Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

WTF?

Delta Blue

Reaction score
Website
lueb-art.pixels.com
When I ran across this guy's website recently, I noticed the following:

"Sean Lucas is insured and licensed drone pilot with the FAA (Part 107 license). Sean has earned his course diploma as a Drone Operator and completed the online FAA safety course for small unmanned aircraft systems. In addition to his compliance with the current FAA laws he has also received his FAA wavier to operate within the restricted airspace of Grand Junction regional airport. This means he is not limited to the "No fly zone" (5 mile radius) around the Grand Junction airport."

The Grand Junction airport is a Class D airspace and the tower is closed at night. How does one receive his waiver to operate within restricted airspace seemingly at will, unlike the rest of us who have to get authorization? EPVIDEOS Real Estate Video Tour Grand Junction CO

He said he has received a waiver; so he must have applied for it 3 months ago and finally received it. Class D airspace turns into Class G airspace when the tower closes.

I applied for the same kind of waiver about 2 months ago, so I'm eagerly awaiting an FAA rep to get a hold of it and begin processing it.

Reactions: Delta Blue
He said he has received a waiver; so he must have applied for it 3 months ago and finally received it. Class D airspace turns into Class G airspace when the tower closes.

I applied for the same kind of waiver about 2 months ago, so I'm eagerly awaiting an FAA rep to get a hold of it and begin processing it.
The wording just seems weird, because if it were a one time waiver he received it only lasts so long. I got the impression that it must be something more special because he mentioned getting it. I wonder why a person would mention having gotten an authorization for one time.

The waivers I've gotten are good for 6 months, that's probably the same with him.

Sent using Tapatalk

The waivers I've gotten are good for 6 months, that's probably the same with him.

Sent using Tapatalk
I actually just got a reply from him about the info on his website. He wrote that he talked to someone who extended it. It still is finite though, so it still seems weird. Oh well, live and learn.

I know that it turns Class G and thus there is no need for a waiver in that case. He actually replied back to my questions and told me his waiver for Class D had been extended a bit. When it runs out he will have to apply again I guess.

Yeah; I figure I'll re-submit mine in Sept. By Dec supposedly there will be an automatic approval system in place for 107 pilots, built by the FAA. To that I can only say hahahahahahaha! I hope I have to eat that laughter come Dec....

Sent using Tapatalk

Yeah; I figure I'll re-submit mine in Sept. By Dec supposedly there will be an automatic approval system in place for 107 pilots, built by the FAA. To that I can only say hahahahahahaha! I hope I have to eat that laughter come Dec....

Sent using Tapatalk
This is new territory for all of us even the FAA. We're like guinea pigs!

Yes this waiver process is a total pain. The crappy thing is you wait for months while turning down jobs while others are operating illegally all around you.....by the time i get my waivers my equipment will be obsolete :-o

Yes this waiver process is a total pain. The crappy thing is you wait for months while turning down jobs while others are operating illegally all around you.....by the time i get my waivers my equipment will be obsolete :-o
Good points. The big difference I see between those of us operating under regulation and those illegals is, we can freely promote and advertise our work without any worry while the illegals have to be careful to hide their identities.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacqueslambert