Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Camera cuts out when battery is cold?

WildDoktor

Reaction score
Is this normal? I had about a 30 minute window to fly the other day, and wanted to get some shots / video of my friend's mom's house so they could blow up the best of the pics and frame it. It was about 50f outside, and for the first 12 minutes of flying (even after hovering at low level for a few minutes) the "cold battery" warning was constantly popping up, and every time I tried to start a video the video would stop after a second or two. Snapping photos would take about a minute (single jpg photos, not complicated 7 frame raw hdr's!). From about 13 to 18 minutes I finally got a few minutes worth of video and a few photos that didn't turn out very well because I was so frustrated by that time that I wasn't thinking too clearly.

So...is this normal? Have you experienced this?

If I'd had time to put another battery in would it have done the same thing? I'm assuming that even though the XSP innards would be warm by then, the new battery wouldn't be warm.

Frustrating!

I flew all winter long with temps below 0 and got that warning all the time. Never had a problem with video cutting out or photos taking any longer then normal.

Camera issues could be micro-SD card related?

That battery warning is definitely weird though...would be worth trying again in the same temperature/same card/same battery and see if you can replicate the issue. Then land and try swapping the battery, then card, and see what happens. Good luck!

I decided to email Autel; their response was impressively quick. They said "The battery not warmed up would cause delays or slowness in functionality. I would test it again when its warmer and see how it does!"

So, I'll hopefully give it a whirl this evening. If it's still happening I'll format the SD card and see if that helps.

Reactions: brian bwin
I decided to email Autel; their response was impressively quick. They said "The battery not warmed up would cause delays or slowness in functionality. I would test it again when its warmer and see how it does!"

So, I'll hopefully give it a whirl this evening. If it's still happening I'll format the SD card and see if that helps.

I would suggest remove and reseat gimbal to craft, use some contact cleaner, DeOxit or similar if you have it. I've never received the cold battery warning but have had video recording problems and cleaning the contacts solved the problem.

No worries; just tossed her up in the air for a battery's worth of evening flying and all is well. Video kept video-ing, and snapshots took the "normal" amount of time (although they still takes too long in my opinion; 2-3 seconds seems a bit much, but I guess I'm used to my cell phone!).

Onward!

?
No worries; just tossed her up in the air for a battery's worth of evening flying and all is well. Video kept video-ing, and snapshots took the "normal" amount of time (although they still takes too long in my opinion; 2-3 seconds seems a bit much, but I guess I'm used to my cell phone!).

Onward!
Is this normal? I had about a 30 minute window to fly the other day, and wanted to get some shots / video of my friend's mom's house so they could blow up the best of the pics and frame it. It was about 50f outside, and for the first 12 minutes of flying (even after hovering at low level for a few minutes) the "cold battery" warning was constantly popping up, and every time I tried to start a video the video would stop after a second or two. Snapping photos would take about a minute (single jpg photos, not complicated 7 frame raw hdr's!). From about 13 to 18 minutes I finally got a few minutes worth of video and a few photos that didn't turn out very well because I was so frustrated by that time that I wasn't thinking too clearly.

So...is this normal? Have you experienced this?

If I'd had time to put another battery in would it have done the same thing? I'm assuming that even though the XSP innards would be warm by then, the new battery wouldn't be warm.

Frustrating!
For what ever it's worth, I had the same event happen after shooting for 10 min. For what ever reason the video would only shoot for 30 sec. then go off line. Contacts were clean, battery was not cold. Again, I was in the air for at least 10 min. before the video stopped working.

I was in the air 10+ min., shooting.( 3 min. Bursts), lasting approx. 8 min. Before the camera began shutting down. Just had the settings on std. Mode

That is a bit too long. Are you in AEB mode or filming large Raw files. Could this could be your latency issue?

Yeah, I agree that's too long. Just shooting in single jpg mode...I learned early on that RAW would take 15 to 20 seconds per photo, so stopped doing that! It may be my SD card; I'm going to format it and see if that helps, and if not grab a different one and see if it's any faster. Can't remember exactly what speed the card is, so that may be a factor as well.

Yeah, I agree that's too long. Just shooting in single jpg mode...I learned early on that RAW would take 15 to 20 seconds per photo, so stopped doing that! It may be my SD card; I'm going to format it and see if that helps, and if not grab a different one and see if it's any faster. Can't remember exactly what speed the card is, so that may be a factor as well.

I have had real good success with SanDisk. Specifically this one. It is fast. Even when I read 4K from it - never hiccups.IMG_7476.jpg

I have had real good success with SanDisk. Specifically this one. It is fast. Even when I read 4K from it - never hiccups.View attachment 507
I'm using a SanDisk Ultra XC I C10 card (this one); probably the one that came with the drone. I'll time some different types of shots and then format it and time the same shots again; see if it makes a difference.

Reactions: DroneDriver
Ok, just did some testing, and sure enough, a format of the SD card helps tremendously. Before, single jpg photos took about 2.5 seconds to complete; sometimes a bit longer. After the format, they take less than a second pretty consistently.

Interestingly, AEB and Burst photos take about the same amount of time before and after; small enough that I couldn't really measure the difference. Maybe a quarter of a second faster after the format.

RAW photos are about a second faster after the format.

So, like Delta Blue, I believe I will be formatting my card before each flight. Good insurance, and one less thing to nag at me once I'm in the air.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Yeah this happened a few days ago to me, first time that happened. The first battery I had in was fine, when I put a fresh one in I got the low temp warning. It took about 45 seconds to finally read "Safe to fly"
It was breezy and the temp was in the upper 50's...oddly cold around here lately.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials