Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

What manual camera settings are you using?

jcommstudios

Reaction score
Website
jcommstudios.com
I have had the opportunity to shoot with the EVO a couple of times. 4K 60fps full auto and with no filters as well as a couple of different ND filters. The video is very good but I would like better control of the look I am after. My other drones will lock white balance to a card, I set the ISO at 100 and the EV at various settings depending on the amount of sunlight. I noticed the app allows you to tap an area for exposure settings in auto and it will lock to that exposure setting. How has that worked for you if you have done it? Has anyone tried setting Kelvin in manual mode (should be around 5300 for full daylight) and adjusting exposure, ISO and shutter speed manually? If so what settings have you been getting the best results at? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
I have had the opportunity to shoot with the EVO a couple of times. 4K 60fps full auto and with no filters as well as a couple of different ND filters. The video is very good but I would like better control of the look I am after. My other drones will lock white balance to a card, I set the ISO at 100 and the EV at various settings depending on the amount of sunlight. I noticed the app allows you to tap an area for exposure settings in auto and it will lock to that exposure setting. How has that worked for you if you have done it? Has anyone tried setting Kelvin in manual mode (should be around 5300 for full daylight) and adjusting exposure, ISO and shutter speed manually? If so what settings have you been getting the best results at? Thanks in advance!
I only use white balance in auto, just because the conditions in the air are ever changing, a thick enough cloud will completely change the white balance for example. I leave that up to the camera Gods and have never had a huge problem, while setting it manual I have run into issues. That said, even if the exposure can change as well with the visit of a cloud or whatever changes conditions, I run everything else manually. I don't like to talk preferred settings as there is no such thing, nature is ever changing and either I adjust while in flight or set to some happy medium and then adjust as clips in post, more so for photography as I always shoot raw, video either "none" or "log" giving myself some leverage.

I only use white balance in auto, just because the conditions in the air are ever changing, a thick enough cloud will completely change the white balance for example. I leave that up to the camera Gods and have never had a huge problem, while setting it manual I have run into issues. That said, even if the exposure can change as well with the visit of a cloud or whatever changes conditions, I run everything else manually. I don't like to talk preferred settings as there is no such thing, nature is ever changing and either I adjust while in flight or set to some happy medium and then adjust as clips in post, more so for photography as I always shoot raw, video either "none" or "log" giving myself some leverage.

I may have answered a few of my own questions. lol I just went out and flew using Kelvin settings rather than auto WB. The footage looked great on my flight monitor. Shot 4K_60 and am encoding it right now to 1080_30 via Brorsoft. Auto WB is something I have stayed away from as a pro video shooter i want all of my footage consistent as it is with my ground rigs. The problem with white balance shifting is you may have a subject that is in an area with a solid background but want to pull up to do a reveal with the sun in the shot. The auto WB has a tendency to darken the shot as the lighting changes. I will do a short edit of both settings auto and Kelvin and post it. I also shoot in normal or LOG depending what I want to do with it in post. I have found a LUT called Canon Cinematic that makes the footage pop. Real easy to adjust the pedestal in post with the LUT.

Reactions: Hamms and YuKay
Here is a short test of the camera settings. Day 1 was with the camera in auto. Day 2 was 5200 Kelvin locked. Did some post production to make the video pop a bit. Might have overdone it a bit on the first scene. lol

Last edited:
Hi

Can you post some pics here whith maximum résolution ?

AEB mode
HDR
JPEG

Thanks

Hi

Can you post some pics here whith maximum résolution ?

AEB mode
HDR
JPEG

Thanks
@Zigzag84 I shoot video predominantly and haven't dug into the still side of the camera...yet. Next time I fly I'll set up the still settings and shoot some and see what it can.. and can't do. I have snapped a couple of 4KUHD stills 3840x2160 as it will take pics while shooting video. They are only 72 dpi but 53"x 30". Here is a jpeg untouched shot in auto and a screen capture of the settings in Photoshop.

Attachments

• MAX_0004.JPG
    MAX_0004.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 48
  • resolution EVO.JPG
    resolution EVO.JPG
    89.4 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: Zigzag84
Here is a short test of the camera settings. Day 1 was with the camera in auto. Day 2 was 5200 Kelvin locked. Did some post production to make the video pop a bit. Might have overdone it a bit on the first scene. lol

These video and still samples look great. I bought an EVO but was toying with the idea of selling and buying the new M2Pro, but after seeing a critical image and sensor eval by Cliff Totten that shows the M2Pro was only using a portion of the 1 inch sensor I nixed that plan. Has anyone seen the Indiegogo crowd funding campaign for the new Hubsan Zino 4K UHD drone? WOW at $299 I could sharpen my Marine ( Yacht ) photography skills without stressing about drowning $1,000.

Reactions: jcommstudios
Whiskey, Tango,, Foxtrot, you're flying at an airfield?
@240 LOL...Roger that! It is privately owned and untowered. Kingdon Airfield in Lodi, Ca. Also used as an AMA RC flying club and for drag races. Not much plane traffic anymore other than some nice vintage planes on occasion that are hangered there by other members. The RC area is at the corner of the crosswind and downwind section. We all play nicely together! An AMA membership and $20 a month gives you a place to fly any time. Here is a better view. 1st flight with the EVO. I put an ND 16 on for the 2nd half of the video. I don't like what it does with the sky!

Last edited:
Reactions: gasquetmike

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuckster58