Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Considering Autel Evo

Adamg1180

Reaction score
Ok guys, I’ve been flying drones for almost 6 years now. I started with the Eflite Blade 350QX, then a DJI Phantom 3S, and now I’m the proud owner of a Yuneec Typhoon H. I’m considering an Autel Evo for my next drone. I’ve got a couple questions that may or may not influence my purchase decision. First, how does the Evo handle wind? How stable is it? What kind of flight times do y’all see (real world use)? Has the horizon tilt been fixed?
Also, I’ve heard and read rumors of an Evo 2 coming out with a 1” sensor to compete with the Mavic 2 pro, does anyone know if there is any truth to this? If so should I wait?
Sorry for all of the questions and thanks in advance.

Adamg...I also just came from a 3 year enjoyment of flying my Typhoon H.
glad I got the EVO instead of the DJI problems.
Had (have ) a DJI Phantom, but haven't flown it in a few years.

Flight times in calm days about 19min before I Hit RTH
Flew today in a brisk wind and had no problems.
When I took off I was amazed how it tilted into the wind and just hoovered 20' OTG.
Flew around inj a zig zag route for 16 minutes no problems, and hit RTH and it always lands
on my 24x24" land pad ! That part always amazes me !

Running latest firmware (Before the Boat Mode upgrade) and I have no tilted horizon.
Also no props in the videos when I tilt down a few degrees.
I got mine just before July 4th ( after a send back problem with the controller handle parting, no biggie)
and have about 25+ flights no problem.
I got the Rugged bundle and I love the case which holds 4 batteries and everything needed for a day trip.
No more Huge bag to haul around !
Video is a lot nicer in color than the Typhoon H, but is a little bit wider angle.

The things I like best is the Size, easier to take places than the Typhoon, and
the Flight distance is a heck of a lot further that the Typhoon H.

One thinjg you will have to get used to is seeing the EVO while flying...
It is a lot smaller footprint in the sky and I loose sight of it very easily.
Also the LED lights on the EVO are smaller and that also makes it harder to see, even a night.
If the lights pointed down under the arms more, it would help.
I plan on getting strobes to put on the arms soon.

Don't know about a EVO 2 coming out, but not to worry, this bird will make you very happy !
Autel also just released a mapping feature to use on third party apps if you are in to surveying..

Things I miss fom the Typhoon H are the panorama feature ( although I used for a while, i didn't see how I would use that feature constructionally.)
When I went to the field to fly, I always got more lookers with the Typhoon H with people asking what it was and How much did it cost, It looked more professional. Not so much with the EVO, seems like just another toy drone.
I really miss the Yuneec Controller, yes it was large, but a real nice all in one to use with out having to put a tablet on the Autel controller.
i LIKED the way I could just let it hang around my neck when doing my pre flight and set up. With the Autel , I have to put the controller on the ground after attaching the tablet, then opening the EVO and turning it on.

Something else with the EVO, Connection to the App and controller takes SECONDS compared to the 1-2 minute wait for the Typhoon.

So far, I am glad I got the EVO instead of the Mavic series !

Sorry I got long winded, but you asked !

Reactions: Adamg1180
...Also watch for the holiday sales from Autel,,,they usually discount the EVO or give extra goodies. I got mine from Carolina Drones and they matched Autel Prices ! No tax and Free shipping, Autel charges tax to states that collect tax fees.
My bundle cost $1149 with the case, 4 batteries, car charger, two extra sets of props, and some other stuff I'll probably never use !
The case with everything in it is about 1/4 the size of the Typhoon H 's backpack with everything in it. Plus a lot less heavy to carry !

Reactions: Adamg1180
Adamg...I also just came from a 3 year enjoyment of flying my Typhoon H.
glad I got the EVO instead of the DJI problems.
Had (have ) a DJI Phantom, but haven't flown it in a few years.

Flight times in calm days about 19min before I Hit RTH
Flew today in a brisk wind and had no problems.
When I took off I was amazed how it tilted into the wind and just hoovered 20' OTG.
Flew around inj a zig zag route for 16 minutes no problems, and hit RTH and it always lands
on my 24x24" land pad ! That part always amazes me !

Running latest firmware (Before the Boat Mode upgrade) and I have no tilted horizon.
Also no props in the videos when I tilt down a few degrees.
I got mine just before July 4th ( after a send back problem with the controller handle parting, no biggie)
and have about 25+ flights no problem.
I got the Rugged bundle and I love the case which holds 4 batteries and everything needed for a day trip.
No more Huge bag to haul around !
Video is a lot nicer in color than the Typhoon H, but is a little bit wider angle.

The things I like best is the Size, easier to take places than the Typhoon, and
the Flight distance is a heck of a lot further that the Typhoon H.

One thinjg you will have to get used to is seeing the EVO while flying...
It is a lot smaller footprint in the sky and I loose sight of it very easily.
Also the LED lights on the EVO are smaller and that also makes it harder to see, even a night.
If the lights pointed down under the arms more, it would help.
I plan on getting strobes to put on the arms soon.

Don't know about a EVO 2 coming out, but not to worry, this bird will make you very happy !
Autel also just released a mapping feature to use on third party apps if you are in to surveying..

Things I miss fom the Typhoon H are the panorama feature ( although I used for a while, i didn't see how I would use that feature constructionally.)
When I went to the field to fly, I always got more lookers with the Typhoon H with people asking what it was and How much did it cost, It looked more professional. Not so much with the EVO, seems like just another toy drone.
I really miss the Yuneec Controller, yes it was large, but a real nice all in one to use with out having to put a tablet on the Autel controller.
i LIKED the way I could just let it hang around my neck when doing my pre flight and set up. With the Autel , I have to put the controller on the ground after attaching the tablet, then opening the EVO and turning it on.

Something else with the EVO, Connection to the App and controller takes SECONDS compared to the 1-2 minute wait for the Typhoon.

So far, I am glad I got the EVO instead of the Mavic series !

Sorry I got long winded, but you asked !

I greatly appreciate your comprehensive answer. I agree with your comments about the Typhoon H. Every time I take mine out I get the same reaction, lots of questions and admiration from the general public. I still fly it on a consistent basis and am not looking to replace it, just want something easier to deploy and smaller form factor for traveling. I do absolutely love the ST16 controller, its one of my favorite features of the model, I do plan to upgrade to the H+ at some point in the future. I'm not one of those distance junkies, I do not fly beyond line of sight and get very anxious if I can not see my drone. I will not go back to DJI after all of the speculation over the data stealing and I also am not impressed with the Yuneec Mantis Q, I just do not understand why they would release a drone without a mechanical 2 or 3 axis gimbal.
So I'm left with the Evo as a great option unless I go with the Fimi or Hubsan, of which are great "beginner" drones but are lacking for the experienced pilot.

" just want something easier to deploy and smaller form factor for traveling "
That is the primary reason I got the EVO...
Another thing I miss with the Typhoon H is the third party apps
Litchi and my favorite was the Flight Log by Helmut Elsner and of Course Tuna's tool box !
The ability to add gauges with Dashware is also not available with the EVO.
Maybe with the release of the SDK those people can give us those featured APPS.

" just want something easier to deploy and smaller form factor for traveling "
That is the primary reason I got the EVO...
Another thing I miss with the Typhoon H is the third party apps
Litchi and my favorite was the Flight Log by Helmut Elsner and of Course Tuna's tool box !
The ability to add gauges with Dashware is also not available with the EVO.
Maybe with the release of the SDK those people can give us those featured APPS.

Yeah, UAVtoolbox is awesome! I havnt tried litchi with my H and TBH I didn’t know it was available.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marshall@DRONE