Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Charger AC adapter is very hot

Len

Reaction score
Is it normal for EVO II charger to get super hot? It gets to around 125F/50C.

All chargers get hot when charging LiPOs. Just make sure not to leave it plugged in overnight.

Reactions: Len
It does sound a tad on the hot side. What is the temp in the room? If your experiencing a heat wave and the house is hot that might not be helping. Has it always run hot? If no I would see what customer support says about it.

It does sound a tad on the hot side. What is the temp in the room? If your experiencing a heat wave and the house is hot that might not be helping. Has it always run hot? If no I would see what customer support says about it.
Room temp is around 79F. Yeah it's always been doing this... A lot hotter than my Mavic Pro charger...

My charger also seems to get very hot, especially when simultaneously charging the controller...I make sure to give it plenty of air flow when using it...

My Evo I charger that came with the replacement makes a buzzing noise and hits 135 f when charging. Not happy with that. And the controller that came with it has the horrible fan that screeches. Suspect they gave me a refurb unit that wasn't tested well. The drone seems OK, but that charger.....

I just tried using it with charging Hub. It's now at 150F/66C

Keep in mind you are running that small brick at maximum power output for a long period of time with no active cooling. It's going to get hot, unless you are just topping off your batteries. Use a Mavic Pro multi-battery charger instead. They work great. Charge 3 batteries AND the RC at the same time, but that will put a great load on the charger, so the most I charge is 3 batteries at once. Aluminum case, small internal fan. Yes the case gets hot, but you want it to, since it should be drawing the heat away from the internals of the charger. Always make sure you have plenty of air flow around the batteries and charger...whatever you use. Excessive heat is never good for chargers or batteries. Slight mod to the charger leads and good to go.
20200613_151947.jpg

• Wow
Is it normal for EVO II charger to get super hot? It gets to around 125F/50C.
My mavic charger gets very hot while charging...I don't know the exact temp but I think you could cook off it :)

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Even my laptop/electric scooter chargers get too hot to touch while in use.

Keep in mind you are running that small brick at maximum power output for a long period of time with no active cooling. It's going to get hot, unless you are just topping off your batteries. Use a Mavic Pro multi-battery charger instead. They work great. Charge 3 batteries AND the RC at the same time, but that will put a great load on the charger, so the most I charge is 3 batteries at once. Aluminum case, small internal fan. Yes the case gets hot, but you want it to, since it should be drawing the heat away from the internals of the charger. Always make sure you have plenty of air flow around the batteries and charger...whatever you use. Excessive heat is never good for chargers or batteries. Slight mod to the charger leads and good to go.
View attachment 7809
How did you mod it to work with Autel batteries?

Just cut the plastic off the ends, leaving one side intact. This allows the connector to stay on the battery when charging. Takes seconds to mod...thats it. Because of the pinouts on the batteries, doesn't matter what side you take out. There are chargers that have 10 pins, and this one has 8. Doesn't matter, the 9 and 10 pins are not used. The charger in the Amazon link above works great. Basically this charger is rebranded in several brand names.

Mavic multi mod for EVO.jpg

Just cut the plastic off the ends, leaving one side intact. This allows the connector to stay on the battery when charging. Takes seconds to mod...thats it. Because of the pinouts on the batteries, doesn't matter what side you take out. There are chargers that have 10 pins, and this one has 8. Doesn't matter, the 9 and 10 pins are not used. The charger in the Amazon link above works great. Basically this charger is rebranded in several brand names.
I just ordered slightly different one (it shows voltage output): Amazon.com: Energen DroneMax MP18A Drone Battery Charger, DJI Mavic Pro Accessories, Intelligent Fast Multi Battery Charging Hub Station (Charge 3 Batteries & 2 USB Ports Simultaneously): Industrial & Scientific

Reactions: parkgt and Quad808
Just make triple sure this charger is for a MAVIC PRO ONLY!! Pinouts for Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom are different and you will fry something. The pinouts on the Mavic Pro batteries are exactly the same as the Evo I and II batteries. Middle 4 pins are +, 2 pins either side are - and outside most pins are unused.
X - - ++++ - - X

Just make triple sure this charger is for a MAVIC PRO ONLY!! Pinouts for Mavic 2 Pro/Zoom are different and you will fry something. The pinouts on the Mavic Pro batteries are exactly the same as the Evo I and II batteries. Middle 4 pins are +, 2 pins either side are - and outside most pins are unused.
X - - ++++ - - X
Thanks, yeah I got that :)

Reactions: Quad808
Success!!! Charges with no issues. I guess it doesn't really communicate with battery so it doesn't care :) This one is a lot nice tho, charger cables are plug-in so in the future they might release different adapters (or I can make them if I can source correct headers)....
I'm returning $90 hub. BTW I tried plugging in hub but it won't physically fit due to plug's strain strain relief thickness....

Attachments

• IMG_4178.JPG
    IMG_4178.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
Reactions: Quad808
Len,
that charger...does it show the current voltage of the battery in the display, or the voltage outputting to the battery from the charger? It would be very useful if it shows the current battery charge, this way you could know exactly the voltage of the battery and easily charge them for storage charge to avoid the battery doing an auto discharge when in the case.

*update*
actually reading the description the charger will show the status of the connected batteries while charging. Dang it Len! Now I have to have one of these chargers!!! ;)

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
newmanvm