Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Altitude does not read out correctly

johnnycat500

Reaction score
I have a Evo2 pro and noticed that the altitude is off. Yesterday I was flying with a friend that just received his Evo 2 pro. We both took off and he went to 8' high and hovered. I went to 8' also and my Evo was about 6.5',but it was reading 8' on the controller. I downloaded the obstacle avoidance calibration tool to check if the bottom censor needed re-calibration, but all sensors were good with no need to calibrate. Anyone know why altitude does not read correctly? Thanks

I have a Evo2 pro and noticed that the altitude is off. Yesterday I was flying with a friend that just received his Evo 2 pro. We both took off and he went to 8' high and hovered. I went to 8' also and my Evo was about 6.5',but it was reading 8' on the controller. I downloaded the obstacle avoidance calibration tool to check if the bottom censor needed re-calibration, but all sensors were good with no need to calibrate. Anyone know why altitude does not read correctly? Thanks
Use just the controller display and see what the ALT is. Don't connect the phone or app. If it is NOT off, then the issue is from the app. If it is off, then it is something else with the drone software.

Use just the controller display and see what the ALT is. Don't connect the phone or app. If it is NOT off, then the issue is from the app. If it is off, then it is something else with the drone software.
Thanks for the reply! I will check it out.

Evo pro 2 6k here, same story: altitude (ie. vertical height of aircraft from take off point) is rather random. Equally random is the altitude (above sea level) of the take off point. I recalibrated everything before every flight. Yet It behaves erratically sometimes indicated height looks ok especially when hovering a few meters above the ground . Other times it s really off the chart, always displaying a much greater altitude vs reality

Is the Alt spec in the details of the photo Metric?

Funny since I never really paid much attention to this.

In the OP's instance, probably not. A variation of 2 feet is well, WELL, within the bounds of the hardware within any drone of this price range.

Reactions: johnnycat500
In the OP's instance, probably not. A variation of 2 feet is well, WELL, within the bounds of the hardware within any drone of this price range.
Yeah we shot around 290-295 ft, and we got 88-91 on the images.

Something I never paid much attention to.

for the fun of it we flew a MP and the same issues of EXIF altitude happened, but some were worse 50' showed 0 alt, 150' showing 13, 200' showing 28. If they get those #'s from a crappy $1 barometric sensor, then it is no surprise the data on the image is way off.

Googling this for M2P shows many complaints of the same issue. There are some EXIF data tools that look like scripts (yukkk), but this should be fixed. Having to do workarounds for mapping kinda sucks. Glad I am not doing that right now, but I have considered it. Some of our guys do, but most of that work is done with Hex birds.

Last edited:
One guess: Perhaps you need to turn on the drone and way a few minutes before take off.

Getting a good Lat/Long reading is fairly fast with a good GPS; however, getting altitude correctly requires more satellite. And the barometric sensor can only be as accurate as the GPS - and only as long as pressure does not change.

One guess: Perhaps you need to turn on the drone and way a few minutes before take off.

Getting a good Lat/Long reading is fairly fast with a good GPS; however, getting altitude correctly requires more satellite. And the barometric sensor can only be as accurate as the GPS - and only as long as pressure does not change.
No, it's a problem with Mavic's as well. Our M2P's do similar and are off a ton, or sometimes close to correct Alt.. but it's never right. Some kind of converter has been used to convert the EXIF data in the photos.

I have an Evo 2 pro and my son, who has one as well. I notice on both drones, just before they land, the altitude could be displaying -20 feet. When it lands, it quickly zeros itself out. I could be 25' above my take off point and it will display 6'.
I have calibrated everything, but I'm not sure how you calibrate the altimeter.

I have had this problem for 6 months. The logged altitude may be between -7m and +11m out (that's about 40ft). My cell phone will not record altitudes of less than zero (if I start at a zero point and fly below this). The Explorer app does not record logs on my cell phone (after 22 December 2020).

I have an Android phone (Samsung Galaxy S8). For a while the Air Data app used to work but no more.

I received my Autel Pro 6 K in about August 2020. Its now January 2021. There are several posts on this forum from me about this issue and many emails from me to Support. I have had 3 contacts from the Support team on this issue and things remain un addressed and unchanged.

Reactions: bkw_196
Yup! There have been many issues that seems to consistently persist that Autel has been made aware of. At this point, Autel seems tone deaf. I don’t have logs being recorded on my iPhone either. Not comforting. I feel your pain buddy. I’m giving it one more update and if things aren’t better, I’m dumping it. I rarely fly it because I cannot trust it at this point. It pains me because the video and camera is on point, the platform is lacking. Keeping my fingers crossed for an update soon. It’s been exactly a month since they released the last one that did nothing to improve things.

Reactions: bkw_196
Yup! There have been many issues that seems to consistently persist that Autel has been made aware of. At this point, Autel seems tone deaf. I don’t have logs being recorded on my iPhone either. Not comforting. I feel your pain buddy. I’m giving it one more update and if things aren’t better, I’m dumping it. I rarely fly it because I cannot trust it at this point. It pains me because the video and camera is on point, the platform is lacking. Keeping my fingers crossed for an update soon. It’s been exactly a month since they released the last one that did nothing to improve things.
Sadly, I am in the same boat. Awesome photos and videos but I just can't trust it. Its fair enough to be a few feet out but the variability in this drone is out of all proportion. Its interesting how the commercial flyers of these drones never have any problems. If someone turned up with an E2 to survey my property I would not accept the results.

I would add that I recently registered my drone for commercial use here in Australia and the Aviation Authority can request flight logs which is fair and reasonable. However, the flight log recorded by the E2P is not accurate in that it does not record altitudes below 0m. Who is at fault if the drone crashes into something but the flight log doesn't provide a defensibly accurate record of what was happening at the time?

On the Autel Facebook page is a post by a guy whose drone recorded a flight of 6000klm. Whilst he joked about it there are some legitimate questions about the software used in these drones. It seems to me that Autel just looks at individual issues rather than seeing a pattern. Fixing one bug creates another - as one example, the flight records started appearing in the Explorer>FlightLog folder on my phone in October last year, then disappeared in late December when the app was updated.

I have the E2 Pro and 8K, they are really good drones. I use them all the time for commercial use, and for fun... in fact, even job sites are more fun than not.

I don't get the issues others have other than occasional H tilt which for me here is mostly wind related since our DJI birds do the same thing.. we just learn to live with it.

Battery issues, cannot trust the drone... I don't get where that is coming from unless you plan on flying 5000 feet or more away... I always know where my drone is. I fly VLOS every time, so trust in the drone performance is just fine.

DJI also reports erroneous altitudes. I've tested this myself on my DJI birds and the data indicating altitude is just as random.

This kind of reminds me of users on Sony forums and FB groups that love the camera, but are pissed because the menu is different, and Sony won't change it.

I would add that I recently registered my drone for commercial use here in Australia and the Aviation Authority can request flight logs which is fair and reasonable. However, the flight log recorded by the E2P is not accurate in that it does not record altitudes below 0m. Who is at fault if the drone crashes into something but the flight log doesn't provide a defensibly accurate record of what was happening at the time?

On the Autel Facebook page is a post by a guy whose drone recorded a flight of 6000klm. Whilst he joked about it there are some legitimate questions about the software used in these drones. It seems to me that Autel just looks at individual issues rather than seeing a pattern. Fixing one bug creates another - as one example, the flight records started appearing in the Explorer>FlightLog folder on my phone in October last year, then disappeared in late December when the app was updated.
Who is at fault? You are!! That's just how it is, and it has nothing to do with flight logs. I have yet to hear one person get out of a conflict or crash issue using flight logs. They don't care about flight logs. There are no black boxes on drones. It's a simple consequence of risk. You have to evaluate every flight for risk...

Many DJI users have used Litchi, and crashed during automated flights.. One guy had the drone do some damage, and the drone pilot was all over the web blaming Litchi and DJI.. uhhh No, that is YOUR fault, because it is YOUR responsibility. Many suggested that he was not flight aware during the automation... bad move!

Bottom line is it is always the drone pic's butt on the line. Not the mfg, not the app, not the phone that crashed during the app use... All of those have been mentioned during crashes and losses of drones. FAA doesn't care about what app you use, or how good it is. That is on the RPIC, every time. Flight logs on a drone like this are not going to save anyone's butt from accountability in any crash situation. Flight log just merely gives the mfg some data to verify the pilot vs drone error. Either way, it's on the RPIC

More on the altitude and trusting the drone. I noticed on a recent flight while I was holding a steady altitude just above the ground, my Evo 2 pro slowly rose and descended approximately 20' with out touching the controls. While the drone was rising and descending, the attitude read out on the app did not change.

For me, this is a big concern, a lot of my flights are over the ocean, flying around light houses where if the drone crashes, there will be no recovering it.

I had contacted Autel about this issue and provided them with flight logs showing the drone landing with -20'. But the issue persists and is unresolved. I've been told the drone uses a combination of satellites and barometric pressure to determine its height. The recent flight when the drone was having difficulty maintaining altitude the app showed 21 Satellites, which I'm guessing should be enough and I'm sure the barometric pressure wasn't changing that quick while flying. So, there is some other part of the calculation that I am unaware of.

More on the altitude and trusting the drone. I noticed on a recent flight while I was holding a steady altitude just above the ground, my Evo 2 pro slowly rose and descended approximately 20' with out touching the controls. While the drone was rising and descending, the attitude read out on the app did not change.

For me, this is a big concern, a lot of my flights are over the ocean, flying around light houses where if the drone crashes, there will be no recovering it.

I had contacted Autel about this issue and provided them with flight logs showing the drone landing with -20'. But the issue persists and is unresolved. I've been told the drone uses a combination of satellites and barometric pressure to determine its height. The recent flight when the drone was having difficulty maintaining altitude the app showed 21 Satellites, which I'm guessing should be enough and I'm sure the barometric pressure wasn't changing that quick while flying. So, there is some other part of the calculation that I am unaware of.
We had some odd experiences with the E2P and E28K where the 8K on takeoff ascended kind of abruptly, and then slower until it reached to about 12', and the Pro ascended normally to about 5'. Same day, same time.. Available sats was bouncing from 10-13

We decided to try the M2P... fired it up, took off and damn if that one didn't go 9-10 ft in the air, and just jumped up at takeoff. We tested the same at a different location, and they all took off and hovered at around 5'... weird. Different companies, different drones, different experiences.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials