Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Autel to stop supporting some EVO II drones from May 2023

What to Expect: EVO II V1 & V2 Series Support​

Company News2022-11-09

On 10/28 we launched our exciting new EVO II V3 lineup. This new chipset upgrades key features of our well-loved EVO II Series, including increased range, better camera quality, and Live Deck compatibility.

While we’re excited about this new evolution, we know that users worldwide have come to know and love their V1 and V2 models. We want everybody to know that we remain committed to you.

While production of older versions has ended, sales and maintenance support will be available through these dates:

• EVO II V1 Series – May 2023
  • EVO II V2 Series – October 2024

We recognize that the V1 Series is rapidly approaching its end of support. In the case parts aren’t available for service, we’ll offer you a discount on similar V2 products through your dealer or retailer of choice.

Questions can be sent to [email protected]

Thank you for choosing Autel Robotics.

Link:

Did they ever really support anything they sold? Sounds like a small loss to me. The good news is so far they don't seem to have locked the FW for the batteries to only work in VIII drones so we should be able to get batteries for quite some time.

Did they ever really support anything they sold? Sounds like a small loss to me. The good news is so far they don't seem to have locked the FW for the batteries to only work in VIII drones so we should be able to get batteries for quite some time.
I wouldn't give them any ideas in this area... but you're right in that's a positive. Having enterprise models in the mix this time around helps, it's likely batteries will continue to be produced for a while.

I think it is time to part company with Autel kit. I purchased an Evo II V1 some two and a half years ago then upgraded to a V2 Enterprise a year ago. Whilst for me the hardware is excellent the Explorer app has been very disappointing and has hardly changed ice it was introduce. Autel have ignored suggestions that were made more than two years ago meaning I had to hold onto the DJI Inspire 2, which amazingly is still current. I will change out to Mavic 3 Enterprise kit.

Reactions: Wargamingdrone
Our company has 14 E2P and 8K versions as well as the RTK. We have had them for over 2 years, and replaced batteries on these recently. They get used every day 4 to 5x a day each, so they more than pay for themselves. We bought several Nano+ as well in order to aid in warehouse spaces, RE jobs, and so on.
We have not encountered a single issue with any of these birds. Our pilots are very well versed in drone use, understand the limitations, risk factors at a site etc.
We also understand that drones have a shelf life, just as cameras, instrumentation, and other electronics will have the same.
We will likely purchase the V3 units. We have tested the Mav 3 a few times, and an overwhelming number of our pilots here want to stay with Autel. These guys were all DJI users up until the first gen E2P. That bird sold so many on the Autel line.

Our company has 14 E2P and 8K versions as well as the RTK. We have had them for over 2 years, and replaced batteries on these recently. They get used every day 4 to 5x a day each, so they more than pay for themselves. We bought several Nano+ as well in order to aid in warehouse spaces, RE jobs, and so on.
We have not encountered a single issue with any of these birds. Our pilots are very well versed in drone use, understand the limitations, risk factors at a site etc.
We also understand that drones have a shelf life, just as cameras, instrumentation, and other electronics will have the same.
We will likely purchase the V3 units. We have tested the Mav 3 a few times, and an overwhelming number of our pilots here want to stay with Autel. These guys were all DJI users up until the first gen E2P. That bird sold so many on the Autel line.
I totally get what you are saying re: the quality of Autel drones versus DJI. But I have a HUGE HOWEVER...

You may have heard the term once burned twice cautious? Well that applies here. When I saw Autel abandoning support for their older products, I realized I might not be as lucky as you. I know you said you have "more than paid for" your investments, and I get that.

But honestly, don't you have a problem with companies that make things then stop supporting the things they make? They are in the business of DELIBERATELY making stuff that will end up in the dump. That isn't even good for the environment, let alone alienating existing customers. Although I have two Evos, I never intend to buy again from Autel specifically because I won't contribute to e-waste, but I also think it is morally wrong to bring a product to market KNOWING that you will abandon it and your existing customers, and hope ot make it up by "announcing the next 'exciting' product" Yeah, it's exciting, but only to Autel, as they laugh all the way to the bank...

I totally get what you are saying re: the quality of Autel drones versus DJI. But I have a HUGE HOWEVER...

You may have heard the term once burned twice cautious? Well that applies here. When I saw Autel abandoning support for their older products, I realized I might not be as lucky as you. I know you said you have "more than paid for" your investments, and I get that.

But honestly, don't you have a problem with companies that make things then stop supporting the things they make? They are in the business of DELIBERATELY making stuff that will end up in the dump. That isn't even good for the environment, let alone alienating existing customers. Although I have two Evos, I never intend to buy again from Autel specifically because I won't contribute to e-waste, but I also think it is morally wrong to bring a product to market KNOWING that you will abandon it and your existing customers, and hope ot make it up by "announcing the next 'exciting' product" Yeah, it's exciting, but only to Autel, as they laugh all the way to the bank...

I certainly agree with you 100%, but if you want to own a drone you have no options. Both DJI and Autel does the exact same thing in every way. DJI doesn't support their older products either, the only reason why it seems like they do is because they are so large that 3rd party companies product aftermarket parts and recycled batteries years after DJI has ended support.

I am also with you 100% that I hate adding to landfill waste. I now go out of my way to buy quality products not just because I want them to last but also because I don't want them to end up in a landfill in a few yrs (or less). One of my personal pet peeves is companies that produce products like Jackery that has great marketing but it takes some real digging to find out the battery is only good for about 500 cycles and it is non-replaceable when it dies.

Unfortunately, nearly every product you buy these days is considered disposable and has some form of built-in planned obsolescence the day you buy it. For me, Autel's lack of geofencing is its sole redeeming value that will prevent me from ever going back to DJI for the foreseeable future. There are so many better ways DJI could handle that situation (remove geofencing for enterprise models, remove it if you submit your Part 107 documentation, etc.), but they refuse.

I agree with you as well but I don't believe most companies totally abandon their product. You might not see new sw updates and you might not see the product on the front page of their e-store but you never know to what extent they'll go. Usually end of life is a nature thing, it doesn't mean they plan to totally forget all about the product and the people who own them. Often times you can get a replacement with a more recent product and this is going to be case-by-case and not for everybody which is why it won't be advertised. Ultimately we all had to give up on our Motorola StarTac phones (I loved that phone) and these days, the life cycle is getting shorter and shorter so plan accordingly is the rule.

Reactions: mkdelatorre

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sky3d