Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Autel II Pro for Agriculture mapping

dbehr01

Reaction score
Hi, Any experience with using the Autel II Pro for mapping for Agriculture applications such as Orthomosaic / DSM and performing Index calculations, such as VARI Index ?

Hi, Any experience with using the Autel II Pro for mapping for Agriculture applications such as Orthomosaic / DSM and performing Index calculations, such as VARI Index ?
Yes. You can do it in Pix4DFields, download and use the trial version to see what you can do.
Still, with RGB sensor you cannot make same thing as with Multi-spectral.
Vari index can be calculated but I don't rely on this information from RGB camera, only from MS.
Just try for free and see it.

Agree with @GeoDrone SRL that RGB based veg. indices cannot be always used as a riable source of information but will give you an idea of what is going on with crops. You will not be able to e.g compare flight to flight results/crops' performance and make real time series analysis etc. Radiometrically calibrted MS offers that. Furthermore it (MS) gives you access to narrow bands which are a great source of info about vegetstion.
Still, RGB gives you a chance to make stand counts, calculate height and volume of the crop and some more.

Good luck flying ag fields!
Share with us how it is going.

Reactions: dbehr01
I use MAPIR Autel EVO II Survey3 Bundle ( Mounts ). This bundle allows you to carry 1 or 2 MAPIR Survey3 cameras ( Survey3: Multi-Spectral Survey Cameras ) on your Autel EVO II (V1 or V2). Each camera can be easily rotated to adjust the tilt angle. An additional GPS mounted on top of the drone will allow matching the position of MAPIR Survey3 Cameras with those of the EVO II (RGB). MAPIR Survey3 Cameras are 12 MP (RAW+JPG) dual lens 87° or 41° HFOV and six filter options available (RGB, OCN, RGN, NGB, RE, NIR).
Flight characteristics are not significantly altered, and it is an excellent solution at a very reasonable cost. Using cameras with different filters, it is possible to obtain most of the possible indices for agricultural and other uses. In addition, with the same acquisition you will always have high-resolution images from the EVO II camera. Greetings from Italy

Reactions: dbehr01
Agree with @GeoDrone SRL that RGB based veg. indices cannot be always used as a riable source of information but will give you an idea of what is going on with crops. You will not be able to e.g compare flight to flight results/crops' performance and make real time series analysis etc. Radiometrically calibrted MS offers that. Furthermore it (MS) gives you access to narrow bands which are a great source of info about vegetstion.
Still, RGB gives you a chance to make stand counts, calculate height and volume of the crop and some more.

Good luck flying ag fields!
Share with us how it is going.
Thx. @Pawel , I have tested an Autel II mapping flight with Pix4dFields for Ortho and VARI index. How can you calculate 'height' of crop with Autel II ?

I use MAPIR Autel EVO II Survey3 Bundle ( Mounts ). This bundle allows you to carry 1 or 2 MAPIR Survey3 cameras ( Survey3: Multi-Spectral Survey Cameras ) on your Autel EVO II (V1 or V2). Each camera can be easily rotated to adjust the tilt angle. An additional GPS mounted on top of the drone will allow matching the position of MAPIR Survey3 Cameras with those of the EVO II (RGB). MAPIR Survey3 Cameras are 12 MP (RAW+JPG) dual lens 87° or 41° HFOV and six filter options available (RGB, OCN, RGN, NGB, RE, NIR).
Flight characteristics are not significantly altered, and it is an excellent solution at a very reasonable cost. Using cameras with different filters, it is possible to obtain most of the possible indices for agricultural and other uses. In addition, with the same acquisition you will always have high-resolution images from the EVO II camera. Greetings from Italy
Thx. @Avy2IT , Which crops do you survey ? Can you pls. share which filters you are using and which indexes do you use for the crops ? Which SW do you use for processing ? I note that MAPIR have their own Cloud SW for processing.

Dear dbehr01,
I am a geologist and a professional avalanche forecaster and I use MAPIR equipment to define the surface characteristics of the snowpack while the EVO II camera is also used for normal photogrammetry (creation of the DSM/DTM). I therefore have no practical experience in the field of agriculture (apart from a few attempts out of pure personal curiosity on wineyards) although I have good skills in the use and interpretation of multispectral images.
I use one OCN (Orange, Cyan, Near Infrared) and one NGB (Near Infrared, Green, Blue) MAPIR survey3 camera and this is sufficient for my needs. There are two possible ways to process the indices: use specific software with numerous presets (but they have the disadvantage of being quite expensive and often limit the processing to the presets available, it is obvious that the more you pay, the more the software allows you to process); use GIS software (QGIS, SAGA, ESRI ArcGIS) with some plug-ins (this second option requires an advanced mastery of GIS tools and a minimum of competence in the field of spectral indices but offers the maximum flexibility and processing capacity). MAPIR makes its own plugin available for QGIS and Micasense, I believe, has also done something similar.
Here's how I would proceed if I were you: a) you have to search online for the reference reflectance spectrum for the type of plant you want to analyse. Every mineral, plant or animal on the surface of the earth has its own spectrum and knowing this spectrum allows you to work out which bands to use to extract the information you are looking for. For plants, I know that there are reference spectra for the same plant species in different states of health and degree of growth. Alternatively you can use the simplest indices (e.g. NDVI) but there are up to 62 different indices that allow you to measure chlorophyll content, photosynthetic activity, absorbed energy, hydration state, carotenoid or anthocyanin content,etc.. b) Before the field survey, you should always measure the reflected solar radiation on the reference panel provided with the camera (remember that if the sky conditions change significantly - shadows, clouds, etc. - it is advisable to interrupt the survey and redo the measurement on the reference panel); c) once you have acquired the multispectral images, you can analyse them individually (one frame for each band of your sensor) or assemble them first in a photomosaic (again one for each band of your sensor) and then analyse them. To do this, you can use photogrammetry software (Pix4d; AgisoftMetashape; WebODM; RealityCapture), some of which are already set up to work with hyperspectral images.
On YouTube look for the following channels for better hints: MAPIR Camera; MicaSense; Travis Parker; Hans van der Kwast; UCANR-IGIS. Please find attached a table list of the main indexes. Regards, Avy2IT

Attachments

• SNAG-0275.jpg
    SNAG-0275.jpg
    244.5 KB · Views: 3
Dear dbehr01,
I am a geologist and a professional avalanche forecaster and I use MAPIR equipment to define the surface characteristics of the snowpack while the EVO II camera is also used for normal photogrammetry (creation of the DSM/DTM). I therefore have no practical experience in the field of agriculture (apart from a few attempts out of pure personal curiosity on wineyards) although I have good skills in the use and interpretation of multispectral images.
I use one OCN (Orange, Cyan, Near Infrared) and one NGB (Near Infrared, Green, Blue) MAPIR survey3 camera and this is sufficient for my needs. There are two possible ways to process the indices: use specific software with numerous presets (but they have the disadvantage of being quite expensive and often limit the processing to the presets available, it is obvious that the more you pay, the more the software allows you to process); use GIS software (QGIS, SAGA, ESRI ArcGIS) with some plug-ins (this second option requires an advanced mastery of GIS tools and a minimum of competence in the field of spectral indices but offers the maximum flexibility and processing capacity). MAPIR makes its own plugin available for QGIS and Micasense, I believe, has also done something similar.
Here's how I would proceed if I were you: a) you have to search online for the reference reflectance spectrum for the type of plant you want to analyse. Every mineral, plant or animal on the surface of the earth has its own spectrum and knowing this spectrum allows you to work out which bands to use to extract the information you are looking for. For plants, I know that there are reference spectra for the same plant species in different states of health and degree of growth. Alternatively you can use the simplest indices (e.g. NDVI) but there are up to 62 different indices that allow you to measure chlorophyll content, photosynthetic activity, absorbed energy, hydration state, carotenoid or anthocyanin content,etc.. b) Before the field survey, you should always measure the reflected solar radiation on the reference panel provided with the camera (remember that if the sky conditions change significantly - shadows, clouds, etc. - it is advisable to interrupt the survey and redo the measurement on the reference panel); c) once you have acquired the multispectral images, you can analyse them individually (one frame for each band of your sensor) or assemble them first in a photomosaic (again one for each band of your sensor) and then analyse them. To do this, you can use photogrammetry software (Pix4d; AgisoftMetashape; WebODM; RealityCapture), some of which are already set up to work with hyperspectral images.
On YouTube look for the following channels for better hints: MAPIR Camera; MicaSense; Travis Parker; Hans van der Kwast; UCANR-IGIS. Please find attached a table list of the main indexes. Regards, Avy2IT
Hi @Avy2IT ,Thx. for the detailed reply. I have purchased a MAPIR Survey 3 OCN and RGN cameras for the Autel II Pro for mapping over Ag. fields with the Autel Explorer App.
Hope to process the NDVI with an offline SW Package such as Metashape or similar, which have a Raster calculator.
I also have the reflectance Panel .
I hope to compare the 2 NDVI,s from RGN and OCN, as noted in MAPIR blog on OCR.

How much flight reduction time you got with both cameras mounted on Autel ?

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elio-Italy