Welcome, Autel Pilots!
Join our free Autel drone community today!
Join Us

Vertical Datum for RS2 Emlid or any GNSS Reciever

jmason702

Reaction score
Right now I use NAVD88 (ftUS) EPSG CODE 6360 (geoid 18 but not labeled as such)

Does this include all lower 48 states, I see there are different EPSG codes for NAVD88
My concern is am I on the correct EPSG CODE 6360??

I am looking at Emlid Flow right now. I am assuming you are using a projected state plane for your horizontal and then using NAVD88 for your vertical system.
On my Emlid Flow whan choosing a state plane system, NAVD88(GEOID18) is one of my choices and it does not give an EPSG code for the vertical but does for the horizontal system. I did have to download the tif file with the undulation grid the first time I used it.
Are you on different firmware maybe? I haven't fired up my Emlids in a month or so.

Yes, 6360 is NAVD88 US ft.

On my Emlid Flow it has you choose both your horizontal and vertical systems and then choose if they are in US ft, ft or meters.

Are you still using Drone Deploy? In my opinion, it makes it harder to use vertical systems since it doesn't use geoid undulation grids and works more like Pix4D with an "arbitrary" vertical system (Vertical is derived from the images or the GCPs and cannot be determined from ellipsoidal as an orthometric height. But Pix4D will do orthometric IF you are using WGS84 with an EGM gravity model and or you want to output in WGS84 with a EGM model).

I did several tests using Drone Deploy's Elevation Calibration tool so that you use ellipsoidal elevations for your images and control points, then obtain an orthometric elevation from a control points and adjust your elevation. I then compared it to an Agisoft output where the Geoid 18 undulation grid was used. In a 35 acre project area differences were in the very low centimeter range at the high end and were usually in the mm range. So this is a feasible option if you ever wanted to use ellipsoid elevations.

On another note, have you gotten any cool new jobs recently?

Reactions: jmason702
Yes I have, I will respond later out the door for work at my new job, which has a drone program.

It should be on: Survey, + (To Start a new survey), Vertical Datum. It does not show when you use a geographic coordinate system. It will show when you choose a projected one.
1684794371193.png

Its just a tiff with the undulation grid for Geoid 18.

Right now I use NAVD88 (ftUS) EPSG CODE 6360 (geoid 18 but not labeled as such)

Does this include all lower 48 states, I see there are different EPSG codes for NAVD88
My concern is am I on the correct EPSG CODE 6360??
I have never used this EPSG before. The boundary seems to cover Alaska, the lower 48 and a lot of Canada. see NAVD88 height (ftUS) - EPSG:6360
But Why use it.
Most data recipients want either lat/long, or UTM with an Elipsoid datum or State Plane Coordinates with a Geoid datum. All of these Coordinate Reference Systems will have their own EPSG. EPSG 6380 will give reasonable elevation data, but the horizontal reference is pretty odd. In fact, The EPSG Zero location could render the X/Y data suspect depending how far away you are from Zero.
Remember if you're using a gravity model, you must update the data within a fraction of a month.
If you're going to that level of detail, you should also be considering EarthTides. In some parts of the Contiguous US, this could change 4' over a day.

Latest threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chen