Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Is this a CBO Recreational application of a drone?

WilsonLR

Reaction score
I am currently a TRUST pilot after configuring and testing an EVO II back in Nov 2021 for a NGO doing geo-mapping outside the US. I liked that drone. Having been away from drones since then, I'm reading and reading trying to come up to speed on current regulations for a new application. This was helpful: FAA Part 107 - Operations Over People January 2022 USA

The organization for a new project is a registered non-profit blog 100% self funded and run 100% by volunteers. There are thousands of subscribers and followers. We blog on quality of life issues in our small city. One of the issues is bike safety. We'd like to take current photos of various intersections/roads in order to analyze and report on how to navigate them safely and identify problems. So in drone parlance, these would be transitory flights over streets, vehicles and pedestrians.

1) Is this a recreational application as a Community Based Organization?
2) Which OOP Category is a Nano + with blade guards?
3) Is an EVO Lite with guards a better choice?

A CBO would not be your organization by the information you have given, it would be a drone or model aircraft type organization that has guidelines governing safe flight.
In my opinion, this would be a Part 107 operation.
All of the blade guards I have seen do not meet the requirements, unless you have something I have not seeen before.
Your guards cannot have your aircraft exceed the 250 gram threshold and with the Evo Nano being 249 grams, this will not work without trimming weight off of the drone.
The Evo Lite is well over the weight limit.
If your flight has to go over the loosley defined open air assembly of people, then you must have Remote ID (which is not yet in effect) so you have that to consider also.

Reactions: gschulzuio
Big Al sums up the OOP rules rather nicely in this thread.

Reactions: gschulzuio
Thanks @jaja6009. It's difficult to sort out. After a day of researching more, I think I now understand CBO and Recreational. I think you are right that the application is probably Part 107. Seems that you can fly "recreationally" but if you do anything with captured footage, you are no longer flying recreationally. I did come across some drone guru types that indicated as long as I'm not hovering or tracking the random cars/pedestrians, the flyover isn't an OOP.

I didn't know about the basic guards not satisfying Category 1-3. What does? Do the Cinewhoops?

Over people isn't defined with any buffer distance. But in my opinion even if your drone never flew directly over a person (Very hard for anyone to ever tell unless theres a crowd or stream of cars), if your drone does fall and hit someone, you will most likely be cited for something.

I'm not sure what tracking random cars has to do with anything. It is fully possible to get images and video in an urban environment without directly flying over someone, but between the wind and momentum, the aircraft can still fall and hit something in such an envisonment.

To meet then standard "Contains no “exposed rotating parts that would lacerate human skin upon impact with a human being”, it seems more like a cage so that even a finger cannot enter and be lacerated.

An do not let others hit you with the claim that you can transition over people. That was a proposed rule that never happened. Big Al's post above explains the current OOP categories and how to meet them.

Also by your own statement "So in drone parlance, these would be transitory flights over streets, vehicles and pedestrians." it seems like you will be flying over people or moving cars and without a waiver or meeting the OOP you would be in non-compliance.

I am currently a TRUST pilot after configuring and testing an EVO II back in Nov 2021 for a NGO doing geo-mapping outside the US. I liked that drone. Having been away from drones since then, I'm reading and reading trying to come up to speed on current regulations for a new application. This was helpful: FAA Part 107 - Operations Over People January 2022 USA

The organization for a new project is a registered non-profit blog 100% self funded and run 100% by volunteers. There are thousands of subscribers and followers. We blog on quality of life issues in our small city. One of the issues is bike safety. We'd like to take current photos of various intersections/roads in order to analyze and report on how to navigate them safely and identify problems. So in drone parlance, these would be transitory flights over streets, vehicles and pedestrians.

1) Is this a recreational application as a Community Based Organization?
What you are describing for use case moves you from hobby/recreational (e.g. 44809) which falls under TRUST/CBO based guidelines into part 107 territory. Keep in mind that 107 is not tied to earning money, its a broader focus that covers beyond the hobby/recreational "carve out". In other words, if you are not flying just for hobby/recreational e.g. for fun, then you move out of the "carve out" which would put you under part 107 (if your aircraft is under 55 pounds) in the US. As per flight operations, you can pass over streets, roads, however if operating over people and moving vehicles, then you need to compliant with those rules.

2) Which OOP Category is a Nano + with blade guards?
Category none, a Nano+ with prop guards/cage would move it up over the weight limit of category 1 (same thing applies to DJI Mavic Minis) as the combined weight is above the limit.
3) Is an EVO Lite with guards a better choice?
To meet category 1 you would have to be under the weight limit (aircraft and prop guards).

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy