Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Battery Storage

It's what you set it at in the APP. At least that's the way it is on the XSP. I can't see it being any different and I'd bet you a dollar it's in the manual.

Care to do an experiment for your interwebz friend Ansia? :D
The temperature got to almost 50 degrees Fahrenheit and I got my fully charged Evo and set sail! Lol
I flew 2 batteries( one down to 20% and the other to 60%) out over unfamiliar territory. I went back to the house and started a deep discharge of my two batteries. Here's what I came up with.

The Evo auto lands at a certain voltage and it seems to be 10.6 volts which ended up being 13%. The Evo simply didn't have enough power to stay in the air, no matter what I did with the left stick. It was cold as in 37 degrees when I done the experiment. Last time it was 80 degrees Fahrenheit and the Evo flies to 8%.

Reactions: Ansia
The temperature got to almost 50 degrees Fahrenheit and I got my fully charged Evo and set sail! Lol
I flew 2 batteries( one down to 20% and the other to 60%) out over unfamiliar territory. I went back to the house and started a deep discharge of my two batteries. Here's what I came up with.

The Evo auto lands at a certain voltage and it seems to be 10.6 volts which ended up being 13%. The Evo simply didn't have enough power to stay in the air, no matter what I did with the left stick. It was cold as in 37 degrees when I done the experiment. Last time it was 80 degrees Fahrenheit and the Evo flies to 8%.
Thank you. This is good and useful information.

Not to be abrasive, just remember reading the manuals that are accessible online will answer most questions regarding batteries. We can set various parameters for the batteries or retain factory settings. All this is in the two manuals that are available. Personally, I printed them both and read or refer to them on a continuing basis. No question is dumb sometimes answers are.

At what percentage does it reach the 3 volts per cell? 10% or closer to 2%?
Here is the average the App shows for a new battery: 3.6V=20%, 3.5V=10%, 3.35V=0%. The software will force you to land before it gets to its 0%.

Reactions: truesword
Im guessing your not using the Explorere App. The batteries automatically discharge to a 55% ~60% storage level after a few days of not being used. This few days (1~10) is adjustable in the App.

Reactions: truesword
Im guessing your not using the Explorere App. The batteries automatically discharge to a 55% ~60% storage level after a few days of not being used. This few days (1~10) is adjustable in the App.
I'm still saving up for my EVO. For now I fly a Phantom and a Tello. I joined this forums to learn about the EVO, before I got mine. This brings me to my next question. What other app can be used, besides the Explorer app?

Remember about storing batteries. They will self discharge to the storage voltage if put away on a higher charge. Smart batteries, are, well...smart.
After flying, and battery cool down, I charge them back up and put away. Not quite full charge. This is better than putting them away at 50% charge.
Storage charge for batteries is 3.8v per cell, thats 90% of 4.2v

Reactions: truesword and Ansia
Right now the only app that can be used on the EVO is the explorer app. I spoke with Autel last week regarding mapping and I was told they are discussing with several companies like Pix4D and others regarding the SDK and mapping functions. They also mentioned they plan on including 1). Continuous movement option between waypoints instead of stopping at each one, and 2). A mapping grid placement and adjustment with the next firmware release. Also the 4 battery charger showcased at CES 2019 should also be released soon in the first quarter of the year.

Right now the only app that can be used on the EVO is the explorer app. I spoke with Autel last week regarding mapping and I was told they are discussing with several companies like Pix4D and others regarding the SDK and mapping functions. They also mentioned they plan on including 1). Continuous movement option between waypoints instead of stopping at each one, and 2). A mapping grid placement and adjustment with the next firmware release. Also the 4 battery charger showcased at CES 2019 should also be released soon in the first quarter of the year.
I use Pux4D on my Phantom. Thinking of switching to the more economical Drone Deploy though.

Remember about storing batteries. They will self discharge to the storage voltage if put away on a higher charge. Smart batteries, are, well...smart.
After flying, and battery cool down, I charge them back up and put away. Not quite full charge. This is better than putting them away at 50% charge.
Storage charge for batteries is 3.8v per cell, thats 90% of 4.2v

Hi Quad.

Quick question... I understand the 'smart battery' functionality in that the battery will 'self deplete/discharge' according to user-settings. I'd like to understand what your procedure is for storing batteries at the 'not quite fully' charged state.

Do you simply unplug the charge lead and at what interval would you do this IF you do it this way?

Cheers.

I'm still saving up for my EVO. For now I fly a Phantom and a Tello. I joined this forums to learn about the EVO, before I got mine. This brings me to my next question. What other app can be used, besides the Explorer app?
At this time, none that I know of.

Hi Quad.

Quick question... I understand the 'smart battery' functionality in that the battery will 'self deplete/discharge' according to user-settings. I'd like to understand what your procedure is for storing batteries at the 'not quite fully' charged state.

Do you simply unplug the charge lead and at what interval would you do this IF you do it this way?

Cheers.
If you plan to store the battery, I would say the best way is to set the time until discharge to 1 day. Then fully charge the battery, disconnect it from the charger and let the auto discharge process take it to storage level. Don't put the battery back in the drone. I've experienced problems with the auto discharge while the battery is in the drone.

Reactions: Quad808
If you plan to store the battery, I would say the best way is to set the time until discharge to 1 day. Then fully charge the battery, disconnect it from the charger and let the auto discharge process take it to storage level. Don't put the battery back in the drone. I've experienced problems with the auto discharge while the battery is in the drone.
Totally agree with this way of taking care of your batteries. You can store lipos at storage voltage for a long time with minimal harm.

That's interesting Quad...
I had an 'experience' with the evo last weekend. I have my batteries to self-discharge 6 days after non-use however, being a newbie with this unit it was in the back of my mind but I was thinking I'd 'get in' before the self self discharge started. Got the craft in the air then noticed about 3 minutes in the battery level was showing 50% about 10 minutes later my flight experience ended. The battery seemed to deplete very quickly while in flight.

Put in the next battery and the same thing happened.

I had an 'experience' with the evo last weekend. I have my batteries to self-discharge 6 days after non-use however, being a newbie with this unit it was in the back of my mind but I was thinking I'd 'get in' before the self self discharge started. Got the craft in the air then noticed about 3 minutes in the battery level was showing 50% about 10 minutes later my flight experience ended. The battery seemed to deplete very quickly while in flight.

I always put the battery on the charger, even if I am going for a short flight and can use a 50% battery. If it is stored, or even if I know I charged it the day before, I will still put it on the charger to charge, even if only for a few minutes.

Edit to my earlier post. All above was said after auto land was in process. I kept it hovering, overriding auto land until it landed regardless of left stick position.

What was the temperature outside? If it was very cold, that would explain the short battery life. Especially if the batteries were also cold

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo