest in and to the Content. This assignment includes, but it is not limited to, all worldwide copyrights in and to the Content, and the right to use, assign, distribute, sell, modify, edit, adapt, dispose, electronically alter, and otherwise make use of the Content you submit to us. You warrant to us that you have all rights to the Content, [does this seem to contradict the first sentence?] and that You will indemnify us for any loss relating from a breach of this warranty and defend us against claims regarding the same.

Wow, they own the images/videos (and will re-sell it), you forever give up rights to use or credit for the work AND you get to pay to defend them yourself if they misuse the content.

I'm no Legal Secretary, but what a deal! [/s] :)

They do seem to contradict themselves. I was aware they owned the content but I don't see any reason why you couldn't share the images with potential clients as long as you're not also trying to sell them separately to realtors or something.

Reactions: DroneDriver
Standard Real Estate Package - 2 Photos ---------------------- $150.00
2- 12 MegaPixel photos, digital delivery

Gold Real Estate Package - 5 Photos ----------------------------- $250.00
5- 12 MegaPixel photos, digital delivery

Premium Real Estate Video Tour Package ---------------------- $400.00
***Recommended- YouTube video results appear high on search pages***
1-2 Min video propety tour published to YouTube or Vimeo
Also includes Gold Package's 5 - 12 MP photos

Elite Real Estate Vidoe Tour Package - 20 Photos ------------- $800.00
20 Photos and 2-3 minutes of professionally edited footage, subtitled or voice-over. Ideal for large estates and luxury properties!

Construction Progress Package - 5 Photos x 3 shoots ------$600.00
3 Separate trips at beginning, middle and end of project to 5 HQ pictures of each stage of construction.
Additional visits $175 each.

I have flown one more pano mission because it was right next door to my friends house and I do want to keep on their system for potential client missions and future work like roof and other infrastructure jobs.

Would consider the roof jobs if they were offered in my area as you could go around and do a few in an afternoon for a guaranteed payout at $70 a pop. My hourly rate for ground video is $75 so it wouldn't be bad to pick up some of these when it is slow.

$19 (maybe, ha!) for a real estate job is just not worth it.

They do seem to contradict themselves. I was aware they owned the content but I don't see any reason why you couldn't share the images with potential clients as long as you're not also trying to sell them separately to realtors or something.

Good point BB. I wonder if you could copyright the work before you upload to them?

This sort of confirms the fact that, the only time you need a partner is when you want to be screwed. I can operate a phone book and find my own customers for free.

LOL
Everyone jumped on the I am going to make some money from my UAV platform after the Part 107 came out but never thought about buddy down the road thinking the same thing. There are so many people trying to make a buck from this it is unreal. I know people who quit there jobs to do this full time............big mistake. They are having a hard time trying to make ends meet.
Here in Canada you need a SFOC (special Flights Operation Certificate) which is 20 times more difficult to get then the US Part 107.
Where I live the biggest town near me has a population of 107000 people. You can look in the on line adds and find at least 30 to 40 people trying to sell Aerial photography even with how hard it is to get the right paper work done.

If your trying to make any money off of this I say good luck. :)

Reactions: brian bwin
I think a few guys around here make a little money doing it but to make a living at anything you have to put in the work. An ad in the local newspaper want ads is just what they say it is cheap. Internet advertising cheap. You have to get out there and shake some hands and sell it. Marketing is like some form of magic, you have it or not.

Reactions: TAMU1996

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials