Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

1st encounter with THE LAW

slimjimtell

Reaction score
MAX_0051.JPG The weather in the Carolinas is trying to turn warm...every other day it seems to change from warm to cold...weird weather!

So, my local NC group of MINI fanatics got together for a ride through the Mountains of NC and VA.

We met at a Kohls in Wilkesboro NC at 9:00 am, well before their 10am opening.

We wanted a drone pic, so out came the XTR, because you know I brought it.

Took several shots and NEVER went above the parking lot street lights. Put it away and we were having a drivers meeting when a police officer rolled up. Super nice guy!

He said that the Kohls Manager called and said there were ALOT of cars parked in his lot and there was a drone flying around. We had 18 cars and 1 drone very close by.

The officer asked who owns the drone, I stepped up and he said that I needed a license for it. I had to educate him on the drone and let him know that it is an FAA registered drone and I don't need a license. He was good and asked us to move on from the parking lot so not to upset the manager anymore. He agreed that the manager should have come talked to us and NOT called 911 which is apparently what he did. He was going to have a talk with him and went in the store to see him.

Now, I was on private property NOT owned by Kohls, so I was in the wrong for not asking while in a private property. Lesson learned!

I guess some people freak out over Drones and we all should be very cautious of these people and be respectful.

Even if there had been no drone, meeting on private property that is not open for business can be problematic for paranoid people. The drone was just the extra excitement a person needed to start having anxiety. A good manager would have taken the opportunity to invite you in out of the cold for your meeting and invited you to return during business hours. Headline would be"Mini Cooper gang invades local retailer, one drone recovered".

My friend in Orlando just told me the city has banned all drones, unless you get a permit from the city and jump thru all sorts of other hoops. Not sure if it's true or not, maybe somebody down there can confirm.

FTA: "A permit is required to fly a drone in these areas, which cost $20 per flight or $150 annually.

Those caught in violation of the ordinance will have to pay fines between $200 and $400.

City officials say that they want to encourage drone use in the city, but also make sure that popular public places are kept safe for citizens and tourists."

What a crock Orlando is, purely a cash grab by municipality, illegal imo and has kept me out of Orlando, hope they enjoy my lack of tourist dollars. Just follow the money for these permits and fines and you'll see it has nothing to do with keeping the public safe.

Even if there had been no drone, meeting on private property that is not open for business can be problematic for paranoid people. The drone was just the extra excitement a person needed to start having anxiety. A good manager would have taken the opportunity to invite you in out of the cold for your meeting and invited you to return during business hours. Headline would be"Mini Cooper gang invades local retailer, one drone recovered".
Sounds to me like his wife beats him at night and when he gets to work......... POS on steroids
I M H O.......

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58