Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Damaged Battery Warning - Then Lost Complete Control

Drone LiPo batteries are high current, and they typically last about a year, maybe more. LiPo batteries require a lot of care and you have to be religious about use, and storage when not in use.

Even when you do everything right, LiPO battery naturally fail. The first sign of fault is swelling. After a flight you can see a belly form under the battery.

LiPO batteries get hot, and HEAT is the enemy. People store in cases in a warm area, and that doesn't always serve to make the batteries last longer. Leaving in the car that is hot on a sunny day... asking for issues long term. Charging batteries when warm even when the charger permits is not a good thing to do.

Always fly the battery down to about 40-50% charge. Store them that way. Self discharge is great, and can save the battery life some, BUT it is best to NOT let them auto discharge. Auto discharge creates long term internal heating which can shorten battery life since the dielectric materials are heated. Never immediately charge a warm battery after use. Never charge a battery just to let it not be used, and then self discharge. That kills their lifespan

Drone LiPo batteries are high current, and they typically last about a year, maybe more. LiPo batteries require a lot of care and you have to be religious about use, and storage when not in use.

Even when you do everything right, LiPO battery naturally fail. The first sign of fault is swelling. After a flight you can see a belly form under the battery.

LiPO batteries get hot, and HEAT is the enemy. People store in cases in a warm area, and that doesn't always serve to make the batteries last longer. Leaving in the car that is hot on a sunny day... asking for issues long term. Charging batteries when warm even when the charger permits is not a good thing to do.

Always fly the battery down to about 40-50% charge. Store them that way. Self discharge is great, and can save the battery life some, BUT it is best to NOT let them auto discharge. Auto discharge creates long term internal heating which can shorten battery life since the dielectric materials are heated. Never immediately charge a warm battery after use. Never charge a battery just to let it not be used, and then self discharge. That kills their lifespan
Mike - thank you for the detailed reply this info will be very helpful in maintaining future batteries. I don’t mind replacing batteries I am just worried about the drone malfunction and the warning I got after committing to a flight long distance or over water. Thanks Chris

Reactions: Nightbat2
Mike - thank you for the detailed reply this info will be very helpful in maintaining future batteries. I don’t mind replacing batteries I am just worried about the drone malfunction and the warning I got after committing to a flight long distance or over water. Thanks Chris
I don’t mind replacing batteries. It’s not being able to get them that concerns me.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials