Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Convert Explorer Mission TXT files to KML: A simple utility

OZPilot

Reaction score
I could not find an easy way to transfer my Missions from the Standard Controller to the Smart Controller, so I decided to see what I could knock up.

Attached is a HTML (Download the TXT file and change the extension to ".html") file that will convert Waypoint and Rectangle Missions from the JSON TXT file to a basic KML file that can be used to import back into the Explorer app.

It does NOT do altitude, actions, gimble angle etc... Just the Latitude and longitudes points.

It uses simple, poorly written Javascript and requires no internet connection.

How to use:
  1. Select "Choose Files" to browser your local file system. It supports multiple files
  2. Change the KML Template if desired.
    • There are 3 placeholders
      1. [POINTS] - The Lat/long
      2. [NAME] - File Name without extension
      3. [PLACE] - File Name without extension
  3. Select the "Create" button
    • Each file will either produce an error message or a download link
  4. Select "Save All" or click the hyperlink for individual files

LICENCE: You can do what ever you want with it and I take no responsibility for anything... ever.

Attachments

• Demo.JPG
    Demo.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 42
  • AUTEL_TXT_TO_KML.txt
    5.2 KB · Views: 38
Reactions: Dave Pitman
I could not find an easy way to transfer my Missions from the Standard Controller to the Smart Controller, so I decided to see what I could knock up.

Attached is a HTML (Download the TXT file and change the extension to ".html") file that will convert Waypoint and Rectangle Missions from the JSON TXT file to a basic KML file that can be used to import back into the Explorer app.

It does NOT do altitude, actions, gimble angle etc... Just the Latitude and longitudes points.

It uses simple, poorly written Javascript and requires no internet connection.

How to use:
  1. Select "Choose Files" to browser your local file system. It supports multiple files
  2. Change the KML Template if desired.
    • There are 3 placeholders
      1. [POINTS] - The Lat/long
      2. [NAME] - File Name without extension
      3. [PLACE] - File Name without extension
  3. Select the "Create" button
    • Each file will either produce an error message or a download link
  4. Select "Save All" or click the hyperlink for individual files

LICENCE: You can do what ever you want with it and I take no responsibility for anything... ever.
any chance you're working on a 'Google Earth Pro to Explorer app' code as well?

I would be very interested in that as well! The "Dronelink" web/app has what I think is a much better mission planning tool than the Autel Explorer app and it has the ability to output a kmz file that you can fly in Google Earth Pro, but I have not been successful bringing those files into the Explorer app. I can supply some of these files for test cases if any of you coders out there would like to take a stab at it.

It would be fairly easy to create an XML transform to convert KML to Explorer JSON, but I think the Explorer App uses a built-in database to register the Mission. Accessing and then writing to the database would not be trivial without some source code.

• Sad
Reactions: LoneStarISR
It would be fairly easy to create an XML transform to convert KML to Explorer JSON, but I think the Explorer App uses a built-in database to register the Mission. Accessing and then writing to the database would not be trivial without some source code.
That appears to be the case, while the .txt files appear, it seems that autel is storing or registering the mission info elsewhere. Have had success exporting from Google Earth and Litchi and then importing into autel for basic locations. However still have to add wpt actions, pois, etc. How easy could it, or should it be for Autel to add a simple real mission (with waypoint actions, mission settings, pois, etc) save/export, and import (preserving the attributes). Seems like a real engineer could tap that out pretty quick, or, have an intern put something together. Perhaps even something like along the lines of how flight records are synced.

Reactions: Gpop24

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SycamoreGroves