Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

900 MHz Band, Would Autel Listen to an Owner Petition?

900 MHz band is known as the ISM band (industrial, scientific and medical) and is governed by not just the FCC in the US but by an international organization. The use of this band is allowed by the public in region 2 of the world which is North and South America. It's not real clear to me but it looks like outside of region 2 the public is not allowed to use the 900 MHz band. I'm not positive about this. In the United States the band is allocated to radio amateurs and to cordless phones, wireless weather stations, baby monitors, garage door openers, and all kinds of other consumer electronics. The caveat is that anyone using this band must accept any possible interference from any of the primary users which is industrial, scientific and medical thus it is the ISM band. But having said all that I can tell you that I have used 900 MHz for years with absolutely no problem. Some of my FPV video gear is on 900 MHz and flying the planes out around congested neighborhoods never resulted in interference like it sometimes will on 2.4 GHz because of all the Wifi coming from each and every house. There is way more garbage generated in the 2.4 GHz (also an ISM band) than most any other band. 900 MHz works very well for range but more importantly for object penetration.

For more information on ISM bands you can read here. ISM band - Wikipedia

Reactions: Apollo11capcom
900 MHz band is known as the ISM band (industrial, scientific and medical) and is governed by not just the FCC in the US but by an international organization. The use of this band is allowed by the public in region 2 of the world which is North and South America. It's not real clear to me but it looks like outside of region 2 the public is not allowed to use the 900 MHz band. I'm not positive about this. In the United States the band is allocated to radio amateurs and to cordless phones, wireless weather stations, baby monitors, garage door openers, and all kinds of other consumer electronics. The caveat is that anyone using this band must accept any possible interference from any of the primary users which is industrial, scientific and medical thus it is the ISM band. But having said all that I can tell you that I have used 900 MHz for years with absolutely no problem. Some of my FPV video gear is on 900 MHz and flying the planes out around congested neighborhoods never resulted in interference like it sometimes will on 2.4 GHz because of all the Wifi coming from each and every house. There is way more garbage generated in the 2.4 GHz (also an ISM band) than most any other band. 900 MHz works very well for range but more importantly for object penetration.

For more information on ISM bands you can read here. ISM band - Wikipedia
Thanks for clarifying any confusion, and validating the benefit of the 900 MHz band. Now, if we could only enable it on the EVO, with the already installed 900 MHz antennas, and per the FCC approved specs. It's not like the FCC approval was denied. It would be completely within FCC compliance, even if we enabled the 900 MHz band without Autel's permission, unlike other mods that illegally amplify the approved 2.4 Ghz power outputs.

I found this today looking through some PDFs and thought it was pretty interesting.

Apparently at the time of this PDFs creation there was a "Channel Mode" where you could switch between 900M, 2.4G, and Automatic.

Where's MY Channel Mode!?! (Pink Floyds 'Wish You Were Here' playing softly in the background).

Screenshot_20190420-190059_Drive.jpg

I found this today looking through some PDFs and thought it was pretty interesting.

Apparently at the time of this PDFs creation there was a "Channel Mode" where you could switch between 900M, 2.4G, and Automatic.

Where's MY Channel Mode!?! (Pink Floyds 'Wish You Were Here' playing softly in the background).

View attachment 4230
Automatic would have been great, just like DJI's Occusync 2.0 switches between 2.4 Ghz and 5.8 Ghz automatically, for best signal.

Automatic would have been great, just like DJI's Occusync 2.0 switches between 2.4 Ghz and 5.8 Ghz automatically, for best signal.
That's exactly what I thought when I saw it.

Heck, what would that have been like, Autels system matching Occusync 2.0... who knows, maybe it would have been better. Autel could have taken over as the best transmission system.

That's exactly what I thought when I saw it.

Heck, what would that have been like, Autels system matching Occusync 2.0... who knows, maybe it would have been better. Autel could have taken over as the best transmission system.
I suspect pressure was put on Autel to stay off the 900 Mhz band, even though the FCC approved it, to preclude interference with first responders. Autel claims that they wanted to sell in other countries where the 900 Mhz band is prohibited for public use, but that's no reason the cripple it everywhere, including here in the U.S.!

I suspect pressure was put on Autel to stay off the 900 Mhz band, even though the FCC approved it, to preclude interference with first responders. Autel claims that they wanted to sell in other countries where the 900 Mhz band is prohibited for public use, but that's no reason the cripple it everywhere, including here in the U.S.!
All you have to do if it exists, is get the firmware version, have AUTEL put it up on a FTP site. They should have the option to download previous versions if they were stable releases. This way an older version might be better for someone that never had any issues and might only work better on certain OS releases.

All you have to do if it exists, is get the firmware version, have AUTEL put it up on a FTP site. They should have the option to download previous versions if they were stable releases. This way an older version might be better for someone that never had any issues and might only work better on certain OS releases.
Firmware is not reversible. You can only go forward, not back unfortunately.

So I contacted Autel support a few days ago after I had rough landing when one of the props hit a plastic trash can about 2 feet from the ground. The drone took a tumble and one of the forward legs popped off. I was able to snap the leg back on very easily and there was no other visible damage and I flew the Evo for another 10 minutes with no issues. However, when I went back to the spot on my driveway where the leg popped off I found a narrow piece of circuit board about 6 cm long and 3mm wide with a single gold contact strip down the center. No wires or anything else attached.
I sent a picture of the piece (see below) to support and asked what it was and if it was safe to continue flying the drone.
Support responded and said "This piece is actually not necessary, and the drone will operate fine without it. It is a piece from an older 900mhz system that was not implemented in market. You should be good to go!"

Last edited:
So I contacted Autel support a few days ago after I had rough landing when one of the props hit a plastic trash can about 2 feet from the ground. The drone took a tumble and one of the forward legs popped off. I was able to snap the leg back on very easily and there was no other visible damage and I flew the Evo for another 10 minutes with no issues. However, when I went back to the spot on my driveway where the leg popped off I found a narrow piece of circuit board about 6 cm long and 3mm wide with a single gold contact strip down the center. No wires or anything else attached.
I sent a picture of the piece (see below) to support and asked what it was an if it was safe to continue flying the drone.
Support responded and said "This piece is actually not necessary, and the drone will operate fine without it. It is a piece from an older 900mhz system that was not implemented in market. You should be good to go!"
View attachment 4259
AHaaaa! Busted!!! Lol!

There you have it, the 900M guts aren't just a myth

I sent a picture of the piece (see below) to support and asked what it was and if it was safe to continue flying the drone.
View attachment 4259
Let me ask you something... is your remote an older version? Does your power button light red when charging and green when charged, or is there no light at all behind it?

Ive got one of the newer style remotes with the power button backlights and I don't recall seeing that piece when I did my antenna upgrade.

My thoughts are that the piece was meant to hold the 900mgh antenna but since they decided not to go that route the actual antenna is missing. It was just cheaper for them not to change the assembly line and not include the antenna parts. It cost big money to set all this up and for them to change something mid stream would have set them back a few months which they did not want.

Reactions: Madhungarian

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials