Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Cell Tower Interference

MMMike

Reaction score
Hi All, Just bought my Evo used off craigslist and I am so happy with it. This is just my second day flying a real drone (I do have a toy that I fly). But my question is this, I have a hill that I launch from and I want to fly over to a third hill about a mile away. But on the second hill, about half way in between sits a cell tower. From what I've read I dont want to get close to that tower or risk loosing communication or possibly even loose my drone. But I'm wondering what is too close? Right now I'm afraid of getting within a quarter mile of it. What is your experience with cell towers, how much of a hazard are they? Am I correct that I should not even think about going on the other side of that tower?

I would try and keep that 1/4 mile distance from it at all times. My Evo had become unresponsive while hovering about 200 yds from a cell tower. About 8 seconds later +/- it responded to the command I had initialized. I got it back but I won't ever fly that close to one again.

Depending on the tower, it could have stronger signals coming from certain sides of the tower. Especially if it is close to the state line. You can't be too careful. The tower I had issues with is about a 1/2 mile from where I launch from at my mom and dad's house. I have been closer than a 1/4 mile from it since with no issues.

If I were going to fly as you stated, I would go around the tower, staying well away from it.

Reactions: Phillyjon

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonhenkelman