Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

video and photo editing software.

Filmora won't run on my old Toshiba. Laff if you will, but I'm using movie maker because I have only been running 1080p. For 4 k I'm using Power director but it takes 2-3 hours to render 4 k FOR 3 MINUTE VIDEO!

Dang. I exported a 5.74GB, 3:28 4K video in less time than it took to brew a cup of coffee a few days ago.

Happy for you! What PC do you have.

It's a purpose-designed homebuilt I put together in early 2020, It received one upgrade (the system SSD) since then.

Parts:
  • Intel i9-9900K processor, stock-clocked.
  • Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming MicroATX motherboard.
  • NVDIA 1660 6GB GPU.
  • 64GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR4 3200 system RAM.
  • Crucial P5 M.2 500GB NVMe system SSD.
  • Crucial P1 M.2 500GB NVMe working videos SSD.
  • Samsung 860 EVO 500GB SATA data SSD.
  • Seagate 4TB external HDD. I forget whether it's an EXOS Enterprise or an IronWolf Pro NAS offhand. It's one of the two. Probably the EXOS.
  • Corsair RM650 PSU.
  • Thermaltake Core V21 case, chosen for its excellent cooling characteristics (and because I like cube cases).
  • Noctua NH-U12A CPU cooler. Even during sustained renders, the core temps rarely reach 60C.
  • Noctua NF-P14s Redux exhaust fan.
  • Whatever 200mm intake fan Themaltake installs on the Core V21 case.
I also have an HDMI dummy plug in the Intel iGPU output to make the integrated video available to the system, mainly for Magix Video Pro X (which I still use from time to time and which requires an Intel iGPU for hardware encoding).

However, DaVinci Resolve also makes use of the iGPU, as well as about 40 percent of the NVIDIA 1660 and maxing out all the CPU cores, when rendering in Native Mode. That was a nice surprise. I think it uses the iGPU to calculate the effects, but I never bothered tracing to find out for sure. I do know that it's fast.

Typical system RAM use during 4K rendering ranges from about 24GB to 40GB. The 64GB gives me plenty of elbow room. It also uses about half of the NVIDIA VRAM.

I'm happy with it. It was kind of expensive, but still a good value performance-wise because none of the parts were bleeding-edge when I bought them. But it still makes renders coffee-break time rather than overnights. So I'm pleased,

The i9-9900K processor in particular is a powerful processor that was less popular than it deserved to be because it also was the end of the LGA 1151 line. Intel went out with a bang on LGA 1151, but there's no further upgrade path for that socket.

I still recommend the i9-9900K, however, for high-end machines on a budget if you need Intel (for example, for Magix software) and can find a decent Z390 mobo for it. It's a workhorse and a thoroughbred at the same time.

Last edited:
I think I might have mentioned it in another thread but I am a fan of davinci resolve and after using this speed editor for a couple of weeks, I'm a really a HUGE fan. I almost want to say I would pay $300 for the speed editor alone, never mind the studio upgrade. for those of us that are mostly new to video editing other than a title and a transition or two, the speed editor makes it a whole lot easier to knock out a professional-looking video in no time without having to spend a week. and for whatever reason, my non-M1 mac seems to be slicing thru 4k video with ease and sometimes chewing thru the 6k video with surprising speed as well. for those who are still looking or afraid to get in deep with complex video editing software , DR has these tabs and all you need to know is media pool, cut/edit tab, color, and render/deliver.

check out the speed editor: DaVinci Resolve 17 – Keyboard | Blackmagic Design

Reactions: GeekOnTheWing
I think I might have mentioned it in another thread but I am a fan of davinci resolve and after using this speed editor for a couple of weeks, I'm a really a HUGE fan. I almost want to say I would pay $300 for the speed editor alone, never mind the studio upgrade. for those of us that are mostly new to video editing other than a title and a transition or two, the speed editor makes it a whole lot easier to knock out a professional-looking video in no time without having to spend a week. and for whatever reason, my non-M1 mac seems to be slicing thru 4k video with ease and sometimes chewing thru the 6k video with surprising speed as well. for those who are still looking or afraid to get in deep with complex video editing software , DR has these tabs and all you need to know is media pool, cut/edit tab, color, and render/deliver.

check out the speed editor: DaVinci Resolve 17 – Keyboard | Blackmagic Design

Yeah, it's a hard deal to beat, especially with a perpetual license, two machines, and three-platform support. If you're building a dedicated video-editing machine from scratch, you can install the Linux version and pay zero for the OS.

I use it on Windows 10 Pro and have zero complaints about the speed editor or the software. It's among the best money I've ever spent.

As I mentioned above, I paid for DaVinci Resolve Studio version because it is SOOO much faster, especially for 4k, 10-bit video and nVidia GPU.
How much faster ? Do you’ve any side by side compare on how much time you save ?

How much faster ? Do you’ve any side by side compare on how much time you save ?
It would depend on the hardware. The differences in terms of speed have to do mainly with hardware utilization, for example, using the GPU for H.264 and H.265 decoding. I think there also may be a CPU core limit on the free version, but I wouldn't swear to that.

In other words, the more powerful the hardware, the more difference there will be. Studio can't utilize hardware that doesn't exist, nor fully exploit hardware that isn't very powerful. So if you were using an i3 with an iGPU, there would be very little if any difference. But with a more-powerful CPU and a dedicated GPU, there will be worlds of difference.

The other thing to consider is that it's not only the render, but the editing itself that's faster because you can do real-time H.264 and H.265 decoding on the GPU with Studio, which makes the editing process faster and smoother. You also have the ability to choose the rendering mode with Studio.

In my own case, Native Mode rendering with automatic GPU configuration and GPU H.264 and H.265 decoding works out fastest. It maxes out all the cores on the CPU and uses about 40 to 50 percent of the NVIDIA GPU. It's also using the Intel iGPU for something, although I don't know exactly what. What I do know is that it's fast.

But this is a pretty powerful machine. If I were using something less-powerful hardware-wise, there wouldn't be much of a difference.

Reactions: UasDriver
DaVinci is absolutely not for everyone. I chose this program because of the speed of rendering video, which is even possible on 10 years old processors, and allows you to do it faster than all existing programs. But I was disappointed by the bugs in loading the timelines, and the program itself constantly flopped. So, I replaced it with Adobe Premiere Pro. If I need to fix something very small, or erase an object I can pre-process at imgcleaner.com or some other free editors, I'm just google some free ones. Usually I use basic tools, but the main thing that the editor doesn`t leave a watermark.

DaVinci is absolutely not for everyone. I chose this program because of the speed of rendering video, which is even possible on 10 years old processors, and allows you to do it faster than all existing programs. But I was disappointed by the bugs in loading the timelines, and the program itself constantly flopped. So, I replaced it with Adobe Premiere Pro. If I need to fix something very small, or erase an object I can pre-process at imgcleaner.com or some other free editors, I'm just google some free ones. Usually I use basic tools, but the main thing that the editor doesn`t leave a watermark.

DaVinci Resolve is actually notoriously stable, but only if the editing workstation is set up properly, which is why I previously mentioned that it definitely is not beginner friendly.

There is a big difference between just getting it to install and getting it set up properly; and the fact that you mentioned 10yr old CPU is the first clue that you probably did not have the proper hardware configuration to have a stable install.

With a modern NVIDIA GPU, NVIDIA Studio drivers, a relatively newer Intel CPU, and the proper hard drive configuration you will literally never see DaVinci Resolve crash no matter what you throw at it.

Reactions: GeekOnTheWing

check out the speed editor: DaVinci Resolve 17 – Keyboard | Blackmagic Design Lightroom mod APK
Hello. I will soon be getting a new Dell laptop to edit the photos I take on my DSLR. I need feedback as to what the best possible editing software is out there for Windows and how much it costs. Looking to increase the number of photos I take this summer. Thanks in advance

Hello. I will soon be getting a new Dell laptop to edit the photos I take on my DSLR. I need feedback as to what the best possible editing software is out there for Windows and how much it costs. Looking to increase the number of photos I take this summer. Thanks in advance
I dont do a whole lot of photos, perhaps someone else can give you a better idea of the best photo editing software for your new windows machine.

For professional use unfortunately Lightroom has no equal. I say unfortunately because I hate paying the $10/mo subscription fee but I have yet to find something better and I have tried nearly all of the mainstream alternatives out there. TBH, none were even close.

For high speed batch processing FastStone is a good free program, I still use it to this day to process hundreds of images after a shoot to send previews to clients. It can also do some very basic color correction. Paint.Net is another free program that I use for simple editing, but only for finishing touches after post processing in Lightroom.

Moving up the chain a bit is ACDSee, I used it many years ago, it does cost but back when I used it, it was pretty well rounded and beginner friendly. Here is a decent article on Lightroom alternatives. I have tried them all at some point and none come close, but if you are just starting out then one of them might work for you. For me personally (and the reason why LR still has no equal) each of the 'alternatives' was missing something you just take for granted in LR; such as performance, accurate raw processing, copy/paste settings, presets, batch processing speed, organization, etc. Each one has some of it but not all of it.

DaVinci Resolve is free to use and can handle 10 bit video. Many youtube tutorials if you get stuck. There are a few others but DaVinci Resolve will do pretty much anything you need it to do. If your going to buy a editing software I suggest Wondershare Filmora. Very easy to use and it gets updated with new features very often.

DaVinci Resolve does have a big learning curve but like I said Youtube is your friend to learn the in's and out's.
I like what I've seen of DaVinci, but alas it just wouldnt install on our Laptops, possibly due to its Free c: drivespace requirements. Will give it another go eventually.

I like what I've seen of DaVinci, but alas it just wouldnt install on our Laptops, possibly due to its Free c: drivespace requirements. Will give it another go eventually.
DR has very minimal storage requirements during the install, I think less than 1GB is required and if you have less than that available you probably have other problems as well. More than likely it was your GPU or some other software preventing it from installing like Anti-Virus software.

DaVinci Resolve is free to use and can handle 10 bit video. Many youtube tutorials if you get stuck. There are a few others but DaVinci Resolve will do pretty much anything you need it to do. If your going to buy a editing software I suggest Wondershare Filmora. Very easy to use and it gets updated with new features very often.

DaVinci Resolve does have a big learning curve but like I said Youtube is your friend to learn the in's and out's.

The free version of DR will not let you edit 10 bit video. That along with some of the advanced noise reduction, AI features, GPU acceleration, etc. are only in the Studio (paid) version. But $300 for a lifetime of updates vs Premier Pro where you pay for a lifetime is a no brainer to me.

Latest threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigmaxsg