Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Controller batter drains quickly when connected to tablet

As I understand, Android devices are set to charge from whatever they are plugged into. I've been told it's a "safety feature", although I cannot understand why.

It's well documented on line. Apparently, there's a way to modify a cable with a resistor to make it take less of a charge. I don't use an Android device, so I don't have more details.

My initial concern was how much battery the Explorer app sucked out of my iPhone...
On my first few missions my full charged iPhone would need a recharge slightly before the RC. But I wasn't getting an unbalanced charge like with the Android tablet. Found some stuff online about USB OTG. Interesting, but without a way to control which device acts as host it isn't helpful, really.

On my first few missions my full charged iPhone would need a recharge slightly before the RC. But I wasn't getting an unbalanced charge like with the Android tablet. Found some stuff online about USB OTG. Interesting, but without a way to control which device acts as host it isn't helpful, really.

Yes...it's an Android thing to pull a charge from whatever device it is attached to.

Thanks for all the input folks. Just a quick update on more testing and communicating I've done that I hope will help others in the future.

I've now tested my Autel RC with my iPad Pro 12.9 and and older iPad Air 2, my iPhone 12, and my Tripltek Pro. As discussed above and from various other sources, Android devices automatically assume a peripheral role rather than a host role with USB OTG in play. This then drains the Autel RC which for longer missions can be a real issue.

Oh, that it were so simple as just using an iPad. However, WiFi only iPads under perform the Tripltek as GPS receivers. An Apple rep recommended adding cellular service to up this performance. I was able to pull the sim Card on my Tripltek to test it with and without cellular and didn't notice a big difference in GPS performance. My iPhone and the Tripltek got down to about 20 ft accuracy. The WiFi-only iPads couldn't get closer that 50-100 yards, even tethered.

Finally, someone from Tripltek pointed me to a "no power" cable that Tripltek actually makes. It is not available on their normal shopping page, but you can order them. As they are hand made after you order with a -5VDC resister to drop the power pull from .45 Ah to .03 Ah they are pricey ($40+ Shipping).

Hope this helps others with long mission needs wanting to use a Tripltek.

Hey thanks for the reply. I'm only getting the 45 minutes when using my Tripletek. I get more than 3.5 hours with my iPhone 12. I will reach out to Autel though. They are pretty good about helping out so far.
Same issue with Tripletek. Does it matter if you use the micro port OR the USB A port? I have yet to try it with the micro port to see if it still charges.

The best way around that is to connect a battery power pack to the other input on the controller. When I questioned Autel about this, they said several of their people do the same thing. If I can find their email i will post it.

Same issue with Tripletek. Does it matter if you use the micro port OR the USB A port? I have yet to try it with the micro port to see if it still charges.
Interesting. I don't even have a micro to USB-C cable. I am not if the data connection would work. The micro port circuit may be dedicated to power only. I know in my conversations with Tripltek this was not mentioned as a possible solution.

As an update here's what I've done:
  • Definitely start with a 100% charge on the Tripltek. This means I have to charge my tablet and then turn it off as it discharges rather rapidly in hibernate mode. This slows down the rate of power theft ;-)
  • You can order a "no power" cable from Tripltek. It is a hand made cable, so they charge $40 plus shipping. Plan on about $50. That's the good news. The bad news is that I am still trying to get a cable that actually works. The first one would connect the tablet and RC at all. The second would connect at home when I wasn't moving anything, but in the field, if I bumped the USB-A side on the RC (next to my body) it would disconnect and reconnect after I wiggled it. Still waiting on cable #3. The Tripltek tech support has been good to work with and has been quick to send another cable without me needing to return the defective one. That is appreciated.
  • Finally, I saw a refurbished RC on the Autel website and grabbed it for a little over $200. I figured it would be good to have a back up one way or another. I am not sure if the original controller has chip issues like the Smart Controller, but if I ever have problems while I'm on a job site, I'm covered.
Anyway, I'm still hoping the cable they are sending will work this time. But ...

Good luck. Please let me know what you find out with the micro port.

Here is the Autel reply and my question below it....
Taylor B. ([email protected])To:you Details
Hello Len,

Great question! I didn't know the answer myself and had to reach out to our engineers. It turns out that's totally fine and often what they do!

Best,

Taylor B.

Customer Support Representative
[email protected]
AUTEL ROBOTICS
www.AutelRobotics.com
Facebook | Twitter | Instagram | YouTube
On Thu, 27 Feb at 12:14 PM , Len Feinberg <[email protected]> wrote:
Hello Taylor
My Galaxy Note 9 charges whenever I plug it in to the USB Micro B on the remote controller and there does not appear to be a way in the phone to stop the charging of the phone and discharging of the remote controller. However I can plug a portable battery pack into the USB A port on the Charger at the same time to keep the remote controller charged and it appears to work. Is there any problem or harm doing this.?

thanks

Reactions: HigherAttitudesLLC
The best way around that is to connect a battery power pack to the other input on the controller. When I questioned Autel about this, they said several of their people do the same thing. If I can find their email i will post it.
I haven't tried this yet, as I just don't have a way to keep it stable. I'm using the Sky Fire Aerial Deluxe mount for the Tripltek, but I just don't have a decent way of making that work without it moving all about. Worried this will eventually affect the micro port on the RC. Any tips on attaching for field use?

Interesting. I don't even have a micro to USB-C cable. I am not if the data connection would work. The micro port circuit may be dedicated to power only. I know in my conversations with Tripltek this was not mentioned as a possible solution.

As an update here's what I've done:
  • Definitely start with a 100% charge on the Tripltek. This means I have to charge my tablet and then turn it off as it discharges rather rapidly in hibernate mode. This slows down the rate of power theft ;-)
  • You can order a "no power" cable from Tripltek. It is a hand made cable, so they charge $40 plus shipping. Plan on about $50. That's the good news. The bad news is that I am still trying to get a cable that actually works. The first one would connect the tablet and RC at all. The second would connect at home when I wasn't moving anything, but in the field, if I bumped the USB-A side on the RC (next to my body) it would disconnect and reconnect after I wiggled it. Still waiting on cable #3. The Tripltek tech support has been good to work with and has been quick to send another cable without me needing to return the defective one. That is appreciated.
  • Finally, I saw a refurbished RC on the Autel website and grabbed it for a little over $200. I figured it would be good to have a back up one way or another. I am not sure if the original controller has chip issues like the Smart Controller, but if I ever have problems while I'm on a job site, I'm covered.
Anyway, I'm still hoping the cable they are sending will work this time. But ...

Good luck. Please let me know what you find out with the micro port.
I went ahead and ordered the cables...we will see how it goes

Reactions: HigherAttitudesLLC
I still say just get a used iPad mini off of eBay...problem solved. Sure the Tripletek is brighter, but I've been flying professionally since 2014, same iPad mini since 2016....I just stand in the shade or with my back to the sun.
I do that even with the Tripltek.

Reactions: herein2021
When connecting a tablet to the controller, the controller battery drains quickly. Is there a method to prevent the tablet from charging off the controller power? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
When this happens on my Android Motorola, from the top swipe down just when the charging notification comes up, pick the notification and you can select for charging or other.

I haven't used my Android on my Evo II Pro V2 RTK, been using the big Smart Controller. Great unit by the way, really enjoy flying and learning my part 107

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d