Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Battery Drop - Am I Jinxing myself?

Squirrel!

Reaction score
Hope I'm not Jinxing myself but, I have only had the battery drop issue twice with 2 different batteries, one being a bad battery that they had already replaced. And I still use that battery-for shorter missions of course.

But, since those drops a month + ago, I have flown ALL my batteries several cycles since, taking them LOWER than 30-35%, and not one 'drop' or 'sudden/emergency' landings, since the original 2 times.

And I also haven't read of any recent horror tales of battery drops. I still fly with the "Battery too cold" warning and never an issue. 98% of the time the warning goes away before I begin my mission. The other 2% it was so cold out, it never went away. But that day I purposely took it down to 28% before landing...no battery drop.

So then, as this IS NOT a 'repeatable' issue, I am wondering if it is/was an issue with Starlink? Is it possible Autel tweaked it a bit and the battery drop is no more? Not that it matters as long as the drop doesn't happen again, but I am curious if others are still having the issue and just not reporting it or if they too, like myself, haven't had any issues?

Is it possible Autel tweaked it a bit and the battery drop is no more?
Just curious, has there been a Starlink update since you experienced the battery drop problems or did Autel do something for you to corrected your problem?

Just curious, has there been a Starlink update since you experienced the battery drop problems or did Autel do something for you to corrected your problem?
And thus, what my question is. Whatever was done, if anything, is unbeknownst to me.

I honestly think it’s a LiPo issue in general. The technology is complex, and needs TLC. All drone makers have issues with sudden battery power drops. DJI & Autel both emphasize doing a deep cycle every 20 cycles, 10 in cold weather.

Since this is an issue that can potentially contribute to a lost of aircraft (me), it is beyond me why this is not in a big, bolded text-box in the Autel manual. It’s only mentioned in the paperwork that comes with the battery. I now religiously deep cycle every 15 flights, and pay very careful attention to the batteries. I number each one, and log each cycle. The StarLink App gives great detail on the battery in the aircraft...

Yes, all of mine are numbered and used in succession. I too keep an eye on the battery info available to me, ESPECIALLY after my 2nd battery drop.

I don't think it is the batteries or it would be repeatable. I truly believe the issue is a bug somewhere in the battery/Starlink FW.

Are you charging prior to flying. I read something that I found online, tried finding it again and could not. But the guy was talking about battery discharging being set to two days. If you leave the battery sitting for the time it takes to discharge and you will have a battery drop. Since then I have been charging the day before I fly or the day of, and since then with the updated starlink I have not had that issue again. I did have it once and Autel replaced my battery.

So...Starlink 'did' update...cool.

No, I still fly the way I always have...I have 5 batteries and it is usually 2 or 3 days before I get to using (and recharging) them.

I got my XSP in March of 2017 and have never updated starlink or firmware. I have three batteries and never a drop. Sometimes I don't use them for many days after being charged. The other day, at 25* I sent the XSP up and the battery would not die. I brought down at about 50% because my fingers were froze. That battery was charged about 5-days prior.

One thing I will say is I now put the battery on the dash of my truck and heat it for a minute or two, and I never get the cold battery warning anymore.

Reactions: Squirrel!
I got my XSP in March of 2017 and have never updated starlink or firmware. I have three batteries and never a drop. Sometimes I don't use them for many days after being charged. The other day, at 25* I sent the XSP up and the battery would not die. I brought down at about 50% because my fingers were froze. That battery was charged about 5-days prior.
My experience is similar. The last update was in August with 2.0.1, & I've never had a battery drop or other problem except for cold hands.

I had a battery issue Fri. It was low on total amps. Contacted Autel and a relacement is being sent. I had a couple replaced eariler. One in August and one in September. I put those 2 on the shelf unopened saving for a time needed. So after Fridays issue i opened them. Both were DEAD. Will not light up and will not take a charge. Contacted Autel and had a couple replys then nothing. Don,t know what they want or need or are going to do. Sent the pics of the Batt. as requested. Gave them info as to when replaced and by whom. So waiting till tomorrow and hoping for an update.

Good morning Wayne
I had one battery that would not light up. After many attempts of holding the on\off button for long periods of time and the charger plugged in it finally started to charge. My guess is the batteries get down to around 3.0 per cell and need a kick start. Comes down to just how much time you want to try and kick start them I guess.

Yep, I had to do that to my batteries when I fist got my XSP. I guess they were on the shelf for a while.

After reading this I checked the 2 batteries I just bought and they are fine. whew!!

That's why I'm leary when I see batteries on sale. Are they old and need to be gotten off the shelf?

I had two replaced last Summer. According to S/Ns, both were older than the ones being replaced. One was DOA and had to be replaced again. The replacement S/N was even older yet. That battery won't fully charge and has dropped me twice.

As to less reports of dropping. I contribute some of that to pilot adjustments. Me included. I don't fly my batteries below 40% anymore. I fly around moving equipment a lot. I'm not getting my drone ran over by a tractor or combine because I was trying to squeeze out another 2 or 3%.

I can only speak of my personal situation. I had never experienced a drop until I did .12 update. After the update all of my batteries have dropped me at least once.

I'm going to try diligence in regards to discharge/recharge. If I don't get resolution then I'll go back to Autel for replacements.

Here's a question for everyone.... So I'm flying and my battery drops me. Instantly critical landing with 1 or 2% left. Is that battery discharged? So I don't need to recharge and then run it down to 7% as described in the manual?? If so, all of my batteries have been thru that process and dropped me later.....

I agree with ovszd. The one battery I got on sale was white, I should have known better. It’s “dropped” on me twice in 18 cycles, all in 75-80F weather. I did a textbook deep cycle and it’s been fine, but I never fly it over ground I cannot retrieve it easily. I also noticed it dropped in overall capacity faster than any of the 6 batteries I have...

Here's a question for everyone.... So I'm flying and my battery drops me. Instantly critical landing with 1 or 2% left. Is that battery discharged? So I don't need to recharge and then run it down to 7% as described in the manual?? If so, all of my batteries have been thru that process and dropped me later.....

As you probably already know when load is taken off a battery it will jump up 2,3 and even 4% so I would say you are right about in that range for a deep discharge.
Untitled-1.jpg

Good morning Wayne
I had one battery that would not light up. After many attempts of holding the on\off button for long periods of time and the charger plugged in it finally started to charge. My guess is the batteries get down to around 3.0 per cell and need a kick start. Comes down to just how much time you want to try and kick start them I guess.
I keep trying. Hope it kicks in. Strange that they were new sealed never opened. Hope to get autel back talking to me tommorow.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
xander0791