Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Battery

And you have the balance plug connected on your picture, so isn't that a potential issue?

I work for a battery company and work with medical device batteries in particular.

I'd sure HOPE my batteries arrived with a few cycles on them!

You want one cycle from the factory at least, to ensure it passes all the Quality Assurance tests. We usually cycle each battery 3 times and average the capacity and voltage results. If a battery is going to fail, this is when it likely will. You WANT a battery you know has been proven reliable.

Also, Li-ion batteries will self-discharge over time. If they discharge too much, they can be permanently damaged. So a responsible inventory manager will test samples of the stock and give them a boost charge if they are too low in voltage. It's healthier to exercise a battery once in a while.

I have zero problems receiving a battery with 3-5 cycles on them, it shows that Autel is employing industry standard best practices.

So..... I'm guessing when using an aftermarket charger, you turn the battery on when charging it. I'm not looking right now, but, think I remember reading that the charge voltage for these batteries is something around 16.7v. Is this correct? Do you charge on a lipo setting, or pb setting? I'm guessing pb. And, with the battery turned on, how do you know when it's charged. Sorry.... just figuring it's better to ask stupid questions, than destroy a $100 battery out of stupidity.

I use my aftermarket charger on the lipo setting. Of course you cannot use a balance setting. Yes the battery has to be turned on. When fully charged it turns off like normal. The smart part of the battery will not allow it to over charge.

I use my aftermarket charger on the lipo setting. Of course you cannot use a balance setting. Yes the battery has to be turned on. When fully charged it turns off like normal. The smart part of the battery will not allow it to over charge.
How about the voltage applied?

All you are doing is applying 12 volts till it reaches the desired voltage from my understanding
Just wondering, cuz the Autel charger transformer says it outputs 16.8v @ 5.7 amps. Not sure what the charging head does beyond that.

The battery is just a 4S battery. Each cell takes up to 4.2 volts when new. They will add up to the 16.8Vs.
On the side of your battery it is marked 14.8 volts and that is the setting I use on my after marked charger no matter which 4S battery I might be charging.
20171007_100632.jpg

Will it void a warranty if charged with anything other than the factory charger?

So when folks send a unit back for warranty work, they send it without any batteries?

Apologies Agustine, let me try that again please.

I see from one of the photos that you use a non-aurel charger, at least in that application. Why do you use it, and not the one supplied? Is the one supplied not sufficient? What benefits are gained from using what you use, that are not available with the stock charger? If it is something that will benefit me, I will consider getting one myself for sure. Many of you are much more advanced with this than I, and I would like to have what will get me maximum performance, longevity, and information without damaging anything.

To my original question. Do they request that everything is sent in when warranty work is done; RC, drone, batteries, etc? I'm guessing that it was engineered and packaged as a "system", and the warranty is void if the "system" is not used as such..I don't know? Example: If I take the stock stereo out of my new car and put a different one in, my stock stereo is now not in warranty, but the rest of my car still is. I'm wondering what Autel's approach is?

I am still in the warranty period of my drone. Having said that, is there any way of Autel gathering information from the drone itself, or any other component, that alerts them that a charger other than the stock charger was used? Can they gather information from any one part of the "system" and tell if another part of that "system" was not used as a whole, possibly voiding the "entire" warranty because it was not used as they prescribed?

As I said, I'm simply curious? But the truth be known, my defenses are always on high alert for new and complex ways companies can possibly stick it to me. Not the best outlook on things for sure, but it seems to be the direction companies go anymore.

Sorry for the rant guys!!

I would say no they cannot tell. Voltage is just that, voltage. It does not matter where it came from. Now the advantages of a aftermarket charger are few. I can only think of one advantage for charging is if you want to charge more than one battery at a time. My little charger can only do one battery at a time unless I run a charging board but its not worth it. A charger like the HITEC X2 AC PLUS DUAL CHARGER, AC/DC HIGH OUTPUT would be great for charging two batteries.
Now why I say advantages of charging with a aftermarket charger is few is this. I have found the supplied charger charges just as fast. The one thing the supplied charger can't do is discharge which my aftermarket charger does very well. Winters around here are well below freezing and I don't like going outside to run down batteries for storage so I will use the aftermarket charger to get the job done.

Do they ask for everything back I do not know. I have seen where people have trouble with the controller and that's all they wanted back. I guess each case is different.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials