Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Drone Insurance Help

resq3129

Reaction score
Ok folks, I need some input on Drone insurance. My Homeowner insurance states they will no longer cover my drone under the policy as they are getting out of covering them and concentrating on Home insurance only. I will need a policy that covers Hull and Liability. It seems it is running between $75 and $150 a month on the low ends. I use the drone mostly for pleasure and take occasional pictures that people have asked for copies of. Any assistance would be appreciated!

Ok folks, I need some input on Drone insurance. My Homeowner insurance states they will no longer cover my drone under the policy as they are getting out of covering them and concentrating on Home insurance only. I will need a policy that covers Hull and Liability. It seems it is running between $75 and $150 a month on the low ends. I use the drone mostly for pleasure and take occasional pictures that people have asked for copies of. Any assistance would be appreciated!
I recently contacted State Farm about drone insurance. They sent me a quote of $47 dollars a year. That is all the agents quote said. Does not describe coverage at all. He said he would need to see the drone (s) receipts to determine a loss coverage number. I guess I need to take them to his office, where I can question him on coverage specifics like liability limits and deductables. I have heard that farmers offers drone insurance in some states. Could call them as well.

I recently contacted State Farm about drone insurance. They sent me a quote of $47 dollars a year. That is all the agents quote said. Does not describe coverage at all. He said he would need to see the drone (s) receipts to determine a loss coverage number. I guess I need to take them to his office, where I can question him on coverage specifics like liability limits and deductables. I have heard that farmers offers drone insurance in some states. Could call them as well.
I have EVO insured through SF - it falls under Personal Articles policy. No deductible - itemized in policy and falls under Computer and Media Equipment (which covers my tablet) and Miscellaneous for drone, batteries, remote, accesories and hard case. I actually had both my EVO and DJI Spark covered for just $52/yr. Recently sold Spark so I'll have to amend my policy. Not sure of the coverage limit, but mine covers up to $1,854 in equipment so far. It's a very reasonable price for peace of mind.

I am definately getting insurance after I get mine back from Autel for repair...hope the bill isn't insane...but probably will be.

I have EVO insured through SF - it falls under Personal Articles policy. No deductible - itemized in policy and falls under Computer and Media Equipment (which covers my tablet) and Miscellaneous for drone, batteries, remote, accesories and hard case. I actually had both my EVO and DJI Spark covered for just $52/yr. Recently sold Spark so I'll have to amend my policy. Not sure of the coverage limit, but mine covers up to $1,854 in equipment so far. It's a very reasonable price for peace of mind.
Thanks for the info. Being so cheap it’s pretty silly not to insure drones. If it gets lost, stolen or destroyed, a thousand + dollars is in the toilet.

regards

Reactions: PoorMoney
Be sure to ask specifically about liability that is/is not included. $1500 for a crashed drone is nothing compared to a lawsuit.

I fly commercially and I've been going through AVION Insurance Co. It'a about $550/year. There are also apps out there where you can get insurance on the go just for the time(s) you need it, hourly even, here is an example of that kind of app: HERE.

Be sure to ask specifically about liability that is/is not included. $1500 for a crashed drone is nothing compared to a lawsuit.

I fly commercially and I've been going through AVION Insurance Co. It'a about $550/year. There are also apps out there where you can get insurance on the go just for the time(s) you need it, hourly even, here is an example of that kind of app: HERE.
I don’t fly commercially at this time. Got drone replacement insurance the other day through State Farm, $75.00 a year. They do not cover liability. Agent suggested contacting my primary insurance to see if home owners will cover liability. I fly only recreational, If I did the drone thing for a living, like you I would not be the cheap guy with regard to covering my self better.

Regards

I contacted a State Farm agent and he quoted me $38 PAP policy with a $100 deductable for my Evo 2 Pro

However, he did say that State Farm is considering dropping such coverage...depending on the loss rate and that such a decision is pending (one way or the other).

Personal, recreation loss only. No commercial flying covered. Under 55# drone. Proof of purchase. Coverage to drone and camera if equipped that way from factory. Does not cover battery, phone used to operate, and propellers.

Last edited:
Currently using skywatch.ai's app to cover hull and liability, but as a recreational pilot it's a bit overkill for me and more expensive than state farm by a wide margin.

I called state farm out of interest, and was told you can't get a personal articles policy without first having either a home or auto policy - which I don't. Is that consistent with what others have experienced with state farm?

Currently using skywatch.ai's app to cover hull and liability, but as a recreational pilot it's a bit overkill for me and more expensive than state farm by a wide margin.

I called state farm out of interest, and was told you can't get a personal articles policy without first having either a home or auto policy - which I don't. Is that consistent with what others have experienced with state farm?
Yes - the only policy I have with them is the PAP - no home or auto ($52/yr).

I paid for drone PAP policy PLUS $10000 liability, $100 deductable on drone replacement, for $75, my sole policy with State Farm (Seattle, WA)
Interesting - didn't offer liability 2yrs ago when I signed up - I'll need to ask about it again.

I paid for the policy based on the broker's description and options given. I will update
this in a week which, by then, I should have received all the paperwork from State Farm.
It ain't over until they sign it, too.

Interesting - didn't offer liability 2yrs ago when I signed up - I'll need to ask about it again.

NOTE: I was looking into this with State Farm, but is only for recreational use. That makes sense, but for the most part doesn't personally work because I'll be mostly using this for business.

I went with Global Aerospace. $2 million coverage, hull and liability. Kind of pricey. Did an annual policy for $1000. I operate commercially, so just wanted to be sure to be covered by an actual aircraft insurance company. That price is for 2 aircraft. I believe it is also based on the cost of full replacement for your aircraft. They've been great so far. Haven't had any accidents so far also, god bless??

Reactions: zedwards
Just an update on my application for State Farm recreational drone coverage. It took them quite a while (2 months) to process my policy but I finally received confirmation of my coverage:

recreational use only
$100 deductable
Autel Evo 2 Rugged bundle (drone, prop, battery, charger), s/n on file
They did not include liability coverage that my broker selected for $10k
The cost for the policy was $75 and made retroactive to mid-July

I did not ask if the coverage would apply if I was part 107 qualified but flying recreationally, i.e. if the commerial privileges would disqualify any claim. I guess I can feel a bit easier going ludicrous mode now

Reactions: House Forasken
something you should know about the state farm coverage from someone who has had it once so I'm speaking for a friend. pretty much exactly as described in a number of posts here. it is good coverage and it's very inexpensive and it's solid piece of mind. varies from location to location. my friend made a claim for a destroyed mavic and it only took a few weeks to send out a check for the amount listed on the receipt; no deductible; no liability. all you need to do is fill out claim form and send pictures; not required to send broken hardware so keep all the "junk." policy ended upon claim and they refund the unused months from the premium as well.

here comes policy renewal day (trying to cover the new autel replacement) and paid the annual, everything approved but within a month he received a policy cancellation notice (effective in one week) alone with premium refund check citing "past claims history."

bottom line is if you make sf policy claim you are likely to be unable to receive similar future coverage. this is what he tells me. ;)

that isn’t a surprising outcome after a claim, and one which i knew going in. But we’re talking $75 (in my case) for a potential return of $2000 is a no brainer.

that isn’t a surprising outcome after a claim, and one which i knew going in. But we’re talking $75 (in my case) for a potential return of $2000 is a no brainer.

agreed, the destruction was a total loss so it's hard to argue. my friend spent $65 and got a check for $1200 for a mavic 2 that was rock solid but involved in an unfortunate collision that wasn't his fault. and now for $65, he is unable to get covered for a twice as expensive drone which is about "half" as rock solid and could use a nice coverage policy. the upside is he is a better flyer a year later so there's that. lots of factors.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo