Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

900 MHz Band, Would Autel Listen to an Owner Petition?

What about the drone itself, does it already have the 900 MHz antennas in place or would it need to be added too?
I'l answer myself here... checking the tear down pdf, it appears at least, that the 900mhz antennae is/are in place in the drone itself.

If it is beyond our technical ability, let's create a bounty for activating the 900 mhz band, like the OG guys have for rooting the Mavic 2 (now over $5,000), after the Mavic Pro was successfully rooted. What would you pay to have that capability? NoLimitDronez could have an EVO FW mod! Maybe 4Hawks could create an external panel that uses both bands.

If it is beyond our technical ability, let's create a bounty for activating the 900 mhz band, like the OG guys have for rooting the Mavic 2 (now over $5,000), after the Mavic Pro was successfully rooted. What would you pay to have that capability? NoLimitDronez could have an EVO FW mod! Maybe 4Hawks could create an external panel that uses both bands.
I would take part in that, but how does something like that work? It doesn't seem fair for some to put up a bounty and others not, but still benefit from it. I mean I'm a nice guy but fair is fair. How do the dji guys do it?

Im in, lmk...

Ps- this is why I asked if there are any Autel engineers behind on their bills?

I would take part in that, but how does something like that work? It doesn't seem fair for some to put up a bounty and others not, but still benefit from it. I mean I'm a nice guy but fair is fair. How do the dji guys do it?

Im in, lmk...

Ps- this is why I asked if there are any Autel engineers behind on their bills?
It's crowdfunded coding. Everyone contributes whatever amount they want, depending upon their motivation and budget. If enough people contribute a small amount or a small number contribute a large amount, and the bounty is large enough to motivate the coders to work on it to earn the bounty amount, the resources are assigned to it. As the bounty gets larger, more coders are motivated to work on it. If it can be done, it eventually does get done. How the results are shared or sold is up to those who contributed to the bounty. Autel probably hasn't locked down their code as tightly as DJI, so it should be easier to crack and modify, especially if Autel already has the hooks and parameter mods to activate the 900 mhz in the existing FW code.

I hear that one of the Autel engineers wants to get his kid into USC. Know any athletic coaches at USC? We can set up a charity so he can deduct the "fee" which we can arrange to have reduced for 900 mhz help! ;)

It's crowdfunded coding. Everyone contributes whatever amount they want, depending upon their motivation and budget. If enough people contribute a small amount or a small number contribute a large amount, and the bounty is large enough to motivate the coders to work on it to earn the bounty amount, the resources are assigned to it. As the bounty gets larger, more coders are motivated to work on it. If it can be done, it eventually does get done. How the results are shared or sold is up to those who contributed to the bounty. Autel probably hasn't locked down their code as tightly as DJI, so it should be easier to crack and modify, especially if Autel already has the hooks and parameter mods to activate the 900 mhz in the existing FW code.

I hear that one of the Autel engineers wants to get his kid into USC. Know any athletic coaches at USC? We can set up a charity so he can deduct the "fee" which we can arrange to have reduced for 900 mhz help! ;)

Reactions: G_G
Boy all you Evoangelists are getting desperate. I understand your quest more then you know. Some of us old timers have been there done it. I wish you all the best. ?

Reactions: G_G
Boy all you Evoangelists are getting desperate. I understand your quest more then you know. Some of us old timers have been there done it. I wish you all the best. ?
Hope springs eternal. Without some big donors, or a lucky break, we don't have the critical mass of ownership that DJI does, plus DJI pissed off a lot of owners, motivating them to take back control and ownership of their purchases!

We were promised the fountain of youth. I am going to be the next Juan Ponce De Leon!

I know - right!

The FCC and various other agencies have spent the last decade - at least- re-aligning the frequencies -- and who can do what with them.

This may be outdated... but I wanted to show that there are other agencies that have vested interest in those frequencies. On ship and shore. these agencies all get first dibs at the airwaves -- things like our drones get secondary access to these frequencies.

Depending on your state -- the frequency range of the EVO may find more congestion or cause interference to anyone operating under their licenses.

Some states are worse than others -- and in some states -- the frequency operation is not allowed in all of the band like Wyoming or Colorado.

1553896481738.png

1553896837756.png

The rest of this document can be found here -- nice read if you are interested to know -- it just isn't hobbyists that are interested in these frequencies. There are commercial interests that will trump any other use in certain areas.

And do trust - if any modifications or general operation in any band causes a license holder problems -- they will try their best (we are not talking about the FAA or radar here -- The FCC will be using a different kind of tools called a spectrum analyzers and old fashioned triangulation... they will hunt you down!) to locate the source. The FCC does not play with interference in general -- but pays particular attention especially when emissions by amateur equipment are in fault.

902-928 MHz Band

An example scenario where unintended emissions caused quite a stir among several agencies -- and if they could hunt you down then (2004) - they most definitely can do so now. Once found - they can not only fine for for every day you cause interference -- they can sometimes go back and fine you for the past violations if it is bad enough - as to who or what you affected. Military, hospital, communications, etc...

Flat Screen TV sends SOS on 121.5 MHz:

I know - right!

The FCC and various other agencies have spent the last decade - at least- re-aligning the frequencies -- and who can do what with them.

This may be outdated... but I wanted to show that there are other agencies that have vested interest in those frequencies. On ship and shore. these agencies all get first dibs at the airwaves -- things like our drones get secondary access to these frequencies.

Depending on your state -- the frequency range of the EVO may find more congestion or cause interference to anyone operating under their licenses.

Some states are worse than others -- and in some states -- the frequency operation is not allowed in all of the band like Wyoming or Colorado.

View attachment 3992
View attachment 3996

View attachment 3998

View attachment 3997

View attachment 3993

View attachment 3994

View attachment 3999

View attachment 3995

The rest of this document can be found here -- nice read if you are interested to know -- it just isn't hobbyists that are interested in these frequencies. There are commercial interests that will trump any other use in certain areas.

And do trust - if any modifications or general operation in any band causes a license holder problems -- they will try their best (we are not talking about the FAA or radar here -- The FCC will be using a different kind of tools called a spectrum analyzers and old fashioned triangulation... they will hunt you down!) to locate the source. The FCC does not play with interference in general -- but pays particular attention especially when emissions by amateur equipment are in fault.

902-928 MHz Band

An example scenario where unintended emissions caused quite a stir among several agencies -- and if they could hunt you down then (2004) - they most definitely can do so now. Once found - they can not only fine for for every day you cause interference -- they can sometimes go back and fine you for the past violations if it is bad enough - as to who or what you affected. Military, hospital, communications, etc...

View attachment 4001
Can I get the cliffnote version of all that? ??

I know - right!

View attachment 3992
View attachment 3996

View attachment 3998

View attachment 3997

View attachment 3993

View attachment 3994

View attachment 3999

View attachment 3995

902-928 MHz Band

View attachment 4001
It would seem that Autel was on the cutting edge of adopting this secondary frequency before DJI, as the use of these frequencies "for command and contol of UAV's" is expected to increase, but Autel might have been told to cease and desist, at their peril, by the military, even though the FCC had already granted their approval!

I know - right!

View attachment 3992
View attachment 3996

View attachment 3998

View attachment 3997

View attachment 3993

View attachment 3994

View attachment 3999

View attachment 3995

902-928 MHz Band

View attachment 4001
I would be nice if there was a switch to turn off the 900 MGz radio and just use the 2.4 GHz transmitter should there be other traffic on that frequency in that area.

It's probably too much to ask, but if it would show 900 MHz traffic on the explorer graph as it does now for the 5, 10, 20 settings option it wouldn't be too hard to see if there is traffic. That graph is good for that at least.

It would seem that Autel was on the cutting edge of adopting this secondary frequency before DJI, as the use of these frequencies "for command and contol of UAV's" is expected to increase, but Autel might have been told to cease and desist, at their peril, by the military, even though the FCC had already granted their approval!

Correct.

Some of my rants may seem anti-government or anti-US -- when all they are trying to point out -- most of these agencies have been anti-consumer for many years and counting. Especially when commercial interests are at play. Even worse when dealing with any type of radio communications.

Anything having to do with the airwaves(FCC) is the same as anything having to do with airspace(FAA).

Someone else bigger than the consumer is going to claim dibs and push the consumer out of the picture.

This happens in other notable frequencies such as 3600-3650 (was used for fixed wireless operation and amateur radio in licensed and non-licensed use -- it too has become under commercial interests and when this band was created in 2005, everyone brushed it aside as unusable. Now it is being eyed for the cell phone companies as a potential 5G carrier. And even when you do hold a license, you can't just use the airwave for what you want -- you have to use it as granted like below.

3650 - 3700 MHz - Actions

Also 5250-5350 are some of the wirless 5.8GHZ channels we can access for our wireless use -- assuming you aren't close to an airport using these radars. The equipment was designed to scan the airwaves and permit or lock the channel use based on it's algorithm. This was their assurance that consumer gear "operating normally" could not interfere...

INFRASTRUCTURE DEVICES OPERATING IN THE 5250-5350 MHz

Last edited:

Before this idea was brought up, what I first thought is paying someone to do this out of my own pocket and then selling it to whoever wants it to make my money back.

I live close to a fairly well known engineering school with a good sized robotics program, my cousin is a professor there, I was thinking about going through a little program they have just for this type of thing... well not cracking into a companies locked code, but using students to solve engineering issues for a price, helping startup companies with robotics, tooling, coding, etc... those guys are pretty sharp, I'd guess they could probably do it.

But I like this idea better, especially if it's going to take $5k to find anyone interested.

I would be nice if there was a switch to turn off the 900 MGz radio and just use the 2.4 GHz transmitter should there be other traffic on that frequency in that area.

It's probably too much to ask, but if it would show 900 MHz traffic on the explorer graph as it does now for the 5, 10, 20 settings option it wouldn't be too hard to see if there is traffic. That graph is good for that at least.
Indeed. DJI gives you the choice of complete Auto Occusync swtching between 2.4 and 5.8, or Auto channel selection on one band or the other, or Manual channel selection on either band, while seeing traffic on all channels within each band . Autel could do the same with 2.4 and 900. I'd settle for 2.4 and 5.8 on the EVO, but 900 is already there!

Before this idea was brought up, what I first thought is paying someone to do this out of my own pocket and then selling it to whoever wants it to make my money back.

I live close to a fairly well known engineering school with a good sized robotics program, my cousin is a professor there, I was thinking about going through a little program they have just for this type of thing... well not cracking into a companies locked code, but using students to solve engineering issues for a price, helping startup companies with robotics, tooling, coding, etc... those guys are pretty sharp, I'd guess they could probably do it.

But I like this idea better, especially if it's going to take $5k to find anyone interested.
I like your idea better! Count me in as a purchaser! If you have those resources available to you, that is a far faster route, as the EVO user base is so small that we need a guy like you with access to non-owner coders. It is unlikely we have coders among us.

The current size of the M2 bounty is not because the coders weren't interested at a lower price. It was $1,000 a month ago. The original guys just did it on the Mavic Pro for the challenge, and for their own personal use. The bounty was created to reward them to also do so for the M2 they might not own, and as an incentive to keep trying, only because it has been so difficult that it has taken longer, and to encourage outside bounty hunters to also assist. The longer it takes, the bigger the bounty gets, as more people buy M2's and want to contribute to the cause. DJI locked the M2 down pretty tightly, after the Mavic got hacked. Autel didn't have the resources or need to do the same with the EVO at time of production, nor even remove the disabled 900 Mhz hardware. No one has ever hacked an Autel drone before. Should be child's play for engineering students!

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aerugo