Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Drone mapping anyone?

SWEET!

But I'm confused. If you're just uploading photos, what's the difference what camera took them?

Last edited:
Are you guys able to download PrecisionMapper?
When I go to the Downloads tab, I can download Viewer but there's no Mapper.

Are you guys able to download PrecisionMapper?
When I go to the Downloads tab, I can download Viewer but there's no Mapper.
You do not install it locally. You open an account and upload the files. Then when they are done processing you get an email. You can then view the map and share it. It is all cloud based. If you want to process 2D maps you can use Microsoft Image Composite Editor. It is free and you install it locally. Precision Mapper is geared toward the enterprise, it is costly and offers many services the are beyond hobby use.

Last month I contacted Precision Mapper and asked them to include the EVO camera in their data base. This is their reply.

Hi Carlos,

Sorry for the delay. According to our relevant department, your camera is scheduled to be included on the release that will be coming out on the 21st of September. PLease let us know if you have questions.

Thank you,
Marsha
So we will be able to do 3D and all the other services they offer. www.PrecisionMapper.com

Does anyone know if this actually happened? I see plenty of support for DJI, but can’t find anything about Autel.

I know this is an old thread but thought Autel might want to be reminded about 3D mapping. This was the response I received :

Thank you for contacting Autel Robotics Support. 3D mapping is something we are currently working on with third party companies to be able to integrate Evo into their platforms. Those companies will have access to Evo's SDK which will allow them to onboard Evo onto their software and let customers plan missions to 3D map an area from that program. We have not been given any sort of timeline as to when this integration would be complete or when it will be available to customers!

You can currently 3D map with Evo, but it is a bit more of a manual process. You would have to plan your own waypoint mission and manually take the necessary pictures needed to map the area you wish to map. All pictures taken on Evo will have the necessary .exif data you need to transfer these pictures into a 3D mapping program and have the program do the rest.

If you have any more questions or concerns please let me know, in the mean time please enjoy the rest of your Sunday and happy flying!

Reactions: danmleephoto
Last month I contacted Precision Mapper and asked them to include the EVO camera in their data base. This is their reply.

Hi Carlos,

Sorry for the delay. According to our relevant department, your camera is scheduled to be included on the release that will be coming out on the 21st of September. PLease let us know if you have questions.

Thank you,
Marsha
So we will be able to do 3D and all the other services they offer. www.PrecisionMapper.com

Weird I got this back from them. . . .

Dan,

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, we do not officially support this sensor. There is a possibility for it to stitch if the images are GeoTagged and taken at a 70% overlap, but there is no way for us to guarantee.

I would definitely suggest moving forward with a Mavic 2 Ent Dual. This is a great set up and allows you to collect live thermal video at a realistic price point. We are also able to process the visual data collected by this drone. I would be happy to shoot you out a quote for this product and software.

What are your thoughts here?

Gabe Supino
Account Executive
PrecisionHawk
C: (919) 726-7564
www.precisionhawk.com | [email protected]

I made this with my EVO. Just build a mission in Autel Explorer then process the images with Microsoft Image Composer (ICE) ...

Not to be dense, but I downloaded the still available ICE tool here:
Download Image Composite Editor (64 bit) from Official Microsoft Download Center

And have run a mission on my EVO, what I see doesn't directly import from the SD card inserted into my Lenovo Win 10 laptop.

Thanks for a few more hints/tips here! Another member of my team has used PrecisionHawk's tools with our Mavic Pro, so we do look forward to PrecisionHawk included the EVO in their supported hardware list. Who could we contact if they are looking for beta testers?

Weird I got this back from them. . . .

Dan,

Thanks for the information. Unfortunately, we do not officially support this sensor. There is a possibility for it to stitch if the images are GeoTagged and taken at a 70% overlap, but there is no way for us to guarantee.

Oops, didn't see this response from PrecisionHawk. Well, the Mavic Pro is still supported, though the image quality on the EVO seems to us better than the Mavic Pro, not sure about Mavic Pro 2.

I couldn't find a writeup on getting decent 2D and 3D map projections from running a "mission" in Autel Explorer with an EVO. Here is what I found using the dated Microsoft ICE tool and MapsMadeEasy.com:
HSS Main Site Aerial 2D and 3D rendering (public)

Attached below is the composite created by ICE, which is decent, but has some aliasing and a good bit more perspective distortion than the MapsMadeEasy.com output.

NOTE: to get decent perspective, we set the gimbal to 70deg, not 90deg which is ok if you only want the 2D mapping. Yeah, we know we flew a bit high as we drastically overestimated tree height at one edge of the property!

Compare with the MapsMadeEasy 2D rendering:
HSS Main Autel Map

and the 3D low res rendering from MapsMadeEasy:
3D HSS Main Autel Map
HSS-Main-ICE-2019-10-24-resized.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ansia

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members