Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

6k&8k editing

Magboy

Reaction score
New to editing, but I was wondering is the power director 18 will function properly editing these two camera settings. I will post my laptop specs and would use any suggestions in that these would be a problem with the new evo 2.
Thanks

• 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-10510U
  • 15.6-inch diagonal 4K (3840 x 2160)
  • 16 GB DDR4 RAM
  • 512 GB Intel® SSD + 32 GB Intel® Optane™
  • Nvidia MX 250 2GB

The video card is too weak even for editing 4k videos. I have a video card with 8gb of ram and can edit 4k without issues.

Reactions: jcommstudios
A 2gb video card will have issues for sure. I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6gb GDDR 5 and also have no problems editing 4k.
The video card is the only weak point in that setup.

I will be using Power Director 18 on a external HDD specifically for that program.

The problem is the video card, not the HDD/SSD. Your internal SSD is plenty good for the job. Just a little small.

Your internal SSD will actually probably run the program better than the external too. The internal is likely an M2 SSD.

Last edited:
Reactions: macoman
The problem is the video card, not the HDD/SSD. Your internal SSD is plenty good for the job. Just a little small.
Also he is planning in edit 6k / 8k videos with the Evo 2 which will be worst than editing in 4k. There is not way he will be able to accomplish this in a 2gb video card.

This discussion highlights that Autel Robotics release of EVO2 appears too early with 8K. The cost of supporting the E2 camera is triple the cost of buying the E2. For example, A Dell 8K monitor costs over $1000. An 8K smart tv is cost $3-$4 K at present. Then add the software to update PCs!

Wouldnt you also need tons of internal temporary processing write space? the data has to be managed and coded somewhere while the final rendering is finalized.

I replaced my operating system to a solid-state drive and upgraded to Windows 10 and that did help with 4k editing....now they talking 8 K.....!!

Just when you get a bigger hampster you find you also need a bigger hamster wheel THEN they disrespect you and inform you, you going to replace your brand new hampster with a concrete mixer
concrete mixer.png

Reactions: Catweazle
Resolve likes at least 8GBs of video ram - that's RAM on the video card itself. If you use the render cashe you can edit just about any resolution. Resolve rocks.

There not much difference in editing 8k 6k or 4k video. The real issue is the data rate. If the aircraft is capped at a data rate of 120mbps that's the quantity of data your system has to deal with and process. You can saturate that data rate recording in 1080 at 120 FPS too. True 8k video camera put out something in the range of 500Mbps data streams. That's much harder to deal with. 120mbps is relatively easy.

Now you also may be technically able to render a video with a lower end machine, it will just take longer to do it. Also to consider what happens when you have several difference video streams that you are editing together, that's always harder. It's easier to just cut and splice a single video. A pro will be more likely using difference shots maybe from different cameras together on the same timeline.

How fast the system responds is important to consider. If you only render a video once in a while, you can handle a sluggish system and you can deal with not have any other apps running at the time. If you edit often and/or for work, you simply won't want any response delays and you want the preview to run flawless without prerendering. You also want to have the ability to run other apps, like keeping email open and such. Things you can live without if your not a pro.

I remember working at company doing mostly web work and just a bit of video work. This was during the transition Standard definition 4/3 video to HD 720 video. My system was choking on the larger HD video files. I asked my boss for a faster computer. He said, no it's not worth buying a new computer to spend a few less minutes editing. I brought him over to the computer and showed him that each splice or cut took 15 seconds for the computer to respond to. I then explained that the typical short video were were putting out had around 200 such cut and edits and each one took a minimum of 15 seconds assuming the system did not crash!

Now I am self employed and I decide when to upgrade my equipments. I would not consider any laptop for production editing. I believe you need a 1TB SSD and 64GB ram 8 core (or more CPU) running at t 4ghz or faster to keep up with modern video files. A good gaming video card helps too.

and what minimum internet upload/ download speed would be needed to show off the new 8K movies without freezing?

Youtube will never host 8k content. Recording in 8k is only useful for having the ability to crop in post production or use in full screen. Think of it like having a digital zoom without loss of quality as long as you only crop down to your output size. Most Youtube content is 1080. If you record in 8k you get 5.5 times zoom (6000 / 1080).

Reactions: Nightbat2
You don’t have to shoot in 8k. The 2 has a number of other apparent improvements that make it worth consideration.

I just ordered a new Alienware (Dell) gaming computer with Nvidea Gforce 1661Ti 6 gb video card, 556 gb ssd for boot, 2 tb hdd for storage, 16 gb ram, and 9th gen I7 processor. Hoping it will do better with editing 4K videos than my 8 year old HP did. That one had 10 gb ram, AMD 6 core FX processor of some kind, and a 2 gb video card. It would do 4K, but would take me going to bed and letting it cook overnight for it to render. As for playing them back? Nope..... I'm hoping this new one will work with DaVinci too.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials