Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Best Buy bound

spankmonite

Reaction score
Hi guys, just purchased the Evo this past Friday. Out of the box every thing was flawless. Took it up for a test flight which lasted less that ten minutes. Later it notifies me of firmware update. I follow the instructions to the letter. Update successful with all green lights. Boot up and less than a minute after turning on the craft it loses connection with the controller. I tried the pairing button but it stays solid green. I called Autel support and they tell me there was a problem with the update even though everything was successful. After about three hours of trying I finally score another “successful” update. Less than thirty seconds later the controller loses connection again. Also the controller fan sounds like it’s spinning out of control. This is the same problem I had with the Spark last year. This junk is gonna cost me $150 bucks to return.

Last edited:
I thought exchanges where free and only restocking costs you money if you are not a premium member?
Why not just exchange it?

I thought exchanges where free and only restocking costs you money if you are not a premium member?
Why not just exchange it?
That will be my first choice but I still believe there is a 15% restocking fee for anything that has been opened.

Send it to Autel for repairs and it will be free.
Maybe I'll sleep on it for a few more days. Im just super frustrated. I really did not want to update firmware. If it ain't broke it doesn't need fixing, you know. I felt that if I didn't and there was a problem I would be blamed for it.

Reactions: Drgnfli
Maybe I'll sleep on it for a few more days. Im just super frustrated. I really did not want to update firmware. If it ain't broke it doesn't need fixing, you know. I felt that if I didn't and there was a problem I would be blamed for it.
I returned a EVO to Best Buy for exchange due to a defective unit. There was no restock fee. If I had returned it because I just didn't like it, there would have been a restock fee that you mention $150.00. Call BB to verify.

Reactions: spankmonite
Well just for the heck of it before I boxed it up I thought I'd give it another shot. Powered up the unit and it paired then it immediately started updating firmware again. It made it as far as 57% and the controller lost connection and it froze. I powered the unit down rebooted and it started the firmware update for the second time, this time it made it to 100% with all green lights again when I rebooted it this time is stayed connected for about 5 minutes and I shut the unit off. After a while I rebooted it again lost connection in about 30 seconds. I just don't get the inconsistency.

I returned a EVO to Best Buy for exchange due to a defective unit. There was no restock fee. If I had returned it because I just didn't like it, there would have been a restock fee that you mention $150.00. Call BB to verify.
Thanks for the info. I really do like the EVO. Not interested in a refund I just want it to stay connected as it should.

To me it sounds like the firmware didn't quite finish in either the drone or controller. As it reads the data, a mismatch occurs and disconnects. Are you doing your update via OTA or SD card?

Thanks for the info. I really do like the EVO. Not interested in a refund I just want it to stay connected as it should.
I had a few problems also when I got mine 2 weeks ago,
and returned it.
The Evo two is coming out, I thought wait a minute here
only a few bucks more i'll get a Complete Beast.
The Beast has a completely different Firmware,
let a lone a better Drone, than the One, and more flying time.

To me it sounds like the firmware didn't quite finish in either the drone or controller. As it reads the data, a mismatch occurs and disconnects. Are you doing your update via OTA or SD card?
OTA Twice and SD card three times

I had a few problems also when I got mine 2 weeks ago,
and returned it.
The Evo two is coming out, I thought wait a minute here
only a few bucks more i'll get a Complete Beast.
The Beast has a completely different Firmware,
let a lone a better Drone, than the One, and more flying time.
That few bucks is looking like $750

Reactions: pelagic_one
Sorry to hear about your EVO problem, I purchased one early Feb2020, all updates took, the first flight was really good except controller needed calibration, after calibration, next days flight was really good. Then the power started dropping quickly (easy flying) GO HOME alert, activated GO HOME, just stayed hovering no controls except to increase altitude. Ran out of power and that was the end. I'm not new to flying have other drones, RC planes, etc... Not impressed with AUTEL CS or Techs. I eventually was going to purchase the EVO2 Duel. Fly safe

That few bucks is looking like $750
I bought the Evo1 bundle at amazon for 1068.00 sent that
back. Now going to add 427.00 to get the EvO2
I think it's a lot better deal . Evo1 just didn't feel right,
with the problems I had Right out of the box.
david

Then go to Best Buy and get it exchanged. You shouldn't be charged for that. It's not your fault it came faulty. You aren't returning the device, just exchanging it.
Sorry to hear about your EVO problem, I purchased one early Feb2020, all updates took, the first flight was really good except controller needed calibration, after calibration, next days flight was really good. Then the power started dropping quickly (easy flying) GO HOME alert, activated GO HOME, just stayed hovering no controls except to increase altitude. Ran out of power and that was the end. I'm not new to flying have other drones, RC planes, etc... Not impressed with AUTEL CS or Techs. I eventually was going to purchase the EVO2 Duel. Fly safe
Well I just left Best Buy and I have a new Bird and the exchange went smoothly. I really hate to update this one but we'llsee how it goes tomorrow God willing.

Well I just left Best Buy and I have a new Bird and the exchange went smoothly. I really hate to update this one but we'llsee how it goes tomorrow God willing.
Glad it worked out. I would take the opportunity to update it now. If it breaks as well, you still can exchange it.

Glad it worked out. I would take the opportunity to update it now. If it breaks as well, you still can exchange it.
Good News!!! I charged up the Evo battery and controller last night. The controller would never go past 92% and a battery took a hundred percent charged. There was something definitely wrong with the last controller I had, at least the fan for sure cuz this one was quiet and the other one made a buzzing sound like a bee was trapped inside with a loud a high pitch whine. It made this sound even while unplugged. It also kept telling me video signal was weak even though I was standing right next to the drone. This time I took it outside, immediately I got the firmware update notification so I did. after that completed I calibrated compass and took it straight up just to see if I had any problems. A few minutes later took it to an open area. It was pretty windy but the bird was solid I am very pleased!?

Good News!!! I charged up the Evo battery and controller last night. The controller would never go past 92% and a battery took a hundred percent charged. There was something definitely wrong with the last controller I had, at least the fan for sure cuz this one was quiet and the other one made a buzzing sound like a bee was trapped inside with a loud a high pitch whine. It made this sound even while unplugged. It also kept telling me video signal was weak even though I was standing right next to the drone. This time I took it outside, immediately I got the firmware update notification so I did. after that completed I calibrated compass and took it straight up just to see if I had any problems. A few minutes later took it to an open area. It was pretty windy but the bird was solid I am very pleased!?
Nice, enjoy.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GLOBODRONE