Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Damaged Battery Warning - Then Lost Complete Control

Itschrismck

Reaction score
Hello Autel Family

My EVO 1 is 12 months old along with the 3 batteries and has 10 or so flights on it (never crashed or hard landed)

Last weekend I went up for a routine flight at the beach. Once I got over the water I got the "Damaged Battery Warning" and lost complete control on both sticks. I knew I had a plan B (return to home or land) but wanted to see if I could regain control. After taking a deep breath I calmly went through everything to make sure it was not user error, including turning off the sensors and making sure I was connected, etc. Still no control, and still over water! So I figured the drone would do 1 of 2 things, 1) return to home or 2) land in the water. I got in the car and drove down the from the cliff to the beach and in knee-deep water got under the drone. I gained side to side control nothing else. I made the decision to hit land here and canceled return to home. The drone slowly came straight down and I hand caught it. Said a little prayer and walked off the beach like I meant to do that. :)

Unfortunately, there is no viral video to follow.

QUESTION: Why did I lose full control? Was it from the damaged battery? Aside from replacing the battery is there something I need to look into? Sensor issue? Beach moisture in the air? Interference? Autel trying to tell me to buy the EVO 2?

Thanks in advance for any input
Chris

• Wow
Reactions: PingSpike
I had the same thing happen but I wasn't over water. Glad you managed that save!

Mine immediately rose to Go Home altitude and preceded home just like it should...AND I was able to regain radio control after the initial climb. I actually landed it myself. So it sounds like you may have a bad battery plus another issue, unless your battery was critical? Do you remember your total voltage at the time of the event? Mine was a weak cell causing too much voltage imbalance between the cells. My overall voltage was still acceptable so I was able to override RTH.

Reactions: Itschrismck
When I had my experience, my Evo rose to half of RTH's height and then proceeded to descend down to 10' above ground and just hovered there. It wouldn't respond to any of my commands. I grabbed a ladder and just tilted the drone until the motors stopped. Now I use that battery to charge my cellphone.

I had the same thing happen but I wasn't over water. Glad you managed that save!

Mine immediately rose to Go Home altitude and preceded home just like it should...AND I was able to regain radio control after the initial climb. I actually landed it myself. So it sounds like you may have a bad battery plus another issue unless your battery was critical? Do you remember your total voltage at the time of the event? Mine was a weak cell causing too much voltage imbalance between the cells. My overall voltage was still acceptable so I was able to override RTH.
Thanks for your reply, upon writing my experience above I forgot to mention the drone did go to RTH height at the moment the damaged battery was detected. I don't recall the voltage at the time my brain was going 100mph. I'll take a safe flight with a good battery and test out the EVOs handling.

When I had my experience, my Evo rose to half of RTH's height and then proceeded to descend down to 10' above ground and just hovered there. It wouldn't respond to any of my commands. I grabbed a ladder and just tilted the drone until the motors stopped. Now I use that battery to charge my cellphone.
Thanks for your reply, upon writing my experience above I forgot to mention the drone did go to RTH height at the moment the damaged battery was detected. I guess I now have an orange phone charger :)

I had a total of 4 batteries. The original 3 that came with the Evo and the "Go" bundle, plus an extra one that I had purchased in September of last year. The originals were out of warranty but it turned out the newer battery was the failure. Alejandro and the gang replaced the battery at no cost. A+ to Autel's customer service. My luck usually doesn't go this well.

I had a total of 4 batteries. The original 3 that came with the Evo and the "Go" bundle, plus an extra one that I had purchased in September of last year. The originals were out of warranty but it turned out the newer battery was the failure. Alejandro and the gang replaced the battery at no cost. A+ to Autel's customer service. My luck usually doesn't go this well.
I literally have 5 days left of warranty, Ill submit a claim tonight thanks again

I hope this is my first and last time since I fly over the ocean. Question, were your batteries about 10+ months old?
Just over 12 months—just out of warranty. I didn’t expect them to be replaced F.O.C, but Evo 1 batteries are no longer obtainable in Australia and the regional distributor could not supply any because of airline regulations about the carriage of LiPos. Autel US responded that they were ‘working on’ a supply solution. That was the last I heard. A couple of US dealers said they would ship by courier but they were out of stock. In the end, I picked up two from an Asian dealer. The price of shipping made my eyes water!

Just over 12 months—just out of warranty. I didn’t expect them to be replaced F.O.C, but Evo 1 batteries are no longer obtainable in Australia and the regional distributor could not supply any because of airline regulations about the carriage of LiPos. Autel US responded that they were ‘working on’ a supply solution. That was the last I heard. A couple of US dealers said they would ship by courier but they were out of stock. In the end, I picked up two from an Asian dealer. The price of shipping made my eyes water!
Well that's a bummer, I guess I better grab a few spares since mine are now turning 12 months old... EVO batteries must go by dog years :)

Reactions: Nightbat2
I Have been bringing this issue to AUTEL since DEC 2019, I have 5 batteries that are giving me the same issue all 5 will not now arm the props as all I get on the RC and IPAD is damaged Batteries, but when I said to AUTEL I got no response, I hope you all get better results, regards TJK UK.

I Have been bringing this issue to AUTEL since DEC 2019, I have 5 batteries that are giving me the same issue all 5 will not now arm the props as all I get on the RC and IPAD is damaged Batteries, but when I said to AUTEL I got no response, I hope you all get better results, regards TJK UK.
No. I managed to acquire two batteries from an Asian dealer. If they succumb to whatever is causing the problem I’ll probably have to retire the bird.

I acquired three-second hand batteries from a pilot in Canada, on installing I get the UPDATE Message I IGNORE and all is well fly out 3.7 miles and return with no issue, I replace with one of my batteries and I get no UPDATE and it will not arm props.

Hello Autel Family

My EVO 1 is 12 months old along with the 3 batteries and has 10 or so flights on it (never crashed or hard landed)

Last weekend I went up for a routine flight at the beach. Once I got over the water I got the "Damaged Battery Warning" and lost complete control on both sticks. I knew I had a plan B (return to home or land) but wanted to see if I could regain control. After taking a deep breath I calmly went through everything to make sure it was not user error, including turning off the sensors and making sure I was connected, etc. Still no control, and still over water! So I figured the drone would do 1 of 2 things, 1) return to home or 2) land in the water. I got in the car and drove down the from the cliff to the beach and in knee-deep water got under the drone. I gained side to side control nothing else. I made the decision to hit land here and canceled return to home. The drone slowly came straight down and I hand caught it. Said a little prayer and walked off the beach like I meant to do that. :)

Unfortunately, there is no viral video to follow.

QUESTION: Why did I lose full control? Was it from the damaged battery? Aside from replacing the battery is there something I need to look into? Sensor issue? Beach moisture in the air? Interference? Autel trying to tell me to buy the EVO 2?

Thanks in advance for any input
Chris
If you registered your Evo, all the info should be accessible to you in the cloud. You will be able to see the flight and see all pertinent information regarding what your battery was doing.

Reading all this plus my yesterday's experience makes me lose trust in Evo.
I haven't used in about 3-4 weeks then I recharged all 3 batteries plus controller to 100%.
I took an old friend (92 YO) to show him the miracle of technology. I flew over the indian River using my tablet. Everything went as planned.
When I returned home I still had two batteries fully charged so I decided to do a bit of flying around the house to bring them to a lower charge.
I tried taking off from the driveway where I placed the landing pad .( No rebars in there. I built the house myself.)
as soon as I started the motors it flipped upside down with one motor not turning . It landed on the TILE which I had it set on top a while back for easier find in case it goes awry.,so the back of the drone didnt get scratched.
On second attempt Under the same conditions it took off but barely flying about a foot high, and drifted over the lawn where it l gently crash landed almost sideways.
On third and forth attempt it properly took of and flew a mission without any event.
Should I send it back to Autel? How long is the warranty?I think I bought it last winter.
No more taking off from hard surfaces or from narrow decks. And if I cannot fly it over the water then it becomes useless

If you registered your Evo, all the info should be accessible to you in the cloud. You will be able to see the flight and see all pertinent information regarding what your battery was doing.
Yes, I have all the records and flight saved luckily, thanks for your help.

Reading all this plus my yesterday's experience makes me lose trust in Evo.
I haven't used in about 3-4 weeks then I recharged all 3 batteries plus controller to 100%.
I took an old friend (92 YO) to show him the miracle of technology. I flew over the indian River using my tablet. Everything went as planned.
When I returned home I still had two batteries fully charged so I decided to do a bit of flying around the house to bring them to a lower charge.
I tried taking off from the driveway where I placed the landing pad .( No rebars in there. I built the house myself.)
as soon as I started the motors it flipped upside down with one motor not turning . It landed on the TILE which I had it set on top a while back for easier find in case it goes awry.,so the back of the drone didnt get scratched.
On second attempt Under the same conditions it took off but barely flying about a foot high, and drifted over the lawn where it l gently crash landed almost sideways.
On third and forth attempt it properly took of and flew a mission without any event.
Should I send it back to Autel? How long is the warranty?I think I bought it last winter.
No more taking off from hard surfaces or from narrow decks. And if I cannot fly it over the water then it becomes useless
Well that does not sound good! Wonder what was going on. The warranty is 1 year you will need the following items to start a claim:

1. Digital Copy of Proof of Purchase within 12 months of date ticket was opened
2. First and Last Name
3. Contact Phone Number
4. Your Shipping Address
5. Battery Serial Number- Please attach a photo of the bottom of the battery, with the Battery S/N clearly visible (It is located under the small QR code).
6. Retail Serial Number or Aircraft Serial Number (This is located on the retail packaging or on the white card located inside your hard case. It should start with "EV or E").
7. Screenshots/Photos of the Damaged
EMAIL [email protected]

Hope this helps
Chris

UPDATE

Warranty email sent Aug 4 no reply from Autel Support yet.

1-year warranty is up Aug 12th.

Thank you everyone for your support and comments

Chris

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy