Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Does anyone know if the Evo will, in Dynamic Track mode...

Apollo11capcom

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Evo will, in Dynamic Track mode, follow its target up in altitude?

For example, if it's tracking another drone, and the Evo is already somewhat above and to the side of the target drone, when the target drone climbs, do you think the Evo will climb as well?

check out this link, to the right are all kinds of training videos, and settings for things on the evo

Reactions: bobfa100
check out this link, to the right are all kinds of training videos, and settings for things on the evo

Does it actually talk about that? It's kind of an obscure, unusual thing. Every tracking video I've watched has to do with targets on the ground. (Thanks, I will watch it when i get a free minute)

Btw- I need to add the word 'automatically' to the scenario, I know it can be done manually during tracking.

Does anyone know if the Evo will, in Dynamic Track mode, follow its target up in altitude?

For example, if it's tracking another drone, and the Evo is already somewhat above and to the side of the target drone, when the target drone climbs, do you think the Evo will climb as well?
Not yet, but you can ask Autel to do an update for this.

No, It will NOT automatically adjust altitude when locked on and tracking. Obstacle avoidance will stop it from hitting something (hopefully) but it will not adjust height

Reactions: Apollo11capcom
I know Autel can add it with the firmware. The Parrot Anafi uses the cellphone's barometer to adjust height, so I know for a fact that it can be incorporated.

Reactions: Apollo11capcom
I know Autel can add it with the firmware. The Parrot Anafi uses the cellphone's barometer to adjust height, so I know for a fact that it can be incorporated.

His question about if it will follow another drone and adjust height is kind of confusing. The other drone would have to have the cell phone on it that has the barometer so the one following knows what height to fly at. The Anafi does this in follow me mode but you are the one it is following with the phone. It does have different tracking modes but they stay at the same Alt. as far as I know.

Reactions: Ansia
His question about if it will follow another drone and adjust height is kind of confusing. The other drone would have to have the cell phone on it that has the barometer so the one following knows what height to fly at. The Anafi does this in follow me mode but you are the one it is following with the phone. It does have different tracking modes but they stay at the same Alt. as far as I know.
So if I attach the phone to the other drone, then the Anafi will gain altitude?

So if I attach the phone to the other drone, then the Anafi will gain altitude?
Don't think that would work very well. You would have to have a very wide open area for one thing so when the first drone land the one following would have lots of room to either land or wait to be landed.
Sounds like a crash just waiting to happen to me.

Reactions: MTPro and Ansia
Don't think that would work very well. You would have to have a very wide open area for one thing so when the first drone land the one following would have lots of room to either land or wait to be landed.
Sounds like a crash just waiting to happen to me.
Yeah I agree with this, it does seem like it could all go wrong pretty quickly. I'm not sure I'm actually going to try but I was thinking about it and the question as to whether or not it would climb has been ringing in my head since then.

Ive seen other people make some pretty cool videos of drones in flight using other drones to film, but I don't think they were tracking.

I guess I'm not following what you're saying. What I had in mind would be similar to tracking a skateboarder or anything else, just with the addition of altitude changes. It would be two different drones, remotes, etc., just using the visual tracking of the evo to automate the filming drone. What you're saying about the cellphone and barometer has lost me... not a hard task, losing me.

I guess I'm not following what you're saying. What I had in mind would be similar to tracking a skateboarder or anything else, just with the addition of altitude changes. It would be two different drones, remotes, etc., just using the visual tracking of the evo to automate the filming drone. What you're saying about the cellphone and barometer has lost me... not a hard task, losing me.
If the drone you are trying to track goes up in alt. there would be no way for the drone following to know this. It could follow with the camera but its alt. will never change. Not sure on how DJI's tracking works but I do not think it would follow and change alt. but I can be wrong. With the Anafi I can tell it to follow me with my phone as the controller and when I go up hill it will change its alt. because it is getting that information from the barometer in my phone and the App sends that to the Anafi to change alt. On how well this works is dependent on how fast you climb and how fast the Anafi can adjust to keep up. I have seen dirt bike videos where the Anafi did not adjust fast enough and just plowed into the hill side. :)

DJI drones do gain altitude in follow me mode. How, it's magic!

Ya Ok I don't know much about the active track on DJI but I think I heard it will follow someone without a phone or controller is that right? I also heard it is not all that great at keeping the subject in the shot. So if you get your dog as the subject will it follow him around where ever he goes? And if he goes up hill will it adjust alt. so it does not crash?

The first verison on my first Mavic would not do up hill or down and had a real problem keeping subject in frame,, I only tried it once, and it was not something I needed so never tried it again, I thought I read in one of the updates, that it would do a slight uphill but not down, really don't remember, ant they might be much better with the pro zoom, Its only good if you need it and use it, otherwise its just more stuff that is taking up space,,,

Ya Ok I don't know much about the active track on DJI but I think I heard it will follow someone without a phone or controller is that right? I also heard it is not all that great at keeping the subject in the shot. So if you get your dog as the subject will it follow him around where ever he goes? And if he goes up hill will it adjust alt. so it does not crash?
Correct in all accounts. If the target moves erratic and fast, it will lose it, but if you go linear, it will keep up. It uses all it's sensors and the angle of the camera to gain altitude.

At least that is my experience with my Phantom.

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
If the drone you are trying to track goes up in alt. there would be no way for the drone following to know this. It could follow with the camera but its alt. will never change. Not sure on how DJI's tracking works but I do not think it would follow and change alt. but I can be wrong. With the Anafi I can tell it to follow me with my phone as the controller and when I go up hill it will change its alt. because it is getting that information from the barometer in my phone and the App sends that to the Anafi to change alt. On how well this works is dependent on how fast you climb and how fast the Anafi can adjust to keep up. I have seen dirt bike videos where the Anafi did not adjust fast enough and just plowed into the hill side. :)
Ah, ok, I follow you now. This is why I said the filming drone would start above and somewhat to the side of the target. What I had in mind was, if the filming drone is already starting higher, it would have room in the frame to visually follow the target upwards, then the motion of the camera raising would tell the drone it needs to climb.

Ideally the tracking would be good enough to keep on target even if the target was at the very top of the frame and ascended quickly, but we all know how tracking is with sudden movements and so on.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marwan