Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Battery Storage

swings16

Reaction score
I recently bout The EVO...WITH 3 batteries...have not flown yet but i am wondering what the battery level should be when it is being stored ( for a week or more )...I also Fly a Mavic pro and i recently found that a good point to store their batteries is at 50%...does this jive with the EVO battery ?

Thanks in advance for any info about this question..would the same apply being (i assume) similar type batteries ?

Use the same measures that you do for the Mavic. Both batteries are very similar.

Thank you Ansia...i was figuring that it would be similar but i wanted to double check..I appreciate you taking the time to answer...as a result i will charge as recommended ..if only i had a day that is Flyable...Thanks...Martin

Reactions: Ansia
There are several threads on here about battery storage and preferred voltage. Do not store a battery fully charged unless you plan to use it within a couple of days. I check my batteries every week and if they need a topping off, i will generally charge them for 7 minutes to bring them back up to the proper voltage.

Last edited:
Thanks fellas...great info...sadly i am lucky to fly once a week or less...my battery sits unused for weeks and i want to make sure i am doing the best thing for a long battery life

I'm lazy, so when I know I won't fly for a long time, I just turn my drone on and let it hover in my living room until 50%, then put them away. Every 15 charge cycles I do the same but depleting the whole battery. It makes the apartment noisy, but it beats having to go down 20 floors, set everything up and annoying the neighbors. :p

In the EVO manual under Battery Safety there is a section on Battery Storage. It says not to let the voltage drop below 3 volts.
3Volts per cell... Which is 9 volts. This shouldn't ever happen during flight. The Evo will land somewhere before that happens. But the batteries will very slowly discharge over time during storage.

3Volts per cell... Which is 9 volts. This shouldn't ever happen during flight. The Evo will land somewhere before that happens. But the batteries will very slowly discharge over time during storage.
At what percentage does it reach the 3 volts per cell? 10% or closer to 2%?

I'm lazy, so when I know I won't fly for a long time, I just turn my drone on and let it hover in my living room until 50%, then put them away. Every 15 charge cycles I do the same but depleting the whole battery. It makes the apartment noisy, but it beats having to go down 20 floors, set everything up and annoying the neighbors. :p

i tried that (just for fun with my Mavic) i had it hovering and it drifted into my entertainment center..TV/VCR etc.)...broke a prop and bruised my finger...i will never do that again..i wanted to go into TRIPOD mode,but oddly you can only use that mode once you are up + flying..it can not be set before flight..SO,in the time between me starting it and before i got it into TRIPOD mode...my MP crashed and injured me (slightly)..I will never make that mistake again..Does the EVO have a similar mode ? Can it be set BEFORE flight ? Thanks All...Martin..NYC

i tried that (just for fun with my Mavic) i had it hovering and it drifted into my entertainment center..TV/VCR etc.)...broke a prop and bruised my finger...i will never do that again..i wanted to go into TRIPOD mode,but oddly you can only use that mode once you are up + flying..it can not be set before flight..SO,in the time between me starting it and before i got it into TRIPOD mode...my MP crashed and injured me (slightly)..I will never make that mistake again..Does the EVO have a similar mode ? Can it be set BEFORE flight ? Thanks All...Martin..NYC
Don't you have VPS turned on? It shouldn't drift more than .5 feet to each side.

Don't you have VPS turned on? It shouldn't drift more than .5 feet to each side.
I may have confused things...i was referring to my Mavic pro...apparently you can only put it into TRIPOD mode AFTER it is up and running...in that short time,it crashed

Does the EVO have a similar mode that can be set BEFORE flight ? That would be perfect for me to get familiar with my STILL UNOPENED Evo

IF i was not in NYC and in a more rural,i would be flying BOTH ..EVERY day..sadly (in this instance) i am in the middle of wall to wall people/buildings/cars/buses/etc. and my flying area is extremely limited...flying indoors with the EVO would be just what i need...Does it have a similar setting( as TRIPOD mode in my Mavic) where i can fly indoors...and can be set BEFORE indoor flight...i would hate to have to go through crashing again and getting hurt...Thanks for the help..so very much appreciated

I may have confused things...i was referring to my Mavic pro...apparently you can only put it into TRIPOD mode AFTER it is up and running...in that short time,it crashed

Does the EVO have a similar mode that can be set BEFORE flight ? That would be perfect for me to get familiar with my STILL UNOPENED Evo

IF i was not in NYC and in a more rural,i would be flying BOTH ..EVERY day..sadly (in this instance) i am in the middle of wall to wall people/buildings/cars/buses/etc. and my flying area is extremely limited...flying indoors with the EVO would be just what i need...Does it have a similar setting( as TRIPOD mode in my Mavic) where i can fly indoors...and can be set BEFORE indoor flight...i would hate to have to go through crashing again and getting hurt...Thanks for the help..so very much appreciated
I understood you were referring to your Mavic. It doesn't need to be un tripod for VPS to be engaged. The Tripod mode are for the lateral sensors and you are correct. Can only be engaged while in flight.

It is not recommended to fly the Evo indoors. It only has front facing and VPS sensors while in normal flight and the back sensor when in follow me mode. The Mavic has 6 direction sensors, so tripod works well indoors.

Reactions: swings16
There is a "precision" mode on the EVO that is the equivilent of "tripod" but to be honest, I can't remember if I ever tried to change to that mode will still on the ground...
Maybe if the motors are just started but not off the ground? I will have to check that next time I fire up the EVO.

At what percentage does it reach the 3 volts per cell? 10% or closer to 2%?
0% SHOULD be 3 volts per cell but it depends on how Autel set that up in the programming. I wouldn't ever fly below 8% or so. And if I did, I would be really close to the ground and over the landing pad. Actually to be safe, at 22% I'm on my way down to the landing pad. Then hover over landing area until deep discharge lever it met. 8%

Was running the batteries down to 50% on my EVO indoors today. It was about two feet off the floor and just sat there keeping itself steady with very little movement. Had vision off. It was in a small room and with the vision system on it was much more unsteady as it tried to compensate.

0% SHOULD be 3 volts per cell but it depends on how Autel set that up in the programming. I wouldn't ever fly below 8% or so. And if I did, I would be really close to the ground and over the landing pad. Actually to be safe, at 22% I'm on my way down to the landing pad. Then hover over landing area until deep discharge lever it met. 8%
So the EVO autolands on 8% give or take?

Care to do an experiment for your interwebz friend Ansia? :D
I will be more than happy to when the temperature warms up a bit. It's cold as crap outside. I live in the south just below Atlanta and I don't get along with unseasonably cold. :(

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ghost183