Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

ATTI flight mode for Autel EVO

Ya but what I see in your laws is the government just passed you to fly without GPS. To me that means no matter how you achieve ATTI you have a government licence to fly that way.

So if you own a Mavic or Evo, you are automatically disqualified in CASA's test? Well that is some BS right there.

So if you own a Mavic or Evo, you are automatically disqualified in CASA's test? Well that is some BS right there.
You would have to do the test with a drone that allows you to switch between GPS and ATTI. Let me describe one part of the test. You take off in GPS, travel forward 10 metres and establish hover over a marker. The instructor tells you to switch to Atti and then reaches across, juggles your left stick so that the drone loses orientation and returns control to you. You must re-establish control and return to hover in Atti within going outside an unmarked 2 metre point from the centre marker. Easy if there is no wind, not so if it is blowy. You get two attempts at this. If you fail both, you fail the entire flight test and must start again from scratch. Fail the flight test twice and you must reschedule the entire course. Another part of the test, again two fails and you’re out, is you takeoff in Atti and follow a course that includes avoiding markers laid out as a tree line, then land still in Atti. So, you can see why Mavic and EVOs, for example are useless for such tests.

Last edited:
You would have to do the test with a drone that allows you to switch between GPS and ATTI. Let me describe one part of the test. You take off in GPS, travel forward 10 metres and establish hover over a marker. The instructor tells you to switch to Atti and then reaches across, juggles your left stick so that the drone loses orientation and returns control to you. You must re-establish control and return to hover in Atti within going outside an unmarked 2 metre point from the centre marker. Easy if there is no wind, not so if it is blowy. You get two attempts at this. If you fail both, you fail the entire flight test and must start again from scratch. Fail the flight test twice and you must reschedule the entire course. Another part of the test, again two fails and you’re out, is you takeoff in Atti and follow a course that includes avoiding markers laid out as a tree line, then land still in Atti. So, you can see why Mavic and EVOs, for example are useless for such tests.
I would love to take that test. Can foreigners take the test?

Is that test to receive the Australia equivalent to the 107 in the states, or do you have different levels of licensing there?

Sounds pretty much like the UK has.
In Canada starting in June you do have to pass a online test and to go for a flight review for the more advanced license. (equivalent to the 107 in the state ) It is not setup very well for the review part as you might have to travel someplace that actually has a review center. I passed the basic test and found it pretty easy although there were some tough questions. I see no reason to go for my advanced as I don't need to fly in a NFZ to take my videos or pictures. There is only one international airport 30 miles away from me so I do not have to worry about that one. Come June 1st any farmer or air field that is not Certified and is only Registered with Transport Canada I only have to give way to manned aircraft around them. I can take off and land in their fields if I wanted to as long as I give way. 99% of sea based sites cannot be Certified either so that opens up a lot of places I can fly where I could not before.
The new laws coming in June are a lot better then what we had before.

Sounds pretty much like the UK has.
In Canada starting in June you do have to pass a online test and to go for a flight review for the more advanced license. (equivalent to the 107 in the state ) It is not setup very well for the review part as you might have to travel someplace that actually has a review center. I passed the basic test and found it pretty easy although there were some tough questions. I see no reason to go for my advanced as I don't need to fly in a NFZ to take my videos or pictures. There is only one international airport 30 miles away from me so I do not have to worry about that one. Come June 1st any farmer or air field that is not Certified and is only Registered with Transport Canada I only have to give way to manned aircraft around them. I can take off and land in their fields if I wanted to as long as I give way. 99% of sea based sites cannot be Certified either so that opens up a lot of places I can fly where I could not before.
The new laws coming in June are a lot better then what we had before.
What about the surface and ceiling for flying drones? I forgot how it goes, but I believe I read somewhere you cannot fly under 250' and above 400' or something of the sort. How is it now and how will it be within a month?

Never been under 250 but right now it is set to 300 feet which will change come June 1st to 400 feet. Right now we cannot fly at night and that will change again on June 1st as long as you have a light on your UAV.

Reactions: Ansia
Im going to show a little bit of my ignorance here, but I'm a hobbyist thinking about testing the professional waters a little around here.

What service is it that farmers hire drone pilots for? I imagine all farmers would like a 3d map of their fields for drainage planning and the like, but people seem to talk about working drones in agriculture a lot.

If there's one thing I have an abundance of where I live, it's farms.

Im going to show a little bit of my ignorance here, but I'm a hobbyist thinking about testing the professional waters a little around here.

What service is it that farmers hire drone pilots for? I imagine all farmers would like a 3d map of their fields for drainage planning and the like, but people seem to talk about working drones in agriculture a lot.

Crop health would be one area to get into but you would need a different camera for that or you could get into crop spraying but you would need one of those large UAV's for that. The EVO is very limited on anything like that. Even DJI you would have to upgrade a lot to do what you are talking about. Lots of 107 pilots around not making money. If it interests you I say go for it but its a hard business to break even on.

There are various services, but with this you will have lots of work.

I would love to take that test. Can foreigners take the test?
Not sure. As a citizen I had to provide proof of ID. I would have thought the FAA test might have included something similar?

Is that test to receive the Australia equivalent to the 107 in the states, or do you have different levels of licensing there?
It’s for a Remote Piloting Licence (RePL) under CASA 101, which allows you to fly for hire.

Yes that is a simple work around but my god man Autel needs to get with it and let you guys assign something to those two stupid buttons on the bottom of the RC which could be used to turn off GPS ?
Totally agree!
Autel should make those two buttons behind the remote more customizable.
I would like one button to be for cycling through Flight Modes and the other one for Digital Zoom (quick press - zooms-in increments of x1, long press - zooms out), that would be sweet!

Reactions: Nightbat2

I am a farm manager.
i used to do field scanning with DJI Phantom and processing images in DroneDeploy. It is too time intensive and as @Augustine mentioned, for better results you would need a better camera. I am not sure if Autel is offering a better camera for NDVI (i don't think so).
I agree with Augustine, it may be hard to make money doing the field scanning for farmers. Today there are more and more online companies offer satellite imagery which is refreshed daily and is very fordable. We just signed up for ~6000 acres for about $1000/a year.
One reason I purchased EVO is, it is compact and very fast to get flying from my pickup. With DJI Phantom it took me 20-30min to set it up and fly. DJI takes for ever to lock-in the satellites.
So far, I have flown the EVO only ~4 times. I do like the DJI Phantom 3 Pro camera better. I'll be tweaking the EVO camera settings more!

so my new evo just goes into atti mode randomly.. its near me i havent flown today just hovered about the yard and messed with settings. tried it with controller and with phone.

what could be causing this? fyi I updated to the latest firmware today while messing with settings and it still does this. flown several times in this area so signals should be the same. nothing's changed anywhere.

also to note it goes up super slow and will not fly forward..

Last edited:
There's a hack with Mavic 1/2 where you can use and old version of DJI assistant to reassign the tripod mode switch to ATTI. Otherwise the global method is just cover the GPS receiver section of the case with some tinfoil before takeoff and drone will remain in ATTI mode.This should work for any make.

Reactions: Nightbat2

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MFJ