Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Camera Barrel Distortion

LeafPeeper

Reaction score
So the main reason I bought the Evo a few weeks ago was because I have always been enamored with it's camera. I LOVE the dynamic range and color science when compared to my DJI drones. I don't exactly know why, but I just find the Evo video more pleasing to my eye. That said, for stills, my DJI drones still win. There's a bit of barrel distortion that I don't like with the Evo cam, whenever the horizon approaches the top or bottom of the frame. I've noticed this in other people's shots as well as with the two Evos I've had my hands on (had to return the first one), so I'm comfortable that it's wide angle/FOV distortion and not a defective cam. I can fix it in post, but it does take a bit of time and tweaking. Has anyone come across any profiles for Photoshop or other software to automatically remove it based on preset lens parms, or do you all just do it manually?

LP

Have you tried one of the DJI profiles? I am guessing you would have to find one that is very close to the FOV that the EVO is using to make it work. 4 or 5 years ago one of the fellows reached out to Adobe to come up with a profile for the Yuneec CGO3 camera. Not sure who you would contact but they responded about two weeks later with a correct profile for that camera. Contacting them might be a option also.

I did try a few of the DJI profiles, and the one that came closest was the Spark (minimized the dip in the center created by trying to raise the edges), but it wasn't perfect. I also had to lie about the FOV significantly to get it to look close. Manual tweaking got me further. I think I'll have to play around and see if I can find some settings that work all the time....might be as close as I'll get. Either that, or I'll just use my DJI drones when I want to take stills.

LP

I have not played around with making my own profiles in a long time but once you are happy with one you can save them for later use or at least that was the way it was a few years ago.

I don't actually use Photoshop....I can't stand the subscription model, and even if they still offer a one time purchase version, it's way overpriced if you ask me. I use mostly freeware and Corel - which offer similar features, but sometimes not as clean or intuitive. I'm going to keep working at it...

LP

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
A lot of people use a program called RawTherapee as a substitute for lightroom. I know you can add lens profiles to it also but you would have to look it up on youtube to see how it is done.

Reactions: LeafPeeper
A lot of people use a program called RawTherapee as a substitute for lightroom. I know you can add lens profiles to it also but you would have to look it up on youtube to see how it is done.

Thanks! I'll take a look!
LP

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JDEAZA