Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Controller batter drains quickly when connected to tablet

Reaction score
When connecting a tablet to the controller, the controller battery drains quickly. Is there a method to prevent the tablet from charging off the controller power? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

When connecting a tablet to the controller, the controller battery drains quickly. Is there a method to prevent the tablet from charging off the controller power? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Is this for a iPad or an Android tablet? I have a normal USB A to Apple Lightning port cable for my iPad mini tablet and it does not charge while connected to the controller.

I'm using an android tablet and a Samsung Phone and no matter what, it start charging when connected to the controller. I read somewhere that is the normal behavior with android and can't be changed. If someone find more information, please share.

I'm using an android tablet and a Samsung Phone and no matter what, it start charging when connected to the controller. I read somewhere that is the normal behavior with android and can't be changed. If someone find more information, please share.

I don't use any Android tablets so I cannot test this, but I found this tip on a Mavic forum that maybe you could try;

I found a way to stop the android from charging. First you have to put the phone gently on the floor. Make sure your phone is oriented to the north. Now, with a hammer, SMASH THE PHONE and go and get an iPhone...

I found a way to stop the android from charging. First you have to put the phone gently on the floor. Make sure your phone is oriented to the north. Now, with a hammer, SMASH THE PHONE and go and get an i

Is this for a iPad or an Android tablet? I have a normal USB A to Apple Lightning port cable for my iPad mini tablet and it does not charge while connected to the controller.
It is an Android tablet.

I found a way to stop the android from charging. First you have to put the phone gently on the floor. Make sure your phone is oriented to the north. Now, with a hammer, SMASH THE PHONE and go and get an iPhone...
Funny. Unfortunately the reason I switched to an Android tablet is because the iphone also continues to charge and after a few minutes the iphone heats up and the display dims to a point at which it is not visible in daylight.

One of the easiest ways is to use a portable battery pack and plug one end in the controller USB ports. This works and it keeps the controller charged. this was the question I posted to Autel " My Galaxy Note 9 charges whenever I plug it in to the USB Micro B on the remote controller and there does not appear to be a way in the phone to stop the charging of the phone and discharging of the remote controller. However I can plug a portable battery pack into the USB A port on the Charger at the same time to keep the remote controller charged and it appears to work. Is there any problem or harm doing this.?"

And this was Autel's Answer "
Great question! I didn't know the answer myself and had to reach out to our engineers. It turns out that's totally fine and often what they do!

Someone said a 'data only 2 wire' cable would work instead of the standard 4 wire cables. I can't find any data only cables so I don't know if this is true.

One of the easiest ways is to use a portable battery pack and plug one end in the controller USB ports. This works and it keeps the controller charged. this was the question I posted to Autel " My Galaxy Note 9 charges whenever I plug it in to the USB Micro B on the remote controller and there does not appear to be a way in the phone to stop the charging of the phone and discharging of the remote controller. However I can plug a portable battery pack into the USB A port on the Charger at the same time to keep the remote controller charged and it appears to work. Is there any problem or harm doing this.?"

And this was Autel's Answer "
Great question! I didn't know the answer myself and had to reach out to our engineers. It turns out that's totally fine and often what they do!

That doesn't sound good. Besides being unwieldy it would not work with many 90 degree USB-A plugs that plug in right next to the Micro USB port. I can't believe such an obvious flaw in this design could have been allowed to go into the second generation Evo. Very poor design or just lazy or too cheap to do it right. At the very least put a battery in the remote large enough to handle it. A complete redesign of the controller is in order.

Someone said a 'data only 2 wire' cable would work instead of the standard 4 wire cables. I can't find any data only cables so I don't know if this is true.
I also could not find a data only cable, but did find some instructions on disconnecting the power leads in a USB cable, which I did. This did not work as the controller does not recognize a device when there is no power connection to it. This did not work. If someone has additional information, please share.

Reactions: Eagle928
Are both components (cell phone and controller) fully charged when you start?
I don't think it matters very much. The controller will likely still charge the phone/tablet thereby discharging quickly. It might be why DJI decided to go with the bigger controller with a bigger battery on their newer drones (Mini 2/Air 2) and probably going forward. It's not a terrible idea but only if the controller has a large enough battery to spare the energy which the current one does not have.

It's not the end of the world though. A power bank can be plugged in to charge the controller between flights if there's time. It might even be possible to plug the drone into the controller to allow the drone battery to charge the controller battery. Of course that would mean less flight time with that battery if it is possible.

If Autel sells a controller for the EVOs with an integrated larger (7"-8") bright screen, the battery in the controller will have to be significantly larger (and heavier). That's OK with me.

Reactions: PingSpike
Just one final question before I return my Tripltek Pro. Why does everyone think this is okay? I am very confused. My iPhone 12 does not draw power from my RC. Instead it uses its own battery. Why does my Tripltek cannibalize my RCs battery? I'm lucky to get 45 minutes of flight time when I start both devices with a full charge. This severely limits my ability to fly larger mapping missions. I love the ruggedness and brightness of the Tripltek, but do they pay people to not mention this fatal flaw online or are others really okay with plugging in extra batteries to supplement a device that brags about a 10,000 mAh battery. Confused to be sure. Thanks for your patient and understanding answers.

Just one final question before I return my Tripltek Pro. Why does everyone think this is okay? I am very confused. My iPhone 12 does not draw power from my RC. Instead it uses its own battery. Why does my Tripltek cannibalize my RCs battery? I'm lucky to get 45 minutes of flight time when I start both devices with a full charge. This severely limits my ability to fly larger mapping missions. I love the ruggedness and brightness of the Tripltek, but do they pay people to not mention this fatal flaw online or are others really okay with plugging in extra batteries to supplement a device that brags about a 10,000 mAh battery. Confused to be sure. Thanks for your patient and understanding answers.
Is your RC's firmware up to date? I think Autel corrected this by making the charging of Android devices a very minuscule amount because they could not turn it off completely.

If you're only getting 45 minutes of fly time with your RC then something is wrong. Contact Autel; not Tripltek.

As I understand, Android devices are set to charge from whatever they are plugged into. I've been told it's a "safety feature", although I cannot understand why.

It's well documented on line. Apparently, there's a way to modify a cable with a resistor to make it take less of a charge. I don't use an Android device, so I don't have more details.

My initial concern was how much battery the Explorer app sucked out of my iPhone...

Is your RC's firmware up to date? I think Autel corrected this by making the charging of Android devices a very minuscule amount because they could not turn it off completely.

If you're only getting 45 minutes of fly time with your RC then something is wrong. Contact Autel; not Tripltek.
Hey thanks for the reply. I'm only getting the 45 minutes when using my Tripletek. I get more than 3.5 hours with my iPhone 12. I will reach out to Autel though. They are pretty good about helping out so far.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials