Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Can this forum be considered a Community Based Organization by the FAA?

mshmovie

Reaction score
The FAA's rules state that recreational (non-107, Trust) pilots be able to explain to an FAA inspector or law enforcement officer (if and when required) which CBO’s safety guidelines they are following during any given flight.

Considering this is evolving, and there aren't any CBO guidelines yet:
  1. Could this forum be considered a Community Based Organization?
    1. If so, I'd suggest drafting pragmatic guidelines here and sharing with the other sibling forums.
    2. Who feels this is viable and we can easily draft a pragmatic set of guidelines that reflect hobbyist drone best practices (rather than have them dictated to us)?
  2. Page 11 3.4.3 here ( https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/draft_docs/media/afx/AC_91-57C_Coord_Copy.pdf ) provides the FAA's expectations as to what the FAA expects from CBOs.
    1. This is pasted below for convenience, as follows:

3.4.3 A comprehensive set of safety guidelines may include topics that span beyond the limitations listed at 49 U.S.C. § 44809(a). The FAA encourages, but does not require, CBOs to develop comprehensive sets of safety guidelines to enhance the safety and security of all operations in the NAS and people and property on the ground. For example, a comprehensive set of safety guidelines should cover the measures and practices set forth in paragraph 3.4.3.1 below.

3.4.3.1 General Safety Measures and Practices.

3.4.3.1.1 Recommended Safety Procedures. The FAA recommends that comprehensive safety guidelines should include at least the following topics:

1. The FAA recommends that comprehensive safety guidelines should include at least the following topics: Adequate protections and mitigations to prevent the UAS from causing harm to any person. CBOs should consider addressing how they will mitigate hazards to avoid creating a risk to people who are not flying the aircraft. Safe practices should include: restrictions on flying over people, establishing buffer areas between an aircraft’s planned flightpath and any people in the area, and using restricted access areas for activities such as racing.
  2. Prohibition on modifying UAS and the carriage of hazardous materials or weapons. CBOs should restrict their members from customizing or modifying the aircraft in such a way that creates a danger to the public or the NAS. CBOs should include a statement prohibiting the carriage of hazardous materials or requiring compliance with applicable laws and rules for the carriage of hazardous materials. Refer to 49 CFR parts 171 through 180. CBOs should also remind operators that Federal law prohibits equipping or arming any UAS with a dangerous weapon. See Section 363 of the FAA Reauthorization Act of 2018.
  3. Prohibition on engaging in careless or reckless behavior. Guidelines should include information on avoiding careless or reckless behavior. The FAA recommends including information on the five hazardous attitudes in aeronautical decision making (refer to the Pilot’s Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge, Figure 2-4) and the “Dirty Dozen” human behaviors in aircraft maintenance (refer to https://www.faasafety.gov/files/ gslac/library/documents/2012/Nov/71574/DirtyDozenWeb3.pdf).
  4. Preflight safety. Information on preflight safety includes ensuring that the aircraft, recreational flyer, environment, and location are all appropriate for flight. To mitigate hazards, guidelines should include, as appropriate to the needs of the CBO, preflight assessments, flight planning and hazard identification techniques, and scanning techniques for aircraft and other people entering an area of operation. AC 107-2, Appendix E, Sample Preflight Assessment and Inspection Checklist, provides a detailed example of a preflight checklist that CBOs may be able to adapt for their particular needs.
  5. In-flight safety. Guidelines for in-flight safety should remind recreational flyers to assess the UA’s performance continually; monitor the strength of command and control links; watch for changing weather conditions; and watch for unexpected people or aircraft in the area of operation. Additionally, guidelines should instruct recreational flyers to be familiar with the automated features a UAS may have, and how the UAS would behave when those features are activated. For instance, a return-to-home protocol on a UAS could initiate a straight-line path toward the person flying it that could cross over people or possibly strike an obstacle such as a tree or power lines.
  6. Post-flight safety. Guidelines for post-flight inspection should include encouraging recreational flyers to review the flight to determine whether any unplanned events occurred that presented a risk to the operation. Guidelines should also consider including recommendations for safely securing UA between flights to include removing batteries and protecting fragile parts from wear and tear per the manufacturer’s recommendations.

As always, thank you.

- Marc

Good luck with that. Some years ago there was a group trying the same thing. It was good for a while then never went anywhere. You need large membership. These forums are just peanuts compare to AMA .
They tried but failed big time.
The link does not even work anymore.
http://www.dontflystupid.org/

Reactions: gschulzuio
Good luck with that. Some years ago there was a group trying the same thing. It was good for a while then never went anywhere. You need large membership. These forums are just peanuts compare to AMA .
They tried but failed big time.
The link does not even work anymore.
http://www.dontflystupid.org/
Domains come and go. A CBO need not be the AMA which has clubs with little too no accommodation for quads.

We, adding sibling groups Mavicpilots and SkydioPilots (others too?), certainly exceed the size of a local AMA club.

I want to make a difference and control our destiny before some group that's primarily fixed wing does it for us.

Domains come and go. A CBO need not be the AMA which has clubs with little too no accommodation for quads.

We, adding sibling groups Mavicpilots and SkydioPilots (others too?), certainly exceed the size of a local AMA club.

I want to make a difference and control our destiny before some group that's primarily fixed wing does it for us.
That group was on every drone forum which included all the ones attached to this one, the facebook groups and circulated around the many groups of drone pilots. People were not interested in keeping it going so it just died. You need a lot of people to have a say in this CBO mess. This is why I said good luck. Hope you have more luck then they did. Face it the FAA cannot even decide if they want AMA as a CBO and their organization claims to have over 190000 members.

Reactions: gschulzuio
Face it the FAA cannot even decide if they want AMA as a CBO and their organization claims to have over 190000 members.
found this thread because I was wondering the same, If this site could be considered as a CBO. the "rules" from the OP
explain to an FAA inspector or law enforcement officer (if and when required) which CBO’s safety guidelines they are following during any given flight.

seem to state I as pilot need to "quote the safety rules of a CBO" not join a club, then quote. Is there something I missed?

found this thread because I was wondering the same, If this site could be considered as a CBO. the "rules" from the OP

seem to state I as pilot need to "quote the safety rules of a CBO" not join a club, then quote. Is there something I missed?
To me, it seems like a hole needing to be filled; what CBO? Quote what? Nothing has been established. I'd rather assert reasonable safety rules that we can refer to much in the way one must show how you mitigate cyber security risks.

Why wait when we can just put together a one pager and refer to it?

It would be tough for this forum to be recognized by the FAA as a UAS-related community-based organization because it would first have to be recognized by the IRS as a tax-exempt organization. The law (49 USC 44809) for recreational flyers says:

(h) Community-based Organization Defined.-In this section, the term "community-based organization" means a membership-based association entity that-
(1) is described in section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986;
(2) is exempt from tax under section 501(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986;

Anybody here want to file that application with the IRS?

--JD

Reactions: UasDriver
It would be tough for this forum to be recognized by the FAA as a UAS-related community-based organization because it would first have to be recognized by the IRS as a tax-exempt organization. The law (49 USC 44809) for recreational flyers says:

(h) Community-based Organization Defined.-In this section, the term "community-based organization" means a membership-based association entity that-
(1) is described in section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986;
(2) is exempt from tax under section 501(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986;

Anybody here want to file that application with the IRS?

--JD
That likely takes any hope of control out of our hands.

Well if you live in a rural farming area, there is such thing as a cbo. Probably never will be. Only 2 registered drone pilots within 50 miles of me. The other one is my son. Even local law enforcement has no clue how or what drone laws are.

Well if you live in a rural farming area, there is such thing as a cbo. Probably never will be. Only 2 registered drone pilots within 50 miles of me. The other one is my son. Even local law enforcement has no clue how or what drone laws are.
I'd simply like to have a list of acceptable/pragmatic guidelines on me whenever I fly. I'd image you'd be flying without much concern considering the area is that rural.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kingraja