Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Buy a new Evo1 or a used Evo2?

LeoJR

Reaction score
I have a hard $1,000 budget. (Excluding taxes, etc.) Should I buy a new Evo1 with full knowledge of its whereabouts and history or watch for a deal on an Evo2 that someone purchased but doesn't use like they thought they would?
Many thanks!
Edited to update: I bought a used Mavic 2 Pro. Flew it for a couple of weeks and learned that I really like this level of camera and its gimbal. I just sold it. Will add a few dollars to my budget, and unless I find a deal that I can't refuse on a used E2P, I'll order the basic E2P bundle. One battery is sufficient for me for now. Thanks for the very helpful responses below!!

Last edited:
Support for the Evo 1 has ended for the most part so if that is important to you then the Evo 2 is your best bet. Your budget is a little low but you might find a good deal. I have one for sale in the classifieds.

Reactions: herein2021
I 100% agree with @Eagle928 I'd estimate within less than a yr you won't be able to buy batteries for the EVO I. If your budget is that fixed the DJI Mini 2 might be the better option. After batteries, case, memory cards, and a tablet, the Mini 2 might be right at $1000.00

Support for the Evo 1 has ended for the most part so if that is important to you then the Evo 2 is your best bet.

In a different hobby, half of the new price was norm for items if good condition as there was no warranty or factory support that came with the purchased item.
Is Autel's factory warranty valid even if I am not the purchaser of record?
And, what is their warranty?

Many thanks for your patience with my questions! (I am very new to all of this.)

In a different hobby, half of the new price was norm for items if good condition as there was no warranty or factory support that came with the purchased item.
Is Autel's factory warranty valid even if I am not the purchaser of record?
And, what is their warranty?

Many thanks for your patience with my questions! (I am very new to all of this.)
I don't have the answers you seek. Instead; let me refer you to Autel Robotics; the division of Autel that makes the Evo drones. You will notice there is no mention of the Evo 1 anymore; only the Evo 2. Although new batteries are still available. The Evo 1 has met its lifecycle requirements from their point of view.

For more info I suggest you call them directly. They are in the USA (Washington State) and usually answer their phones during normal business hours in their time zone (PST). They may say they have limited warranty service on the Evo 1 until X date.

I'm surprised no one scooped up the E2 I have for sale. I paid $1850 for the same thing plus a second battery which goes for around $200ish. That's a $400 savings. Oh well. Someone will get a good deal. Maybe when the new stimulus checks get sent out.

I'm surprised no one scooped up the E2 I have for sale. I paid $1850 for the same thing plus a second battery which goes for around $200ish. That's a $400 savings. Oh well. Someone will get a good deal. Maybe when the new stimulus checks get sent out.
That is a good deal on an E2 Pro...I have a friend who saw my E2 8k and got really excited. He may be in the market soon!

That is a good deal on an E2 Pro...I have a friend who saw my E2 8k and got really excited. He may be in the market soon!
I honestly would rather keep it as a back up but i find it hard to justify letting it sit since the primary Evo 2 is really dependable with a couple of quirks I've gotten used to.

I have to remind myself these are complex robotic computers that fly plus they are remote controlled; sometimes from a significant distance. Not simple machines and definitely not toys.

I can only imagine what they will be like in just 10 years. I bet my imagination doesn't even come close. They will more likely be like nothing I can imagine today. I do worry about over regulation by the bureaucrats and the stupidity of some idjits doing stupid drone antics things though. Like the 70 people who flew drones within the no-fly zone around the Superbowl. Two of which were licensed 107 pilots who knew better and did it anyway.

But the one for sale was bought used? Not really fair to compare it to the one purchased new, especially if selling it to a third buyer.

This also speaks to my issue with most people's pricing thought process.; "I paid %100 so it must be worth most of its retail value." I believe this is why most items don't sell until the price gets to about %50 of the retail price.

I will call Autel and ask them about how/if the warranty transfers with the unit.

A Mini2 or other Mavic bird is a consideration but I'd prefer the lack of native geofencing. My reason is simple and not nefarious. 70 idiots flew drones at the superbowl? SMDH

I greatly appreciate everyone's input!

But the one for sale was bought used? Not really fair to compare it to the one purchased new, especially if selling it to a third buyer.

This also speaks to my issue with most people's pricing thought process.; "I paid %100 so it must be worth most of its retail value." I believe this is why most items don't sell until the price gets to about %50 of the retail price.

I will call Autel and ask them about how/if the warranty transfers with the unit.

A Mini2 or other Mavic bird is a consideration but I'd prefer the lack of native geofencing. My reason is simple and not nefarious. 70 idiots flew drones at the superbowl? SMDH

I greatly appreciate everyone's input!
I see your point but comparing drones to every other sale item just doesn't work in the real world. Mavic 2 Pro's are selling on ebay that have 2 years of use on them for $1200+. Yes; the one I'm selling is used but with 30-60 minutes of use. It would be like buying a 2020 model car with 20 miles on it. Still new for all practical purposes. It's not a linear comparison between products.

If you live/fly in a non heavily geofenced area I would look at the Mavic Air 2. As others have said you won't be able to buy new batteries for the EVO. I had three go bad in a little over a year with about 35 charges on them. Autel sold me a couple refurbs. Once they die I will be done with Autel.

I 100% agree with @Eagle928 I'd estimate within less than a yr you won't be able to buy batteries for the EVO I. If your budget is that fixed the DJI Mini 2 might be the better option. After batteries, case, memory cards, and a tablet, the Mini 2 might be right at $1000.00

Picked up 2 at my local BestBuy yesterday. They had them hanging there, so I grabbed them. Have a total of 5 now so I should be good.

Reactions: herein2021

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo