Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

XSP NFZ...it's real

WildDoktor

Reaction score
I've heard that there are NFZs built into the XSP, but not had a chance to "try it out". I've got a request in with FAA to fly on the airport property, so I thought I'd better ask Autel if I'll be allowed to fly there.

Nope.

"Thank you for reaching out to us and I apologize it took a few days to get back to you. We are in the process of getting an updated list of the exact airports on the NFZ list. The one we have here is not current and unreliable.

That being said, with the airspace, tower and size of that airport I think there is a good chance you will not be able to fly at that airport. I know this isn't the best news and we do not have a firmware version to remove that restriction.

We are looking at removing the restrictions entirely in the future and leaving it up to the pilot to make the right choice. I hope this helps and let me know if I can do anything else for you!"

Wow. There goes that opportunity to make a nice chunk of change. :mad: Yes, I should have thought of this earlier.

So, now I'm looking at a DIY / professionally built drone based on the DJI Naza V2. Does anybody know if that is going to have NFZs baked in? I'll head out to the web and start doing some research, but if any of you know off-hand, that'd be great.

yikes.....is he saying the airport property is in a NFZ or the entire class D airspace?

IIRC Naza V2 does not work with most DJI 3rd party apps....at least i remember reading that at one point.

yikes.....is he saying the airport property is in a NFZ or the entire class D airspace?
Just the airport property; I'm flying with an FAA authorization within Class D airspace right now and it's fine.

IIRC Naza V2 does not work with most DJI 3rd party apps....at least i remember reading that at one point.
Oh, that would bite. Yikes.

Do you already have your waiver? If so, couldn't you just test it out before having any face time with your client? See if the baked in NFZ really works to prohibit you. Then if it does, could you switch to ATTI to circumvent this restriction?

Don't have my waiver yet. Will ATTI mode get around the limitation? Apparently the motors won't even start...maybe they will if I switch to ATTI? I'll have to ask Autel, i guess.

Don't have my waiver yet. Will ATTI mode get around the limitation? Apparently the motors won't even start...maybe they will if I switch to ATTI? I'll have to ask Autel, i guess.

I don't know. I am thinking the software may reference satellite position to map position. Perhaps you also need not load (refresh) the maps of your site location in the Starlink app? Somehow there must be a way to spoof it.

It'll be much harder to do a mapping mission manually, without GPS, and in ATTI mode. :)

Actually, Autel support comes thru again (everybody (but "that one guy") who is still there seems very, very helpful, even if you have to prod them once in a while). Tim got back to me yesterday after I suggested they just put a checkbox saying "my risk" and let us fly. He said:

"I should have that NFZ list here shortly and I just had a conversation with some of the developers about the list. We are indeed changing it to just a warning for the pilot. Were just not there quite yet. I will get back to you as soon as I have that list."

That change has to be in firmware, and unfortunately, it isn't in the firmware that's about to drop. So, that's still not good news. :-( I'll ask about ATTI mode.

Wow; Tim over at Autel has been fantastic! Here's what I got from him this morning:

"Thank you for your patience. I received the list this morning from China and that airport is not on it. So all I can say is to try and fly there. If it does give you a warning, they are telling me there is now a file I can give you that will get rid of that warning for that location. But since the list does not list that airport as of now, I won't be able to get you that file until we know there is an issue with that location."

That's pretty fabulous news, for all of us! I'll contact the airport manager here and ask if it's alright to do a "spin up" test on the airport property; if it won't start, then I'll ask Autel for the "file" and see if that makes it work.

Whew!

Reactions: Jagerbomb52

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
redwingaerials